In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Dealer has me mad: UPDATE

Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
edited October 2002 in General Discussion
If I walk into a gun shop and buy a used gun I only pay tax and maybe $5 for the phone call. I won an auction from a dealer close to me and he is telling me I can pick at his shop and I have to pay $20 transfer fee + tax. Now I bought this gun from him because he is a dealer and I was hoping to save some money buy picking it up from him but now a $65 .22 has become a $90 gun plus $10 in gas to drive up there. I'm gonna go ahead and pick it up, I finish all auctions I win but this is the last time I buy from him. Now should I include this in the feedback I leave for him or should I let it slide?

Real men use little bullets.

Edited by - 7mm nut on 10/04/2002 18:51:17

Comments

• Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,013 ******
    edited November -1
    Did I charge you a "transfer fee" when you picked up your rifle in person? No. And I should not have.

Had I shipped that gun to a dealer in your home state, that dealer would have charged you a transfer fee, and rightly so. That is where he makes his. I made mine when I got the check for the gun.

The transfer fee is a fee for the services of a dealer who has no profit in the gun. It is the only money he makes on the deal. If you are dealing face-to-face, the dealer presumably has his profit margin made in the price of the gun.

Your dealer is gouging you and he should know it.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com, the best gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net
  • Options
    interstatepawnllcinterstatepawnllc Member Posts: 9,390
    edited November -1
    Your dealer is a worm, I say flame him.

If your gonna be stupid you better be tough !!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Here is the email he sent me after the auction was over. I left his name out so it doesnt look as if I'm trying to smear him.

Hello
    You won the auction below for the romanian 22 rifle your total is 65.00 + 20.00 transfere fee and 6% pa sales tax for a grand total of 90.10.If you would like to have it shipped to a dealer instead of picking it up the total would be the same as above.My name,address,and phone number are below please email or call to make arrangements for pickup.

• Options
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a canned, cut and pasted response.

Try contacting him by phone and asking point blank if the transfer fee applies to an over-the-counter purchase.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com, the best gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net
  • Options
    thesoundguy1thesoundguy1 Member Posts: 680
    edited November -1
    E-mail him "What transfer? I'm comming to pick it up."

www.waveformwear.com
    The new wave in free expression.
  • Options
    RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Was the Fee posted in the Ad? All costs should be listed. Are you sure he knows you are from the same state? You are from the same state aren't you?

Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    In over twenty five years in the business I've NEVER ONCE heard of the 'seller' charging a transfer fee! It is outragous! I would not have the guts to even try it. I can see why you are upset; his fee is 1/3 the price of the rifle. Wholesalers charge $60 for these little guns so the guy was just breaking even on the sale...that is not your fault. He is trying to make a quick profit at your expence and I'd tell him to either let you have the rifle at the "hammer price" plus tax, or forget the whole thing.

Mark T. Christian
  • Options
    gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A pawn shop in SE Berks County charges $25 transfer fee per gun regardless if you buy more than one. I was prepared to buy two guns one day paying cash but took my business elsewhere. The pawn shop owner said it's a standard fee that all gun dealers charge for doing paperwork and background checks. I noticed, posted on the wall, there is a $65 fee for firearm transfers between parties. My first and last time there. I think I posted about this guy several months ago.

Pack slow, fall stable, pull high, hit dead center.
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Negative feedback, for sure. Let other potential buyers know he's a thief. If he wanted $85 for the rifle, he should have listed it that way.
  • Options
    martzkj@msn.commartzkj@msn.com Member Posts: 582 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm just wondering, what was he charging for shipping. Maybe that was where he was going to make his profit. Now that you are going to pick it up he just lost his profit margin. That being said, most Pa dealers charge a little extra for the instant check and the sate police surcharge (around$5.00 for both). I would try to make a deal with him sales tax plus $5.00 to cover the check and surcharge.
  • Options
    redcedarsredcedars Member Posts: 919 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nut, you are getting the shaft. If you pick it up, no shipping and handling. I have never heard of such a fee from the seller. If he didn't post the "transfer fee" in the auction, I say its deceptive and you are under no obligation to complete the deal with a hidden fee.

Try to talk sense to this guy once. If he doesn't get reasonable, report him to the site for fraud. If he negs you, flame him back and post him.

Just my $.02 worth, but I wouldn't put up with that crap, even if I really wanted the gun.

redcedars
  • Options
    varmit huntervarmit hunter Member Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    7MM, The next time you come to Orange give me a shout. I live 5 minutes from "J"s. Ill treat you to a heap of scrambled.

The most important things, Are not things.
  • Options
    boeboeboeboe Member Posts: 3,331
    edited November -1
    My dealer doesn't even charge me a transfer fee when someone ships a gun I won to him!

