In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Why did Sig stop making the 228

RedlegRedleg Member Posts: 417 ✭✭✭
edited March 2002 in General Discussion
for the civilian crowd? Just curious...How does the 229 stack up?

Comments

• TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    I carry a P229 in .40S&W and love it. It's proven to be one of the most accurate out of the box factory pistols I've seen. Using mass produced reloads I can ring a steel sillhouette all day long at 100 yds.I had a choice of a few Sig pistols for my issue sidearm. I fired the full size P226 alongside the P229 and found that I shot much better with the compact , even during rapid fire stages. Not quite what I expected, but I ain't going to argue with it.
  • .250Savage.250Savage Member Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just got my 229, love it dearly. Fits like a glove, controls where they should be, no built-in design flaws like the H&K that keep them from firing, in fact no dedicated safety at all (none needed). Only trouble I have is it tends to chew one hole out of the center of the target (if I do my part).
  • Submariner .Submariner . Member Posts: 165 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    NUNN CAN TELL YOU EVERYTHING ABOUT SIGS YOU WANT TO KNOW.THE 228 WASCHAMBERED IN 9MM WHEN SIG MADE THE 229 IT WAS CHAMBERED IN .40 CAL AND .357-SIG,THE 228 AND THE 229 HAVE THE SAME DIMENSIONS SO SIG JUST CHAMBERED THE 229 FOR 9MM AND THERE WAS NO REASON TO HAVE THE EXACT SAME GUN UNDER TWO DIFFERENT NAMES
    Truck Driver,Submarine Veteran,Rusty Wallace fan,and piss poor typist E-MAIL WNUNLEY@USIT.NET
  • axlerfanaxlerfan Member Posts: 713 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i bought my 229 on the day the brady bull passed. i love it. its beenthe most reliable, easiest shooting and one of the most accuate compacts ive ever owned. wouldnt have any reservations about recommending one to someone else.
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I heard rumor that SIG got excited over the military contract for the P-228 (aka "M-11") and stopped manufacturing it for the civilian market. One thing I learned in Economics class is that manufacturing MORE is not always more profitable. There comes a point where the return on what you produce actually decreases with increases in production numbers. I don't know if this was the case with SIG. I'm not sure how they operate and how their operation is set up. It may have just been more profitable for them to direct all of their energies towards manufacturing the 228 for the govt. That's the rumor I heard. Don't know if there's any truth to it or not.
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
    edited November -1
    Submariner hit it. No sense having two identical guns with two different model designations.
    Certified SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of the General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com, the premier gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net Jesus is Lord!