In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Do you eat BBQ Sandwiches with Slaw ?

KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2019 in General Discussion
Or no?

Answering this question, will allow me to determine if you are from the South, or not.

What say Ye?

Comments

• Options
    beneteaubeneteau Member Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Always. The only way.
    0M9InwN.gif[
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Slaw sometimes, slawber....all the time!
  • Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Where in hell would you find BAR B QUE in Tennessee???? I mean they may have canned stuff or barbequed racoon but not the real stuff. That is here in N.C. son. I tried some in Mass. one time. The sign on the wall boasted real N.C. barbeque. Well I ordered a plate. The man asked me how I liked it when I was paying the bill. I told him it tasted like he had poured cough syrup on it and I wasn't lying. And yes slaw is just fine on a barbeque sandwich.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,094 ******
    edited November -1
    slaw not on sandwich,but as a side.
  • Options
    Aztngundoc22Aztngundoc22 Member Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK :

An Answer : Yes & No !!! can go either way !!!! on the sandwich OR as a side !!!

I hate to say it but : in this part of the world : The best BBQ is Famous Daves ( in Knoxville - 45 min. North ) ???

I luv really good BBQ : hard to find here ? No idea why ?

Thanks !!!
    The more people I meet : The more I like my Dog :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I Grew Old Too Fast (And Smart Too damn Slow !!!) !!! :o :?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Where in hell would you find BAR B QUE in Tennessee???? I mean they may have canned stuff or barbequed racoon but not the real stuff. That is here in N.C. son. I tried some in Mass. one time. The sign on the wall boasted real N.C. barbeque. Well I ordered a plate. The man asked me how I liked it when I was paying the bill. I told him it tasted like he had poured cough syrup on it and I wasn't lying. And yes slaw is just fine on a barbeque sandwich.

Best BBQ, anywhere around here, is from Mike's Southern Pit Smoked BBQ, about 7 miles from the house.

For years, when my Parents asked me what I wanted for Christmas, it was Mike's BBQ, with a side of sauce, up in the NY/NJ region. They would put it in the coolers Omaha Steaks would ship them to them.

Awesome stuff. Vinegar based sauce. Fresh Southern Cole Slaw, on a bun. Excellent fare.

YVMD.
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    About 92% of the time.

I like slaw on Hot Dogs too ;)
    RLTW

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Sam06 wrote:
    About 92% of the time.

I like slaw on Hot Dogs too ;)

My Man. :D

Please Sam, try and talk to Ricci. :o :shock: :? :lol: :roll:
  • Options
    edited September 2019

WTH, do you find good BBQ, in Wimington, NC? On the Coast?

Seafood, I get. BBQ, not so much.

Just the way you used the phrase, "BAR B QUE," tells me all I need to know, about your Southern BBQ knowledge/heritage.

Thanks for playing.

Sam, please help him. He obviously needs it, in reference to BBQ.

Firearms, Okay. BBQ, not so much.
  • Options
    buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    never did until I went to a restaurant that had "Memphis style" BBQ. had cole slaw on it. blew me away. went there every time I could until they went out of business. I think it takes a particular sauce, couldn't imagine that on Mesquite or KC style.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,228 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My first exposure to slaw on a BBQ sandwich was at the now-long-gone Coleman's BBQ chain in 1972, somewhere in northern Mississippi. It came as a pleasant surprise, and I've been eating it that way ever since.

That makes me a Yankee convert, I guess, LOL!

I am NOT going to deride anybody's opinion of what constitutes good or bad BBQ. Because it's ALL good. I grew up eating St Louis style, but dearly love Memphis, Texas, North Carolina, and any others you care to mention.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yes i eat bbq sandwiches and hot dogs with slaw. west Virginia
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Rocky Raab wrote:
    My first exposure to slaw on a BBQ sandwich was at the now-long-gone Coleman's BBQ chain in 1972, somewhere in northern Mississippi. It came as a pleasant surprise, and I've been eating it that way ever since.

That makes me a Yankee convert, I guess, LOL!

I am NOT going to deride anybody's opinion of what constitutes good or bad BBQ. Because it's ALL good. I grew up eating St Louis style, but dearly love Memphis, Texas, North Carolina, and any others you care to mention.

I heard you Brother.

It is All good. Love it all. Just messing with Folks here. I do that on occasion. ;):o :shock: :lol: :roll:
  • Options
    edited November -1
    varian wrote:
    yes i eat bbq sandwiches and hot dogs with slaw. west Virginia

Knew you were okay Brother. :D
  • Options
    Edspdog1Edspdog1 Member Posts: 225
    edited November -1
    Ye, yes, yes, slaw on BBQ and Hotdogs.
    Mike's BBQ is about 30 miles from the best BBQ anywhere.
    Ridgewood in Bluff city is second to none and I have eat BBQ all over the US.
    Too much salt water, messed up Ricci's taster.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Edspdog1 wrote:
    Ye, yes, yes, slaw on BBQ and Hotdogs.
    Mike's BBQ is about 30 miles from the best BBQ anywhere.
    Ridgewood in Bluff city is second to none and I have eat BBQ all over the US.
    Too much salt water, messed up Ricci's taster.

When are we meeting up for a meal Brother?

I see Murphy's in Boone closed down/ changed hands.

Wing night on Monday's, was pretty good.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Murphy's was the "go to" place several years ago. Use to be on 105 just past Sagebrush, moved down town and they went to pot. My 2 cents.
    I will make a run to MC some time in the near future and met maybe a Mike's or Pablo's. I think that is what the name is. Over next to the grocery store that is closing with the doggie goodies for sale.
    Might bring Ricci's 57 and 62 for a look see.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Edspdog1 wrote:
    Murphy's was the "go to" place several years ago. Use to be on 105 just past Sagebrush, moved down town and they went to pot. My 2 cents.
    I will make a run to MC some time in the near future and met maybe a Mike's or Pablo's. I think that is what the name is. Over next to the grocery store that is closing with the doggie goodies for sale.
    Might bring Ricci's 57 and 62 for a look see.

