In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Opinions on Walmart Open Carrier - Charges Warranted?

FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2019 in General Discussion
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/09/us/missouri-walmart-terrorist-threat.html

Curious what everyone's thoughts are on this. Granted, this guy was an idiot, open-carrying his rifle around Walmart to get attention after the recent shooting. That said, if it was legal for him to open carry and he wasn't making overt threats (which it sounds like he wasn't), then should he be charged with a crime? Just because recent events make it a sensitive issue, does that make an otherwise legal activity a "terroristic threat" (a felony)?

Personally, I think it is a slippery slope. Just because people FEEL threatened, doesn't mean they ARE being threatened.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    JasonVJasonV Member Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would ask what crime he committed?
    formerly known as warpig883
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    JasonV wrote:

+1

The only crime he committed is being a *. He is lucky he wasn't shot.
    RLTW

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    He reminds me of the clowns from a few years aback who walked in and around police stations for no reason other than to do it. Charge him with being a public nuisance, which he was. If the court recommends a psyche eval, he can kiss his guns goodbye for a while.
  • Options
    JasonVJasonV Member Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    MC makes a good point with the public nuisance idea.
    Trespassing or disturbing the peace possibly.
    formerly known as warpig883
  • Options
    edited November -1
    He reminds me of the clowns from a few years aback who walked in and around police stations for no reason other than to do it.

Yea, those guys make me furious. Abusing your rights and flaunting them in people's faces is a sure fire way to get those rights taken from everyone.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,555 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Charges Warranted?
    Of course, for just for going to walmart. Anybody who goes to walmart should be charged with a crime.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Charges Warranted?
    Of course, for just for going to walmart. Anybody who goes to walmart should be charged with a crime.

Fair point. And if you aren't already crazy when you go to one, you sure are by the time you leave. :D
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,339 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He is a World Class Dumb *.
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,867 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Agreed.
    Sam06 wrote:
    JasonV wrote:

+1

The only crime he committed is being a *. He is lucky he wasn't shot.
  • Options
    medic07medic07 Member Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depending upon how the state laws are written, he could be charged with Actions to Incite Panic.

Regardless of if that was his intent, that was the result that he caused.

He was definitely a * and that is not a crime. His actions had a detrimental impact upon the image of the lawful firearm owners. Why do these people need to be the center of attention?
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,037 ******
    edited November -1
    What if the licensed, gun-toting firefighter had just shot this yahoo in the back of the head rather than confront him?

Justifiable or not?
  • Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We damn sure do not need idiots like this on our side.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Not to get off topic.....but notice how every news story emphasizes the off-duty firefighter/former firefighter designation, as if that somehow gave the guy some kind of formal authority to carry a gun and intervene. Heaven forbid it just be a lawfully carrying ordinary citizen that "saved the day."
  • Options
    serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    JasonV wrote:

I would say crying fire when there was none. Open carry of long rifles in stores should be outlawed unless you just bought it there or getting it repaired.
    Inside a case too when getting to the counter too!

serf
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,822 ******
    edited November -1
    Horse hockey. Enacting a law that infringes on everyone?s right just because one person abused that right?
    The epitome of Liberalism.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    jimdeere wrote:
    Horse hockey.

Nope is bad publicity when politicians go to vote on your 2nd amendment rights. And it's coming! Red Flags laws along with FBI background checks for all gun owners continuously! That's what is called an universal background check now! Just watched them do it now!

You get a parking ticket they are going to know immediately! Big brother is truly watching you believe it or not.

serf
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    While I understand that his intentions were supposed to be ?good? his chosen method of displaying them sucked . Given the current political and moral situation, his actions draw unwanted ed and negative attention our way . Idiots behaving this way do more harm than good . There is still a statute on the North Carolina law books of ? going armed to the terror of the public?. As were were told many years ago ? the road to hell is paved with good intentions!?. Should be a charge of felony stupid on the books
    cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    nunn wrote:
    What if the licensed, gun-toting firefighter had just shot this yahoo in the back of the head rather than confront him?

