In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

how to convence wife that guns are not dangerious

tes55tes55 Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
edited October 2010 in General Discussion
I need help. I currently have a ccw licence and have been fighting with the wife every since I took the test. She goes nuts each time I try to go to the range. She always throws satistics up in my face about how many people die each year from accidental shootings. I am very causious about my gun and yes I know accidents can happen, but all that she is seeing is satistics and not taking into account that most accidents happen from people that should not have a weapon in the first place. We even got into a huge fight today beacuse I wanted to go shoot, but she was going 3 hours away and did not feel it to be safe if something happeded, so of course to keep peace I am here writing for help. Although when she was leaving I did mention to be safe while driving that there were over 100 deathes per day in auto accidents and that it would be more safe for me to stay home and play with my loaded gun. I will be in some serious trouble when she returns.

Comments

• Options
    tneff1969tneff1969 Member Posts: 6,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here is a statistic that no book/newspaper/person/ history etc can dispute, no gun has ever killed a person on it's own. Of all the ones I have around me, not one has tried to seduce, abuse or rape me. You can't fix stupid (not talking about your wife), but you can educate. There are very few accidental shootings, but many neglectful by stupidity. Statistics also claim, that all female prostitutes have a meow box. Does that make all women a prostitute ??? [:D]
  • Options
    jesnlsnjesnlsn Member Posts: 881 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    a four day course at front sight will do more to give your wife comfort at arms and dispel the "guns are bad" myth than anything you can do.

several of us (me and buddies) have taken our wives.

former non gun liking women , really amazing when they come out of the tactical shoot house with a grin on their face.

spend the money, take her somewhere to get some training.
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tes55
    I will be in some serious trouble when she returns.

You won't be in any trouble if you have the balls to tell her to GTFO. There is one thing I couldn't handle and that is a controlling women. [xx(][:(!]
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Convince her guns are not what is dangerous, it is the nutz with guns that are dangerous.[;)]
  • Options
    RtWngExtrmstRtWngExtrmst Member Posts: 7,456
    edited November -1
    Probably be easier just to get a new wife.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,390 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:how to convence wife that guns are not dangeriousPapers from a lawyer......seriously.
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tes55
    I need help. I currently have a ccw licence and have been fighting with the wife every since I took the test. She goes nuts each time I try to go to the range. She always throws satistics up in my face about how many people die each year from accidental shootings. I am very causious about my gun and yes I know accidents can happen, but all that she is seeing is satistics and not taking into account that most accidents happen from people that should not have a weapon in the first place. We even got into a huge fight today beacuse I wanted to go shoot, but she was going 3 hours away and did not feel it to be safe if something happeded, so of course to keep peace I am here writing for help. Although when she was leaving I did mention to be safe while driving that there were over 100 deathes per day in auto accidents and that it would be more safe for me to stay home and play with my loaded gun. I will be in some serious trouble when she returns.Until you grow a set, I think you should sell your gun and buy your wife a pretty dress.
  • Options
    owen219owen219 Member Posts: 3,799
    edited November -1
    If I desperately need advise on anything woman the first person I would ask would be Earl for surefire proven results. Earl is the man and rocks!!!
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,661 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can either choose to set her down and educate her, you can continue to have the same fight over and over, or you can trade her in on another model. Go shoot, be careful, and have fun.
  • Options
    FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Classic095
    Convince her guns are not what is dangerous, it is the nutz with guns that are dangerous.[;)]

+1/ Gun are dangerous. IN THE WRONG HANDS. I prefer my family to view them as dangerous. If you don't know what you're doing, DON'T TOUCH.
  • Options
    _bruno__bruno_ Member Posts: 854 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Explain to her that statistically guns are a lot less dangerous than just about anything else out there. People who have a fear of guns are like peole who have a fear of flying. Planes are one of the safest ways to travel but many people are deathly afraid of it. Gun deaths get alot of attention from the liberal media because they want to brainwash people into believing that they are evil objects and should be banned. Not having guns, and experience handling them, can be very dangerous. Next time you watch a scary movie where a bad guy is tormenting people for two hours, explain to her that the movie would be over in less than two minutes if the victim had a gun and knew how to use it. Good luck buddy.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cartod
    Until you grow a set, I think you should sell your gun and buy yourself a pretty dress.

Fixed it for ya. [:D]
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,013 ******
    edited November -1
    Of course guns are dangerous. So are motor vehicles, boats, and chain saws. If these things weren't dangerous, they wouldn't be good for anything. One has to learn how to use a machine, and what its capabilities and limitations are. Any machine can be extremely dangerous in the hands of an incompetent operator, just as any machine can do immeasurable good in the hands of an expert.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,038 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nunn
    Of course guns are dangerous. So are motor vehicles, boats, and chain saws. If these things weren't dangerous, they wouldn't be good for anything. One has to learn how to use a machine, and what its capabilities and limitations are. Any machine can be extremely dangerous in the hands of an incompetent operator, just as any machine can do immeasurable good in the hands of an expert.

Agree completely and with Fastrat also. +100
  • Options
    MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can explain all you want, she isn't going to understand. Well, she might understand, but isn't going to reason it out and think about it. Women don't listen to facts (most of them, anyway). Good luck, you are going to need it. Personally, I pretty much do what I want. My wife is the same. We've made it 17 years together, which is pretty amazing, because we are both very stubborn!

Merc
  • Options
    shortphatokieshortphatokie Member Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If she can't come to accept that you are going to carry I would trade her in......
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Just tell her Doctors kill more people per day than guns do. So going to the Doctor is dangerous and she should not go.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Spider7115
    quote:Originally posted by cartod
    Until you grow a set, I think you should sell your gun and buy yourself a pretty dress.

