In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Truck driver story...

85Ranger85Ranger Member Posts: 89 ✭✭
edited March 2002 in General Discussion
Here's a little true story that I thought some people would get a kick out of. My dad drives truck for a pain in the butt company, which I won't name, unless you are really that curious. This company constantly watches the guys with night vision goggles and such to make sure they are "going by the book." Recently, they had a safety blitz where safety men rode with the drivers for a few days and wrote commments on everything. The genius that my dad had the pleasure of riding with started talking about the weighted sticks that were given to the drivers to hit the tires with to check the tire pressure. The problem is, the sticks are not heavy enough, and you can not tell whether the tire was low of not. (My dad usually kicks the tires to tell). He got into an argument with the safety man about not using the stick, and the safety man came back with: "It shouldn't matter how heavy the stick is, you should be able to tell if the tire is hollow or not." Now, I never claimed to be the smartest person alive, but aren't all tires hollow??? Filled with air is still hollow correct? And the big shots of this company think that the safety men are helping the company become better. Here's another tid bit...because of a mix up of unloading nitrogen into an oxygen tank at a hospital (which should never happen, the fittings are different for nitrogen and oxygen tanks and trailors) the FDA is taking over monitoring the oxygen that is made at where my dad works. (The company hauls oxygen and nitrogen.) The thing about this is, a representative wanted to see the ingredients that they used to make pure, liquified oxygen. He's so smart, he didn't realize that it is made from the atmosphere, the air you breathe. And they are monitoring the production of oxygen? I couldn't believe that a multi million dolloar company could be so ignorant. I could write pages of ignorant stuff that this company has done, from losing a truck to not following seniority.

Comments

• Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like typical salary type smarts to me, (well trained in the art of * kissing and nothing else)
  • Options
    badboybobbadboybob Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's some pretty stupid stuff. Have any of you looked at the regulations our civil "servants" crank out by the ton?
    PC=BS
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With the exception of the LEOs on this board (plus a few others I know personally) and the military services, I've always held: "Those that can, do; those that can't, teach (usually in an Ivy League University) and the completely, utterly, worthless are hired by governments." If someone w/ the stones were in charge of the Federal government & had a free hand, after about five years of 'downsizing,' we'd have 5% of the bureaucrats doing twice as much work with 1% of the regulations & could reforest the Amazon basin w/ the paper saved. Never happen of course, but it's a wonderful fantasy. Of course, the welfare rolls would swell temporarily - there's not much call for the "skills" utilized in most government employment, but we could always put them to work policing the sidewalks.
  • Options
    badboybobbadboybob Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey Iconoclast, you're right on the mark. Great post!!!!!!!
    PC=BS
  • Options
    Submariner .Submariner . Member Posts: 165 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    YEAH THATS THE KINDA GUY THAT WILL TELL YOU THAT THE TIRE IS ONLY FLAT ON ONE SIDE
    Truck Driver,Submarine Veteran,Rusty Wallace fan,and piss poor typist E-MAIL WNUNLEY@USIT.NET
  • Options
    ibtruknibtrukn Member Posts: 443 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, it is.... TFF
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,097 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Myself, I'd kinda like to hear the story of the lost truck...
  • Options
    85Ranger85Ranger Member Posts: 89 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Alright, you asked for it...The Lost Truck.A bank in Cicleville I believe called the terminal in Dayton about a truck that was sitting in their parking lot. Well, as anyone can figure out, an 18 wheeler hauling oxygen does not belong, unattended, in a bank parking lot. It was there for about 3 days (Friday evening til Monday morning when the bank opened) before they recovered it. The "leaking" was the vent at the top releasing excess oxygen. No one from the company had a clue that the truck was missing. Talk about keeping good records huh? They figured it was a disgruntled mechanic from the terminal that took it. I thought it was pretty funny. They were trying to figure out how it got there and who was going to drive up there to recover it. All the top management people were dumbfounded. They lost the damn truck for three freakin' days, the morons.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,097 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good Story, thanks! It would be fun to know just who and why wouldn't it?
  • Options
    CAndres35CAndres35 Member Posts: 453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    that lostmtruck story is as good as my lost b52 story. when i was working for boeing in whichita kan. they lost a b52 for over two months until they figured out that two different planes had the same number on the tail. to say the least this caused quite a fury not knowing what jobs had been done on wich plane. carl
  • Options
    whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    iconoclast:I think you're wrong.Clouder..
  • Options
    Submariner .Submariner . Member Posts: 165 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    THIS GUY IS A PRIME CANDIDATE FOR ROLLO'S ROLLING PAWN SHOP....I GOT LEFT HANDED MONKEY WRENCHES,MOTORCYCLE DOORS,CORDLESS EXTENSION CORDS WITH A SAFETY STRAP,REFRIGERATED FLATBED TARPS,AND LOAD LOCKS FOR A TANKER JUST KICK IT BACK TO ROLLO!!TON FO MISSER TRUCK DRIVA
    Truck Driver,Submarine Veteran,Rusty Wallace fan,and piss poor typist E-MAIL WNUNLEY@USIT.NET
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,040 ******
    edited November -1
    The City Council decided to have an efficiency study of various departments. They hired a bunch of geniuses from Virginia to take a look. Department heads, not happy about having this sort of inspection, apparently decided to follow their recommendations to the letter. Well....The geniuses absolutely castrated and disemboweled our hiring and training programs. Makes me GLAD not to be a FTO anymore.The "experts" pocketed their 60 grand and went back to Virginia, laughing all the way.
    Certified SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of the General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com, the premier gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net Jesus is Lord!