Justifiable or not?

If I were on a jury I wouldn't convict either one. The * had a right to do what he was doing even though very stupid and the firefighter would be doing what he thought was the right thing to do if he had shot him due to all the recent shootings.
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,822 ******
    edited November -1
    serf wrote:
    jimdeere wrote:
    Horse hockey.

Nope is bad publicity when politicians go to vote on your 2nd amendment rights. And it's coming! Red Flags laws along with FBI background checks for all gun owners continuously! That's what is called an universal background check now! Just watched them do it now!

You get a parking ticket they are going to know immediately! Big brother is truly watching you believe it or not.

serf

?...the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed, except you can?t carry one into a store??
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,076 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In some places open carry is not legal, and Walmart stores differ in what they allow. One here allows open carry, another has "no firearms" signs (which legally are not the ones that prohibit concealed carry). In any event the guy is either an adolescent, or an idiot.
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    serf wrote:
    Nope is bad publicity when politicians go to vote on your 2nd amendment rights. And it's coming!

They can argue and vote on it until they turn blue but the 2nd amendment is not going to get repealed until 3/4 of ALL the states ratify it. These idiot politicians don't even know how an amendment gets repealed.
  • Options
    guns-n-painthorsesguns-n-painthorses Member Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do you have the right to open carry in Missouri?
    Do you have the right to open carry in this particular Wal-Mart?
    Are you carrying in a safe manner?

If yes to all three, your fears do not trump my right to carry. You either have the right or you don't.

See how easy it is to demonize your rights? Here you all are, on a gun board, complaining about someone who had the balls to prove a point. If you don't exercise your rights, you are bound to loose them. You can see plenty of these first and second amendment audits on You-Tube.

Watch a few of them and see just how authority respects your rights.
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    serf wrote:
    JasonV wrote:

I would say crying fire when there was none. Open carry of long rifles in stores should be outlawed unless you just bought it there or getting it repaired.
    Inside a case too when getting to the counter too!

serf

Yeah, right, let that camel stick it's nose in the tent. That's precisely how we got to where we are now.
  • Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,969 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do you have the right to open carry in Missouri?
    Do you have the right to open carry in this particular Wal-Mart?
    Are you carrying in a safe manner?

If yes to all three, your fears do not trump my right to carry. You either have the right or you don't.

See how easy it is to demonize your rights? Here you all are, on a gun board, complaining about someone who had the balls to prove a point. If you don't exercise your rights, you are bound to loose them. You can see plenty of these first and second amendment audits on You-Tube.

Watch a few of them and see just how authority respects your rights.

Yes Sir! And the same ones who say he should be prosecuted are the same ones who ask, "what is it about "shall not be infringed" do you not understand!
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Interesting replies so far. I ask everyone of you.. ever been in a Walmart and seen someone toting a long gun around the store dressed in swat gear , bullet proof vest ready to go to a fire fight? I cannot say I have. So when someone comes forth and enters the store What the Hell do you think they are up to? I would automatically think that something bad is about to happen. Or maybe a movie theater.. You know one just don't see folks carrying long guns to do normal business. And IF you own a firearm and make a poor decision to scare the hell out of people for no reason.. you are going to be held accountable. Start waving a gun around on a busy street. My educated guess is that law enforcement will tell you to put down the firearm and just cuff you. Responsible gun owners don't do ignorant stuff. He made good gun owners look bad. So a penalty will have to happen. I heard he was being charged with terrorism. Scaring folks isn't funny and he isn't a comedian . What if someone fell, had a heart attack or died because his stupid actions. He would be charged. And I hope they take all of his firearms away forever. He is a time bomb waiting to happen.
  • Options
    WearyTravelerWearyTraveler Member Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Frogdog wrote:
    Not to get off topic.....but notice how every news story emphasizes the off-duty firefighter/former firefighter designation, as if that somehow gave the guy some kind of formal authority to carry a gun and intervene. Heaven forbid it just be a lawfully carrying ordinary citizen that "saved the day."

