In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

15 year old charged with Terroristic Threat

Comments

• Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Today toilet paper, tomorrow napalm!
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
    edited November -1
    Terroristic threat charge for boy accused of igniting West High bathroom fire
    By TEGAN HANLON
    thanlon@adn.com
    November 27, 2013

Read more here: http://www.adn.com/2013/11/27/3200642/police-responding-to-fire-at-west.html#storylink=cpy
    http://www.adn.com/2013/11/27/3200642/police-responding-to-fire-at-west.html
    1tS2KT.AuSt.7.jpg

I don't so much see it as a "Police State" as I do "Stupid Grandiose Over Reacting State". The concept of Terrorism as we have known it for most of a century is is far larger than some child's bathroom prank. Terrorism isn't about scaring a few people just for a thrill or to get out of a school day.

Terrorism is the attacking of innocent persons for broad regional, cultural, political or religious reasons. It has a geopolitical scale to it. It seeks a very large death toll ALWAYS.

Terrorism is only found in an Alaska school's bathroom if an Al Qaeda operative planted a C4 or Semtex bomb and killed a bunch of children to make a statement. Or something similar.

15 year old playing with toilet paper and matches? Nope, not Terrorism.
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,023 ******
    edited November -1
    I see it as people on this forum over-reacting to the title of the Alaska statute that covers this sort of behavior. In Texas, we would have charged him with Delinquent Conduct for having allegedly committing Arson.

Setting a fire in a school bathroom? What would you have done with the idiot?

BTW, we also have a Terroristic Threat statute, and it includes threatening another person with * harm, so we file a few of those cases. Just because the statute has the word "Terroristic" in the title doesn't mean it only covers terrorist activity. Those statutes were in existence, with those titles, well before "terrorism" became such a bugaboo.

If the statute were titled, "Hybauchery With Intent To Mope," but covered the behaviors the suspect is suspected of, then that is the statute under which he would be and should be prosecuted.
  • Options
    hobo9650hobo9650 Member Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    But, he's such a good boy.

Many people have been killed from fires in crowded buildings.

I guess his liberal teachers/professors have convinced him it's ok to act against the "establishment". Might have a bright future as a "community organizer".
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Off with his head...
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    So the little knucklehead threatens the health, safety and welfare of hundreds of others and he should get a slap on the wrist? Life is making decisions and he made a really bad one........might help him grow up IMO.
  • Options
    ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
    edited November -1
    Don't see that anyone thinks the kid should get a slap on the wrist. As with any crime in the USA, the punishment should fit the crime.

I'd want to know the intent here? Was he doing this for a thrill? To avoid a class? Out of generic "I don't like going to school" spite? Was he hoping to kill somebody? What was it exactly?

Some motives and intentions call for a far more severe punishment than others.
  • Options
    woodhogwoodhog Member Posts: 13,115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    'Intent to mope' is a serious crime around here. Hybauchery,not so much...
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,179 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Was he chanting for "tots" for lunch? Those crazy eskimos.
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ChrisInTempe
    As with any crime in the USA, the punishment should fit the crime.That grand sounding charge is a Class B felony, which in Alaska means he's looking at a sentence of anythwere between probation and a max of 3 years.

Of course, things probably won't go as well if he has any prior record of such behavior.
  • Options
    nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Everyone's a terrorist now.
  • Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hybauchery......not very often I have to look up words so I can understand a post.

Thanks for the education, David! [8D]
  • Options
    JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I say the kid probably looking for attention if he set a roll on fire in the stall. If he threw a flaming roll in the trash, id say the kid has some other intent.

Either way, a slap on the wrist isn't enough in this case.
  • Options
    PanzerSlayer2PanzerSlayer2 Member Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I remember the days when lighting toilet paper or pulling the fire alarm was a visit to the principal's office. not even so much a call to your parents
  • Options
    partisanpartisan Member Posts: 6,414
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nunn
    I see it as people on this forum over-reacting to the title of the Alaska statute that covers this sort of behavior. In Texas, we would have charged him with Delinquent Conduct for having allegedly committing Arson.

Setting a fire in a school bathroom? What would you have done with the idiot?

BTW, we also have a Terroristic Threat statute, and it includes threatening another person with * harm, so we file a few of those cases. Just because the statute has the word "Terroristic" in the title doesn't mean it only covers terrorist activity. Those statutes were in existence, with those titles, well before "terrorism" became such a bugaboo.

If the statute were titled, "Hybauchery With Intent To Mope," but covered the behaviors the suspect is suspected of, then that is the statute under which he would be and should be prosecuted.

No charge in Florida for telling someone you are going to kill them. Unless of course you are armed, or have committed an assault. Makes no sense to me.[:0]
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nemesisenforcer
    Everyone's a terrorist now.
    We have the same titled offense in my state, but the elements are different:

? 22.07. TERRORISTIC THREAT. (a) A person commits an
    offense if he threatens to commit any offense involving violence to
    any person or property with intent to:
    (1) cause a reaction of any type to his threat by an
    official or volunteer agency organized to deal with emergencies;
    (2) place any person in fear of imminent serious
    * injury;
    (3) prevent or interrupt the occupation or use of a
    building, room, place of assembly, place to which the public has
    access, place of employment or occupation, aircraft, automobile, or
    other form of conveyance, or other public place;
    (4) cause impairment or interruption of public
    communications, public transportation, public water, gas, or power
    supply or other public service;
    (5) place the public or a substantial group of the
    public in fear of serious * injury; or
    (6) influence the conduct or activities of a branch or
    agency of the federal government, the state, or a political
    subdivision of the state.

This statute has been on the books here since at least 1972. Funny how some people want to think the word 'terroristic' is new. [:D]
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,818 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "I remember the days when lighting toilet paper or pulling the fire alarm was a visit to the principal's office. not even so much a call to your parents"
    That would have got you some "quality time" in the coach's office with his perforated plywood paddle AND a call home(where the coach's attention would seem like a loving embrace).

BTW, "terrorist threat" is simply a catch-all for anything the cops want to use it for. In today's world, who's going to complain about actions against a purported terrorist threat?
  • Options
    footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    l remember my high school days when you lit a cherry bomb and flushed it down the toilet........ Now thats TERROR [:0]
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,023 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:BTW, "terrorist threat" is simply a catch-all for anything the cops want to use it for.

BS. As I pointed out earlier, it is the title of a statute that was written long before anyone knew or cared about terrorist activity.

Some states have "assault" statutes, wherein the statute also includes "battery," while others have separate statutes for "assault" and "battery." In some states, "arson" only applies to structures, while in other states, the statute may be applied to a vehicle, open fields, and woodlands as well. One has to actually READ the wording of the statute to see what behaviors are proscribed therein.