In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Classified Photo's from WW2

TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
edited June 2014 in General Discussion
Like you_fve never seen it_c.Pearl Harbor, Guadalcanal, Iwo Jima, McArthur landing, Hiroshima, Nagasaki_cits all here_c.

These photographs were classified during WWll.

Many of us have not seen photography like this before. Beautiful, stark black and white pictures, about 110 of them,

of historical significance in this collection. At the end of the pics there are some interesting comments.

For many of us, our fathers and/or grandfathers participated in this action...

World War II: The Pacific and Adjacent Theaters.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/captured/2010/03/18/captured-blog-the-pacific-and-adjacent-theaters/#more-1547

Comments

• Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,778 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Grim realities of war--Thanks for the pics-
  • Options
    CoolhandLukeCoolhandLuke Member Posts: 7,826 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very interesting, thanks.
    We have to fight so we can run away.
    Capt. Jack Sparrow.
  • Options
    Irish 8802Irish 8802 Member Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe the warships in photo #6 are Destroyers..
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sadly, I'm not sure if our country has the will power to do that now [:(] too much in-fighting going on now.

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I really enjoyed looking at the old pictures. Thanks!
    What's next?
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Outstanding collection of photographs. Many I had not seen before. Besides Attu, Kiska was also occupied by Japanese forces too, but they abandoned it before they had to be removed.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,282 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great pics. Grim.
    Thanks for posting.
  • Options
    discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,421 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the #2 pic is what some say is torpedoes from a midget sub that had entered the harbor undetected. look at the 2 lines headed to the battleship broadside. altho that sub was located outside the harbor later and sent to the bottom as scrap recovered after the attack, it may be the answer to one of the last questions about the attack.
  • Options
    MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the post. Love these old photos. I have hundreds of old WW I and WW II pics. None of these so I will add these to my collection.
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The pictures of the Atomic Bomb explosion were classified for some time after the war. I went to an event at Wright Patterson & they had a booth where you could view the pictures. They were not on open display but in some kind of viewer.
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,024 ******
    edited November -1
    Picture #16 depicts a Marine going ashore carrying a Thompson submachine gun with a drum magazine. (?) Probably a 1928A1, and I had no idea the military ever used the drums.

Dad served in the U.S. Navy in the Pacific during WWII. He was already in service when the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor, having joined up in the 30s to escape the harsh reality of life during the Depression.

Dad never spoke much of his service. I asked him once if he had killed anyone in the war, and he said, "Yes, I helped kill a great many, but they were a long way off." (He served on a big cruiser.)

He said that service in the Navy was better than being a ground-pounder. He said that he always had a bunk to sleep in, and always had hot food to eat, unless the ship was under General Quarters.

Beyond that, he didn't say much, but he did come away from the war with a deep hatred for the Japanese and the British.