That?s exactly my thought. It could have been an off duty taxi driver legally carrying and not a fire fighter.
    ”People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    - GEORGE ORWELL -
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Interesting replies so far. I ask everyone of you.. ever been in a Walmart and seen someone toting a long gun around the store dressed in swat gear , bullet proof vest ready to go to a fire fight? I cannot say I have. So when someone comes forth that isn't law enforcement and enters the store What the Hell do you think they are up to? I would automatically think that something bad is about to happen. Or maybe a movie theater.. You know one just don't see folks carrying long guns to do normal business. And IF you own a firearm and make a poor decision to scare the hell out of people for no reason.. you are going to be held accountable. Start waving a gun around on a busy street. My educated guess is that law enforcement will tell you to put down the firearm and just cuff you. Responsible gun owners don't do ignorant stuff. He made good gun owners look bad. So a penalty will have to happen. I heard he was being charged with terrorism. Scaring folks isn't funny and he isn't a comedian . What if someone fell, had a heart attack or died because his stupid actions. He would be charged. And I hope they take all of his firearms away forever. He is a time bomb waiting to happen.

Great points here as well. We must remember that rights also carry responsibility.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    jimdeere wrote:
    serf wrote:
    jimdeere wrote:
    Horse hockey.

serf

?...the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed, except you can?t carry one into a store??

Well how many long gun rifles have you seen open carry down at your drug store? I bet the pharmacist would get plenty upset and trigger happy!
    People cannot use common sense anymore and believe it or not demanding you have the right is counterproductive for you and I in keeping our rights. I hope the idiot goes to jail for poor judgment. I never open carry in my town I am not looking for trouble I am trying to prevent it.

serf
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,211 ******
    edited November -1
    We damn sure do not need idiots like this on our side.

Exactly. As a responsible gun owner, you know when and how to exercise your right. This jerk went about testing his right in the most stupid manner. Yes, he is lucky he was not shot first, questioned later.
  • Options
    ltcdotyltcdoty Member Posts: 4,176 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Interesting replies so far. I ask everyone of you.. ever been in a Walmart and seen someone toting a long gun around the store dressed in swat gear , bullet proof vest ready to go to a fire fight? I cannot say I have. So when someone comes forth and enters the store What the Hell do you think they are up to? I would automatically think that something bad is about to happen. Or maybe a movie theater.. You know one just don't see folks carrying long guns to do normal business. And IF you own a firearm and make a poor decision to scare the hell out of people for no reason.. you are going to be held accountable. Start waving a gun around on a busy street. My educated guess is that law enforcement will tell you to put down the firearm and just cuff you. Responsible gun owners don't do ignorant stuff. He made good gun owners look bad. So a penalty will have to happen. I heard he was being charged with terrorism. Scaring folks isn't funny and he isn't a comedian . What if someone fell, had a heart attack or died because his stupid actions. He would be charged. And I hope they take all of his firearms away forever. He is a time bomb waiting to happen.

What he said....
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depending how he is manipulating the rifle while walking around in public view would determine if he is committing a crime here where I live and work. I see a difference between an open carry advocate walking around with a AK/AR slung on their back versus a guy in camo, kitted out in body armor, loaded ammo pouches, a pistol and AR slung across his chest walking around menacing folks. If he's walking around with his rifle slung in front, at a low ready, hand on the pistol grip and manipulating it then IMHO he's committing a brandishing offense. I don't know if he did that or not (I've only seen the one picture at his time of arrest) but his choice in dress certainly lends a reasonable person to believe he intended to place people in fear.