As well as the Monday night Wing night, they had the best French Dip, with Aus Jus, anywhere around here.

Poblano's my Brother. Excellent fare.

My treat, if we meet up there.

Either one. :D
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

WTH, do you find good BBQ, in Wimington, NC? On the Coast?

Seafood, I get. BBQ, not so much.

Just the way you used the phrase, "BAR B QUE," tells me all I need to know, about your Southern BBQ knowledge/heritage.

Thanks for playing.

Sam, please help him. He obviously needs it, in reference to BBQ.

Firearms, Okay. BBQ, not so much.

There are a few good BBQ places in Wilmington, you would be surprised.

Also Smithfields has really good BBQ and fried chicken at their locations and there is one not far from Ricci.

Come on down here and I will take you to the best BBQ joints in the state. Me and my Dad used to go on BBQ road trips all over NC and SC.

The only bad side is the so called Brunswick stew they have here. Smithfields is not too bad but most of these places have taken up the VA version that has Lima Beans in it. That is a NOGO for me anything with Lima Beans in it is not fit for a dog.

I would not feed Lima Beans to a Commie or a Muslim................. :lol:
    RLTW

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,199 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sam06 wrote:

how about a democrat???????
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hillbille wrote:
    Sam06 wrote:

how about a democrat???????
    Yea,....I'd do that!

As far as cole slaw on BBQ goes,....sometimes I do, sometimes not. I eat it on hot dogs on occasion as well.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sam, we differ on lima beans. Love 'em. Also butter beans, pintos, black-eyed peas...you get the picture. Ham and limas was one of the most detested rations in Vietnam, but I ate 'em with delight. Well, with acceptance. Because they weren't nearly as good as my Mom's version of ham and limas, but that's another tale as they say.

My 50-year concubine is going on a solo trip this week. Because of this post, I'm sorely tempted to whip up some ham and limas!
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    ?I would not feed Lima beans to a Commie or a Muslim?. You would if they were going 2800 FPS. Hahaha
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,724 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ?I would not feed Lima beans to a Commie or a Muslim?. You would if they were going 2800 FPS. Hahaha
    LOL!! :lol:
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,285 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Small family run joint near me in eastern NC . Grady's BBQ in Dudley NC. Older black couple , real pit cooked over oak coals . Go early sells out quick
    cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,770 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you never had BBWed possum shank with slaw well, you just don't know-!
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    I like it on hot dogs, where it takes the place of sauerkraut.
  • Options
    buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you never had BBWed possum shank with slaw well, you just don't know-!
    and I will remain blissfully unaware of that gastronomical catastrophe for a looong time.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

I'm from MA. We know fried clams but BBQ - not so much. Was in Holly Hills (I think) in NC many years back. Sweatmans BBQ, I think. Now that was BBQ. I think I'm still burping up brisket. :mrgreen:

BTW, we always called it "cole slawr" - never just "slaw".
  • Options
    Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The young me said, "No way! I want to enjoy my bbq."

The current me says, "Hell yeah!"

Jon
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,435 ******
    edited November -1
    I will admit (confession for a non-Catholic) that I did not know the difference between a sloppy joe and a BBQ sandwich until I was at least 30 yrs old!! :o :shock:

Grew up being told a MANWICH was BBQ and the lie rooted deeply into my memory banks. (and my taste buds)

Worse than that, cole slaw was never even offered as a topping let alone as a side dish unless it was chicken from KFC!

From all of this, being led down the wrong path regarding fine cuisine, I always used to deny BBQ as a choice even when the real deal was made available to me later in life. So here you have it. NO. I do not eat slaw on a BBQ sandwich. Out of ignorance, not because I'm a Michigander.
  • Options
    Quick&DeadQuick&Dead Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Or no?

Answering this question, will allow me to determine if you are from the South, or not.

What say Ye?

Never heard of doing such a thing........and I traveled the south quite a bit.
    The government has no rights. Only the people have rights which empowers the government.
    We have enough gun laws, what we need is IDIOT control.
    Blood makes you related. Loyalty makes you family.

I thought getting old would take longer. :shock:
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well, you really have to live there to get the full experience. After a few years, even a "Damn Yankee" import like myself learns the nuances of BBQ, cornbread, hush puppies, catfish, greens, grits, and purple hull peas. But not a drive through tourist.
  • Options
    Cling2mygunsCling2myguns Member Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Slaw yes, but on the side please. Also a good BBQ place leaves it to the customer to choose BBQ sauce and how much.
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Best BBQ in NC LOL LOL LOL

HAHAHAHA SC has them NC Q joints beat hands down.

Either Sweatmans in Holy Hill or if you like Mustard based sauce Piggy Park or Bessingers.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******
    edited November -1
    Of course I do. I'm not insane.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    mogley98 wrote:
    Best BBQ in NC LOL LOL LOL

HAHAHAHA SC has them NC Q joints beat hands down.

Either Sweatmans in Holy Hill or if you like Mustard based sauce Piggy Park or Bessingers.

I never could keep NC or SC straight - both talk kind of funny. Glad I got the name of the place right, been a while. And damn it was humid down there.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Anyone that eats BBQ with that yeller stuff slathered on it ain't right in the head. If and when I go through Columbia, SC it hammer down.
    Place there that serves only yellow BBQ, YUCK.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    May we assume that you've never eaten a mustard-based pork BBQ?