In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

SIG MCX range report

mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
edited September 2019 in General Discussion
I was able to get out to the range for a couple of hours on Thursday and break in the new MCX short barreled rifle. From the very start I was impressed with the rifle's handling characteristics. The pistol grip, which looks a bit odd, is actually quite comfortable and I like it more than the MagPul grips I normally use. Because the Bravo Company front grip is QD, I fired the rifle with the front grip and without. The all metal hand guard looks a bit awkward, but it fit my hand just fine so I didn't use the front grip for the rest of the session. The folding metal stock is well designed and while quite slim, it gives a surprisingly good cheek weld. Most of the controls are ambidextrous and oversized. This isn't a big issue for me, but a lot of guys prefer the bigger buttons and this rifle has them. The trigger was great right out of the box: nice and crisp, and with no creep at all. This is among the best factory triggers I've used. The OEM SIG flip-up front and rear sights are good, but there are better BUS on the market and I may switch them over to something else. The majority of shooting was done with a SIG Romeo red dot, which was good enough, but not great. The rifle screams for optics like an EOTech, which is on my list of purchases.

I fired Federal .223 and Lake City M855 ball. The barrel is 1-7 twist and while I think it did a little better with the heavier M855 62 gr. bullet, the barrel is only 11-1/2 inches long so there are compromises no matter what you shoot out of it. I used MagPul Pmags, AMEND2 magazines, and a factory Colt 20 round metal magazine. All fed and functioned fine. I ran the rifle suppressed and unsuppressed, and it was trouble free with both the .30 and .223 caliber Yankee Hill suppressors. Guys on both sides of me commented that the .30 caliber can was a bit quieter, but it is longer and heavier than the .223, which sort of defeats the purpose of an SBR. There is a suppressed setting for the gas system, but the instructions state that it is only need when firing subsonic ammo. I tried the suppressed setting and found that the rifle kicked harder, which means it was getting too much gas and that's hard on the operating system. Because the normal gas setting worked fine, I doubt I'll make an adjustment again. The rifle is modular and you can switch stocks, barrels, and hand guards into a variety of configurations, but I rather like it as-is and won't tinker too much with it. Field stripping and cleaning was nothing out of the ordinary. If you can clean an AR you can clean this rifle.

In summation, I'm a fan of the MCX. It seems to do everything right and doesn't have many faults, or at least none that I could find. Although it is based on the AR, it looks different enough so that it doesn't get lost among the countless other ARs on the range. If you are looking for a gas piston rifle then the SIG is one you should consider.
88srPeYh.jpg
mqX4MxLh.jpg

Comments