At the end of the day, he was an attention seeker, and he got the attention he desired, and now he's going to pay the price. I'm not sure what a domestic terrorism charge entails, but sounds like he is probably regretting his choice of activities.

On a side note we've had those second amendment monitors come to our PD before or show up at our traffic stops, filming us and themselves..just a bunch of annoying dipshits. We have a local jagoff that drives around with "cop watch" stickers on his windows and films our stops, whatever, he's a tard.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    shilowar wrote:
    Depending how he is manipulating the rifle while walking around in public view would determine if he is committing a crime here where I live and work. I see a difference between an open carry advocate walking around with a AK/AR slung on their back versus a guy in camo, kitted out in body armor, loaded ammo pouches, a pistol and AR slung across his chest walking around menacing folks. If he's walking around with his rifle slung in front, at a low ready, hand on the pistol grip and manipulating it then IMHO he's committing a brandishing offense. I don't know if he did that or not (I've only seen the one picture at his time of arrest) but his choice in dress certainly lends a reasonable person to believe he intended to place people in fear.

At the end of the day, he was an attention seeker, and he got the attention he desired, and now he's going to pay the price. I'm not sure what a domestic terrorism charge entails, but sounds like he is probably regretting his choice of activities.

On a side note we've had those second amendment monitors come to our PD before or show up at our traffic stops, filming us and themselves..just a bunch of annoying dipshits. We have a local jagoff that drives around with "cop watch" stickers on his windows and films our stops, whatever, he's a tard.

And this is exactly the point they are making. The police see you as a tard and annoying jagoff for exercising your rights.

• Options
    edited November -1
    shilowar wrote:

And this is exactly the point they are making. The police see you as a tard and annoying jagoff for exercising your rights.

He is a tard, he could just as easily do what he's doing with out drawing attention to himself and hoping/fishing for a confrontation.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    shilowar wrote:
    shilowar wrote:

He is a tard, he could just as easily do what he's doing with out drawing attention to himself and hoping/fishing for a confrontation.

I was not actually refering to the wal-mart guy in this post, but to the guys who photograph the police in shilowar's post.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    shilowar wrote:

I was not actually refering to the wal-mart guy in this post, but to the guys who photograph the police in shilowar's post.

That's exactly who I am referring too the tards that conduct their "audits", walking into buildings recording people, doing their best to cause alarm and confrontation. Those folks IMHO are tards. You want to sit across the street and record cops doing their jobs, have at it, but when you inject yourself into the story, make yourself obvious by coming to close, bordering on interfering with their activities for your own thrill and glorification you are a tard. I didn't advocate preventing their activity, however if they free to do it, i am certainly free to decide they are tards and jagoffs.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    he was a coward and a stupid one at that...if he wanted to really test his "rights".... why did he not march right into a police station with the same attitude ????
  • Options
    edited November -1
    spasmcreek wrote:
    he was a coward and a stupid one at that...if he wanted to really test his "rights".... why did he not march right into a police station with the same attitude ????

There are some videos on youtube of folks that have tried that...LOL
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He may go before a judge and will be told not to do this again. What should happen is have him spend 6-12 months living on an old Sam Cooke song but I can't remember the rest.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,862 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "What if the licensed, gun-toting firefighter had just shot this yahoo in the back of the head rather than confront him?

Justifiable or not?"

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!
    The idiot was not violating any MO state laws. The over-reaction of the public led to charges of disturbing the peace/creating a panic which is not a capital offense. From the reports I've seen, the idiot did not "threaten" anyone. The "sheeple" stampeded at the cry of wolf w/o real cause.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,862 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    " He would be charged. And I hope they take all of his firearms away forever. He is a time bomb waiting to happen."

With that in mind, p[picture this: Your next door neighbor has some beef with you and one day he sees you handling a gun in public view. He calls the fuzz claiming you have "terrorized" him. You then become a criminal by the same judgement as you applied to this idiot.

Common sense and good judgement can't be legislated.