In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Bid history

joe4348joe4348 Member Posts: 49 ✭✭
edited December 2001 in General Discussion
Been watching auction 269494413. Am confused how the current high bidder Made the bid 1/15/12 and the two bidders made 1/17 and 1/16 would be listed at all. Did the 1/15 bid revise his bid? The bid program tells you that your bd is below the current bid

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I notice looking in the bid history on some items posted that the same person will bump himself. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ok, this may be forbidden territory, but I'm confused.
    I just bid on a gun, my bid was not high enough to beat the high bidder. I went back to look at the bid history and the high bidder is listed on there as placing a bid at 9:37pm this evening. The clock on my computer says it's 9:30pm. That's when my bid is listed in the history. How did this guy outbid me 7 minutes in the future? It's the only time his name is listed in the bidder's list, do earlier bids not show up, only his high bid? Has GunBroker figured out time travel? If so, can I have the next big Lotto numbers?
  • Options
    woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    He's bidding up to the reserve.
  • Options
    sandman2234sandman2234 Member Posts: 894 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    or if the reserve has been met, he might have re-thought how much he really wants to spend for the item. Maybe did a little checking and realized it was a better deal, or he wanted it more.(or His wife agreed with his purchase...)
    Have Gun, will travel
  • Options
    GreenLanternGreenLantern Member Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I noticed something about bidding between ebay and GB. On GB, if you have the winning bid and you want to increase your max bid, you can place it and your winning bid stays at the price it was at.On ebay, if you do that, you've just bidded against yourself and the price goes up. Makes you think a little harder about what your initial max bid is.
  • Options
    GreenLanternGreenLantern Member Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Really? I swear there's been a couple of times that that's happened to me. Went back to check some ebay items that I'd bid on before but they're no longer retrievable. Guess next time I buy something I ebay I'll have to make it a point of double checking. I always could be wrong :-)
  • Options
    22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
    edited November -1
    I bought a Spotting Scope on eBay today.No Reserve. I put a low bid in 3 days ago.but it was for more then the minimum bid.I was out bid yesterday and bid the max I was willing to pay. My bid only increased by proxy bid enough to stay above the others bidders.The winning bid was below my max bid.
  • Options
    luger01luger01 Member Posts: 230 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Greenlantern,In those cases where you put in a max bid of say $10 and the item started at $5, you would have a $5 bid showing. Suppose someone came along and put in a $9.90 bid. The increment is $0.50, but your max was $10. The bid goes to $10. If you then increase you max. bid to $15.00, the bid price for the item will then jump to $10.40, or $0.50 over the other bidder's $9.90 bid, and you will see the price jump, even though you were the high bidder.Perhaps this is what happened?
  • Options
    adminadmin Member, Administrator Posts: 1,079 admin
    edited November -1
    Our proxy bid behaviour is not the same as eBay's when you are bidding below the reserve price. Once the reserve price has been met I think they are exactly the same.On non-Dutch auctions on an item with no reserve price or when the reserve price has been met you cannot outbid yourself. If you are currently the high bidder and above the reserve if you keep bidding higher all it does is increase your max bid for our bidding proxy.On reserve auctions when you are below the reserve price our bidding is different than eBay. If you place a bid and it is below the reserve price we immediately post your maximum bid. If you then bid again and still do not meet the reserve we again post your max and you will have outbid yourself. It does not matter because if you do not meet the reserve price you will not win the item.eBay's below the reserve price behavior is different and we think goofy. Let's say an item has a $1 starting bid and a $250 Reserve. If you place a bid of $100 eBay will post $1. If you then bid $150 eBay will stand on $1. If you bid $249.99 eBay will still be on $1. The only way the bid amount increases on eBay is if you are outbid by another bidder or if you bid high enough to meet the reserve. The reason we think the eBay way is goofy is that it wastes other bidder's time. If you look at the item and see that the bid is at $1 and the reserve is not met and you are willing to pay $225 for the item you may take the time to place a bid. Then the bid jumps to $230 and you are outbid, reserve is still not met, and you just wasted your time.Keep in mind that GunBroker.com does not do any proxy bidding on Dutch auctions. Whatever you bid is immediately posted in a Dutch auction and you can outbid yourself.