Fixed it for ya. [:D]

+1

With all the nagging, I would take what your wife says to mean " Husband, I think you are an incompetant boob. I think you can't handle a firearm safely, nor should you handle them anyhow."

And judging the comment of "some people should not be allowed to have firearms", I would venture to say that ought to start with you. Seems your wife belives you shouldn't be carrying or using them. She knows you better than US right?
  • Options
    soopsoop Member Posts: 4,633
    edited November -1
    You need to get a 22 and take her shooting.Convince her to go along just once.Let her shoot at balloons,cans,and junk like that. You don't need a divorce or anything that drastic just yet.
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Someone have the link for the Jewsih gun owners site?

Look up the millions of people killed throughout history, after being disarmed. Now, the danger of not having a gun looks a lot different.
  • Options
    quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
    edited November -1
    Guns are dangerious. So is swimming, driving, eating and not haveing a gun or three or thirty that you know how to use.

You should teach her that it is an inanimate object, its ability to create danger is dependant souly on the user. you are about what, 100 times more likely to get into a car crash on the road to work or the range or the grocery store then to have an AD and kill yourself?
  • Options
    idahoduckeridahoducker Member Posts: 740 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get her some formal gun/shooting training like someone mentioned earlier. Not from you but from a pro. I can't tell you how to go about getting her to do that but if you can it'll likely make a huge difference.
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Just have to ask How old is she.
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Following something that you may find useful in your presentation to your wife:

I don't carry a gun to kill people. I carry a gun to keep from being killed. I don't carry a gun to scare people. I carry a gun because sometimes this world can be a scary place. I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid. I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world. I don't carry a gun because I'm evil. I carry a gun because I have lived long enough to see the evil in the world. I don't carry a gun because I hate the government. I carry a gun because I understand the limitations of government. I don't carry a gun because I'm angry. I carry a gun so that I don't have to spend the rest of my life hating myself for failing to be prepared. I don't carry a gun because I want to shoot someone. I carry a gun because I want to die at a ripe old age in my bed, and not on a sidewalk somewhere tomorrow afternoon. I don't carry a gun because I'm a cowboy. I carry a gun because, when I die and go to heaven, I want to be a cowboy. I don't carry a gun to make me feel like a man. I carry a gun because men know how to take care of themselves and the ones they love. I don't carry a gun because I feel inadequate. I carry a gun because unarmed and facing three armed thugs, I am inadequate. I don't carry a gun because I love it. I carry a gun because I love life and the people who make it meaningful to me. Police Protection is an oxymoron. Free citizens must protect themselves. Police do not protect you from crime, they usually just investigate the crime after it happens and then call someone in to clean up the mess. Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to allow those I care about to die.

It is everyone's responsibility to combat evil, some of us are prepared to combat it face to face. If I am found alone on the street dead, be sure the last thing from my mouth was a moan of frustration. If I am found with the son of a * lying dead next to me you will know the last thing out of my mouth was a laugh.

Just some thoughts for the day, some borrowed, some added, but all my own...................Scout
  • Options
    MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    Time for a new wife.
  • Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    It seems to me that there is a significant lifestyle conflict between you two. Maybe she can be brought around, maybe not. Give it a go, but be prepared for failure. At that point, you need to decide between the lifestyle and the wife. Also keep in mind that once you start caving, you start giving up man ground. Give it 20 years and you'll be more of a wife than her.
  • Options
    cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get some pretty guns and take her shooting. By "pretty" I don't mean those garbage pink Tauruses. I mean deep blued steel and walnut or rosewood. Try a ruger single six, or a MkII. Maybe a nice single shot 20 gauge or a 77/22. something simple for her to understand and not be afraid of when she shoots it. balloons as targets, or swinging plates. Make it fun and interesting. Change the pace or take her home if she starts to look bored. Heck, even let her watch you for awhile first if she's uncomfortable holding a gun herself.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FIND A NEW WOMAN, the one you have is defective. Harsh but true, if she can't be taught about guns, safety and reality you don't need her around when the chips are really down.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    No inanimate object is dangerous untill in the hands of the wrong person.. It is PEOPLE that make them dangerous.. Give the wife this stats.. FBI: only 12 percent of violent crime death is by the use of a firearm.. 39% of violent deaths are commited with the hands and feet.. All the other 49 percent are committed with cars, knives, baseball bats, ropes, poison, screwdrives, ETC ETC..

Auto accidents are the number one killer of people compared to any other accident .. Lets get rid of our cars..Firearm Accidental deaths are less than 1 percent of accidental deaths..
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Man that is not a little over the top, that is just uncalled for.. [:0][:(]
  • Options
    PATBUZZARDPATBUZZARD Member Posts: 3,556
    edited November -1
    not cool. Let's keep it civil
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,013 ******
    edited November -1
    Say something like:

"As a free and autonomous human being, I have a responsibility to ensure my own safety. As your husband, the father of your children, and the head of this family, I have a responsibility to protect those under my care.

"Far more people die in car accidents than in shootings. If you think guns are so dangerous, then acknowledge that cars are much more so, and hang up your keys right over there. I will take you to the mall shortly and get you a good pair of walking shoes."

Sorry, but I had to remove too many insults, and too much ugliness to let this go on.

Some of you just don't get it. If you see offensive material that you know will be or should be poofed, WHY OH WHY do you copy it into your response? That's just ignorant.