To err is human, to moo is bovine.
  • Options
    dads-freeholddads-freehold Member Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    greetings, when i first saw the post i thought pawn broker, back when i first started buying from them (tenn and fla) they would charge a transfer fee and like an idiot i'd pay (usually 15-20 dollars). then i found from a dealer friend ( now a fed) that it was not only unethical but in some states illegal. you should check the state laws, assume the man is ignorant and not unethical. he may thank you for pointing the error of his ways. respt submitted dads-freehold

if your going to be a savage, be a headhunter
  • Options
    fergusonmorse392fergusonmorse392 Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    fi you live in the same state you have to pay the state tax, but if the transfer fee was not listed in the listing, i would tell him no sale!!! give negitive feedback, explain to gunbroker admin, and be prepared to get negitive feedback from seller. contact the better business bureau etc, etc.
  • Options
    ClairClair Member Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What town is the dealer in ? I want to avoid him.
  • Options
    mkirklandmkirkland Member Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    7mm that sucks, I can't understand why FFL are so gready. I was looking for a good gun shop to do business with, it took 5 different places until I finally got sick of looking and decided on the lesser evil($30 transfer fee It's not like they are doing anything special. Ask any FFL here and they say "Free money" for transfers. I had one jerk act like I was asking him to shoot his own foot off and for the price($60) I told him to fly a kite. Whats the deal guys? Why are my dealers such jerks about this? I understand they are providing a service but if they wanted to do business more than once with a person you think they would want to build a positive relationship not "Hey I'm gonna rip you off, and don't give a d@^n if you ever come back". Thats it I am going to get a reloading press,and drive to pick up my guns, it would be about the same amount of money to drive across country than it would be to pay one of these FFL's.

Sorry about the ranting. I started typing and couldn't stop myself (2 cups coffee
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I sent him the Money for the gun + tax and a note saying I would pick the gun up when I got in and we would discuss the transfer fee, here is the email I got from him today and he WILL get negative feedback!

Hello
    I received the money order for 70.10 today your total was 90.10 ( 65.00+
    20.00 transfer fee + 5.10 sales tax) your balance due is 20.00.The transfer
    fee of 20.00 is what I charge to handle the paperwork,and background
    check.My hours are 9:00am to 5:30pm on monday if you plan on picking it up
    on saturday call before comming to make sure I am here because I have no set
    hours on the weekend.My shop number is 814-xxx-xxxx.

Thanks
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

• Options
    RancheroPaulRancheroPaul Member Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Should have never sent the friggin' Money Order.......

Fish Shudder at the sound of my Name!
  • Options
    mkirklandmkirkland Member Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yup, now you have to get your gun, send him the rest of the money and have him send it to you it isn't worth it to spend another twenty dollars in gas. He said shipped or picked up same price, right? My.02
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Make sure you get $20 worth of satisfaction out of the negative feedback you post. And make sure the sorry POS knows you're putting out the word on his sorry butt. If it wasn't in the listing, you shouldn't pay it. It's BS. Your biggest mistake was in sending in the $70 . . . now he has you hooked.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bubba, I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt. He erased all doubt.

Flame away. Might as well. It cost you twenty bucks for the privilege.

• Options
    chunkstylechunkstyle Member Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    After reading all this noise this guy's giving you, I count my lucky stars for my local (MN) range owner. He will do transfers for NOTHING. Why? Cause I will end up shooting the gun in his range (= money for him). He has a class III, but chooses not to actually display firearms for sale (tho he does sell guns, just not up front) Again, why? Simple, he doesn't want to compete with other gun stores, so they happily send more shooters to him. Smart businessman, I'd say.
  • Options
    mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There's been so much "back and forth" here, I've lost my place. If he's charging you S&H, I make him spend the $$$ to ship it. It'll cut that much into his profit anyway.
    THEN FLAME THE POS!

Mudge the vindictive

I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!
  • Options
    boeboeboeboe Member Posts: 3,331
    edited November -1
    Hey, you are in the same state as him, right? File a small claims action against him. Make him waste half a day in court, time that he could have used making money. It's a matter of principle. Maybe it will cost you a day's vacation, but it will probably be worth it, just in satisfaction.

Fight it in court, and when you fight it, just give the judge a copy of the listing that shows he didn't mention any additional fee. That should be an open and shut case.

To err is human, to moo is bovine.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    OK, gentlemen.

We know that we can discuss SITUATIONS but we can't complain about INDIVIDUAL buyers and sellers.

Some of you made it possible to easily identify the seller, and that is not done here, so those posts are gone.

If you want to complain about the seller, contact admin@gunbroker.com

If you want to let other users know about him, do it in direct emails, please.