In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

PAST GD TIME

spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
edited December 2019 in Politics
to cut food stamps, and free food loaders......food aid must be limited to basic staples and nutritional items ...NOT steak, seafood,sugars, etc, etc..........it has been over 10 years now since i stood behind a hispanic at the checkout counter of our local small grocery and watched her choose among five cards to see who she was that day to load two heaped carts out to a cadillac escalade....i DO NOT OWE ANYONE FREE LUNCH

Comments

• Options
    bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I was a young airman, with a young wife and a young daughter, stationed in Biloxi Mississippi, we would walk to the grocery store to save gas money.
    On my pay we bought food for the week: bread, cheese, mayo, crackers, soup, and koolaid.

A large, loud black lady in front of us had a shopping cart heaped with steaks and roasts. I had never seen such wonderful cuts of beef much less tasted any.
    She checked out using only food stamps and nearly ran us down with her Buick leaving the parking lot.
    (The clerk apparently noticed us staring and after the lady chugged out with her cart, said simply, "She sells 'em.")

That memory still haunts me. I feel ashamed for my family.

And the situation is even worse today.
    I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are a lot of people who prove that in their case TANSTAAFL does not apply. They think their benefits just magically appear.

Judy helps with a community food bank at a nearby church. During the holidays they have recipients pre register so as to know how many family members so they can pack the boxes accordingly. Complaints range from don't like the brands of food to can't be inconvenienced to pick it up on scheduled days. Most recipients are grateful but the few that have that entitled attitude make you want to say "Screw it, you are on your own". Fortunately for them Judy is a saint and keeps helping so as not to penalize the truly needy and grateful ones. Bob
  • Options
    droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,367 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't ask Don't tell was the obama answer to food stamps and everyone was on them, except for folks on this board. :lol::lol::lol:

That's over, hopefully:
    Over 6 Million Americans Have Dropped Off Food Stamps Since Trump Took Office
    During the Trump administration?s first month, more than 42 million people were participating in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program. As of June 2019, less than 37 million people were participating in the program.
    https://www.theepochtimes.com/over-6-million-americans-have-dropped-off-food-stamps-since-trump-took-office_3074829.html
    I can pretty much guarantee the 6 million who got off food stamps were "cheating" or not qualified to receive the stamps and got out of Dodge before the new sheriff rounded them up.

A few days ago Trump proposed NEW RULES (ie: need to work?) and there goes another 700,000 deserving? off food stamps. OMG now what ?? will people start starving, or would they have, because of Trump ??? as Mark Dice would say. WHATS THIS,,, people starving !!!!!
    ?We?re taking action to reform our SNAP program in order to restore the dignity of work to a sizable segment of our population and be respectful of the taxpayers who fund the program,? Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue said, according to NBC News.

Perdue added, echoing the words of Ronald Reagan:

Americans are generous people who believe it is their responsibility to help their fellow citizens when they encounter a difficult stretch. That?s the commitment behind SNAP, but, like other welfare programs, it was never intended to be a way of life.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2019/12/06/ocasio-cortez-family-mightve-just-starved-under-trump-food-stamp-work-requirements/
    Ocasio-Cortez took issue with the requirements and claimed that her family ?might?ve just starved,? had they been in effect years ago.
    Really, AOC might've just starved and also her family if they didn't get food stamps. Well the reality is this:
    The rule applies to able-bodied adults between the ages of 18 and 49 who do not have dependents,? the think tank responded. ?The rule wouldn?t apply to parents with minor children, the elderly, or disabled people.?

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/leahbarkoukis/2019/12/06/aoc-tries-to-claim-her-family-may-have-starved-under-administrations-new-food-stamp-rules-n2557589
  • Options
    Quick&DeadQuick&Dead Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I recall back in the early/mid 50's the neighbor lady, a widow, received commodities (before food stamps) that came in boxes and cans imprinted military style writing like "C" rations for service members in the field. Commodities were surplus food stuffs the government purchased to support farm prices and used by the military.

Products like lard and peanut butter in gallon cans, cheese in blocks, crackers and other staples like oatmeal, etc. NO prepared foods to heat & serve or frozen goods. The neighbor lady lived with her disabled brother and when they received more than they could use, they would give some to the folks so it wouldn't go to waste. Those who grew up during the 'dirty 30's' never let anything go to waste! Anything that could be re-used was; like Christmas wrapping paper & ribbons, cardboard boxes, metal tins, jars, etc. plus kids ALWAYS got hand-me-down clothes when an older one outgrew them. With 2 older siblings, I wore mostly 'hand-me-down' clothing until in high school.

After commodities, there came food stamps ...... actual coupons (looked like monopoly money) used to purchase food in a grocery store instead of US currency. Many items could NOT be purchased with food stamps as it was limited to basic food stuffs. Therefore, It was not uncommon for some to just sell the food stamps for cash.

Then some idiots decided it was embarrassing to use the food stamps so they issued the cards that look like credit cards so others would not know they were sucking off the government teat! And the list of foodstuffs that could be purchase was expanded to nearly anything. Of course, that didn't/doesn't stop the teat suckers from taking orders and selling the goods obtained with the cash used for booze, cigarettes drugs, or whatever.

Going back to the commodity program would be fine with me. But I suppose the government would have to give cooking classes since most today don't even know how to boil water.
    The government has no rights. Only the people have rights which empowers the government.
    We have enough gun laws, what we need is IDIOT control.
    Blood makes you related. Loyalty makes you family.

I thought getting old would take longer. :shock: