In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Buyers Please Take Note!

nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,008 ******
edited June 2002 in General Discussion
Please, when you send your payment, take a minute and print out the winning bid confirmation email or the auction page and send it along.

If you can't print, write down the auction number AND a good description of the item you won.

Lots of buyers have a buyer name, and an email address, and a real name that have no relation. Gets confusing.

Here is how it works:

johnwayne, a bidder, bids and wins. He emails and gets the total amount and address. His email address is rambo99@ratmail.com. He never mentions his real name or address or transfer dealer in his emails. I stress in my email that I need an ITEM DESCRIPTION.

About a week later, I get an envelope from Mary Smith. In it is a check from Mary Smith, and a copy of her dealer's license. There is no mention of the item sought, no copies of emails, no clue as to what it is for. Then I have to try and figure out, with only the amount as a clue, which auction this was for.

The only thing worse is when the above happens except the check and the FFL arrive under separate cover, with no mention of one another.

I think some users only bid on one item, so they only look at one item, and then assume that the seller has only the one item to sell. I, like most sellers, may have as many as a dozen auctions ending on the same day.

This is not griping. Griping is not allowed here. This is an attempt to educate the new user of the site.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com, the best gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net

Comments

• Options
    robsgunsrobsguns Member Posts: 4,581 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Uh, you mean we're suppose to SEND a payment? I thought if I won you would just send me what I won, like Ed McMahon.

SSgt Ryan E. Roberts, USMC
  • Options
    boeboeboeboe Member Posts: 3,331
    edited November -1
    I agree this is an aggrevating problem. It causes serious delays in getting shipments off and is very frustrating to figure out.

To err is human, to moo is bovine.
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i always send a copy of the auction closed screen, and of the you have won email along with my name, address, money order, and a brief note to the seller. i also try to promptly reply to all emails sent by a seller. if you dont have a printer, write down the info on an index card and include it with you payment. these steps take very little time, and i have had no problems.

What other dungeon is so dark as ones own heart, what jailer so inexorable as ones own mind.
  • Options
    bhayes420bhayes420 Member Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey Nunn...did just what you said when I mailed off the money for the holster I bought from you! Just thought I would brag.....LOL!
  • Options
    MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    LOL!!!!!

I ship 400-500 items a week.....this is a daily occurance, even though I have it EVERYWHERE to include all the info.......99% of my negatives are from people who are too stupid to include their info.

In the last 6 years, I've had $5,000 in "unclaimed" money. 90% of that had NO return address, or name.

I donate most of it to the food bank. :)

Merc

NO! You may not have my guns! Now go crawl back into your hole!

"Tolerating things you may not necessarily like is part of being free" - Larry Flynt
  • Options
    sealyonsealyon Member Posts: 313 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know some sellers get confused. Gentleman sent me the instruction manual and some collets to a lathe I won on an auction. Only problem was, I didn't win the lathe. His reaction was a hoot when I called him. Returned items and all is well.........
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I started 30 auctions one time all starting at $9.99. Sixteen of them closed at $9.99. Four of those people sent payment of $9.99 and guess what. Yup, no auction number, no reference as to which auction, nothing, just a money order for $9.99. What a mess that was. And of course I am not griping either. LOLNew users should be required to take a course, in buying as well as selling, and pass the test with at least a C+.

If I knew then, what I know now.
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Amen, nunn. And pickenup, some of the worst space shots I've had have been from experienced buyers. It's a failure to pay attention to details, for whatever reason.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have two checks now that are in danger of becoming donations if the buyers don't straighten it out.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com, the best gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net
  • Options
    PelicanPelican Member Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    David, just endorse the checks and send them to me. I'll look into it.

The Almighty Himself Entrusted the Future of All Living Creatures to a Wooden Boat.- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -"Audemus jura nostra defendere"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    There's a good friend....Always willing to lend a hand.