In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Great, we're getting a hurricane

bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,485 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2019 in General Discussion
Floridians have won the weather lottery (again), looks like Hurricane Dorian is going to come ashore east of Orlando at a category three, probably reach Tampa across the state at a category two or one. We have a lot of family on the east coast in Daytona and Ormond Beach.

I'll more than likely drive over there after the storm with a couple of generators and my chain saw to help family clean up their properties.

SIGH .................................................
"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"

Comments

• Options
    mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you need the water
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If there is anything we DON'T need, it's more water. The weather guesser said that if it didn't rain another drop for the rest of the year, we would still finish the year with much more rain than the average annual rainfall.
  • Options
    Quick&DeadQuick&Dead Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That could be right in line with a relatives house.

Maybe God does payback?

8-)
    The government has no rights. Only the people have rights which empowers the government.
    We have enough gun laws, what we need is IDIOT control.
    Blood makes you related. Loyalty makes you family.

I thought getting old would take longer. :shock:
  • Options
    GilWilson1GilWilson1 Member Posts: 182
    edited November -1
    I hate that for you and yet would sigh a breath of relief if we don't get any here
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I hear you, always feel bad for the folks who get hit but always glad it's not us, guess it's our turn, just another day in paradise.
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yea,....getting ready here as well. I just finished getting my 22KW whole house generator up and running a week and a half ago, so at least that part is covered.

As I get older, I am tiring of dealing with this crap every year. Might be time to move.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,242 ******
    edited November -1
    Stay safe. Best wishes.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the good wishes, I don't know how many of these things I've gone through (a lot) but it's never NOT scary. We have learned to always be ready for the big one and we are. Thank God we have always been left standing when it was over but we have also always been humbled by the unimaginable power of a hurricane.

I say a prayer for all of those folks in this storm's path that they will also be standing when it passes.
  • Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My little brother will turn 67 tomorrow. He lives in St. Augustine about 2 miles from the beach. He's still cleaning up from the big one last year. That would be a crappy belated birthday present. I hope the guessers are wrong. :o
  • Options
    mjrfd99mjrfd99 Member Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Quick&Dead wrote:
    That could be right in line with a relatives house.

Maybe God does payback?

8-)

Yeah same here. Friends and family in DB NSB Deland + Orlando and our place in IRB I'll be loading the toyhauler and heading down if it gets real bad
    Saying a 3 coming ashore.
    I hope and pray not.
  • Options
    Quick&DeadQuick&Dead Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I could care not at all what happens to those relatives.
    They are :twisted: IMO for what they have done.
    The government has no rights. Only the people have rights which empowers the government.
    We have enough gun laws, what we need is IDIOT control.
    Blood makes you related. Loyalty makes you family.

I thought getting old would take longer. :shock:
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I still don't think the forecasters know crap, each year storms seem to trick them and then they say why it tricked them.

This storm could end up hitting South Carolina for all the "experts" actually know.

Stay safe to all, regardless of location 125 Mph winds are pretty vicious when you are hit with them.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,452 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    News at 12 said it was going to be a Cat 4 when it hits Florida.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I lived in Satellite Beach for nine years, and finally got hit with David, barely a Cat 1 the year before I left the state. We always knew the state was overdue for a bog one, and in the years since then, you've been pummeled with them. I'm glad I'm far from storms like that, but I feel empathy for those in the danger zone.

Do people there still treat grocery bag tracking maps as if they were magic talismans? Back when, it seemed like there was a belief that if you had a tracking map, it would keep you safe -- or some other such superstitious twaddle.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    TANK78ZTANK78Z Member Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm just 5 miles from Walt Disney World, hoping it veers north off the coast. we have had way too much rain over the last month, the local retention ponds that normally are at 35 to 50 percent capacity at this time of year, right now they are just below the overflow pipes, a hurricanes heavy rainfall might get our subdivision's first flooding in over 16 years, not to mention the possible heavy wind damage.
    sure hope the forecasters are wrong on this ones path and strength .
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is FL during hurricane season, it's to be expected.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    went over to the eastern kansas lake place Monday to bring back a utility tractor w backhoe and mower...got out of the pickup and it was dead still, hot, and about smothered in the oppressive humidity..got loaded and back home to see a nice big red radar blob right over there 3 hours later...we hit a weather window...2nd most rainfall year in the 16 we have been there.....a few touchups when weather is more congenial and list it for sale...do NOT like the drive over anymore....
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't send the som * up the coast wish it out to sea!
    TANK78Z wrote:
    I'm just 5 miles from Walt Disney World, hoping it veers north off the coast. we have had way too much rain over the last month, the local retention ponds that normally are at 35 to 50 percent capacity at this time of year, right now they are just below the overflow pipes, a hurricanes heavy rainfall might get our subdivision's first flooding in over 16 years, not to mention the possible heavy wind damage.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,869 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just googled it- Im 7 miles from WDW- we should go shooting one of these days.
    TANK78Z wrote: