In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

The "Retarded" Thread

Leeroy JenkinsLeeroy Jenkins Member Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2012 in General Discussion
Are you kidding? Can't say retarded here? Man, this place has slid into politically correctness hell! This place isn't as fun as it used to be.

Wait... "retarded" showed up. What are you talking about?????

UPDATE: Just saw the other thread was locked. PC Police at work. This place is sucking!

Comments

• Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,018 ******
    edited November -1
    I never stated that one could not write the word "retarded."

My issue is with the word "retard," when it is used as a noun to describe a human being. Same with the shortened version, "tard."

Do you know anyone who is, or has a relative who is mentally challenged? If so, ask him or his loved one whether it is all right to call the challenged person a "retard."

quote:PC Police at work. This place is sucking!

How hard is it to simply be considerate of the feelings of others?

I really thought this forum was largely attended by adults. Wow.

If this place sucks that bad, find another forum that allows offensive language, insults, and profanity. They aren't hard to find.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Dave, I'm mentally challenged every day. [:D]

Gee, crossword puzzles are fun!
  • Options
    Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Michael, I believe that may well be endemic . . .
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nunn

My issue is with the word "retard," when it is used as a noun to describe a human being. Same with the shortened version, "tard."

Do you know anyone who is, or has a relative who is mentally challenged? If so, ask him or his loved one whether it is all right to call the challengd person a "retard."

If this place sucks that bad, find another forum that allows offensive language, insults, and profanity. They aren't hard to find.

Nunn, I understand where you are coming from, and I would not call anyone "retarded" in a derogatory manner. I think my frustration stems from the PC police in our society.

Less than twenty years ago, saying something or someone was retarded was accepted and not taken as an insult. Someone decided it was an insult to them, and decided to push a PC agenda. Just seems our society has become too thin skinned. Too many people are letting words pierce their souls and enabling others to control their lives because their "feel" offended in some way.
  • Options
    redhawkk480redhawkk480 Member Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Do you know anyone who is, or has a relative who is mentally challenged? If so, ask him or his loved one whether it is all right to call the challengd person a "retard."

I can answer that , since my youngest brother has been mentally challenged since birth , if some one were to call him retard to his face, Yes i would have a problem with that
    but on the other hand when some one uses that term to another normal person that is acting like a * then i have no problem with that
    people are taking this politically correctness to darn far any more , shoot you can't hardy say any thing to any one without hurtng their little feelings

and no there are times when you should not be considerate of others feelings , some times things just flat out need to be said and if others don't like it to darn bad
  • Options
    trc313trc313 Member Posts: 3,475
    edited November -1
    retard to me is as bad as the "n" word..... if you can't say one you shouldnt be able to say the other....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by redhawkk480

I can answer that , since my youngest brother has been mentally challenged since birth , if some one were to call him retard to his face, Yes i would have a problem with that
    but on the other hand when some one uses that term to another normal person that is acting like a * then i have no problem with that
    people are taking this politically correctness to darn far any more , shoot you can't hardy say any thing to any one without hurtng their little feelings

and no there are times when you should not be considerate of others feelings , some times things just flat out need to be said and if others don't like it to darn bad

Redhawk, you make my point. Thank you.
  • Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    PC Police Alert!

Words have Alternate meanings, and useage IN CONTEXT is Important.

Then, there are Malapropisms: "I have been Retarded Since 2003 - Sure Love Not going to work!"

Nunn, You are old enough to Remember the Old useage: "His Development is Retarded" - but for the PC Police (Who Delight in the Tail Wagging the Dog) it is Correct and Polite (Technical, even), and so is the "He is Retarded" shorthand. It isn't Derogatory, simply Descriptive. "Challenged" is Obfuscatory, simply throwing up a Smokescreen to slide by the Listeners in the Hopes of avoiding the TRUTH.

"Tact" is for Cowards. Everybody has Faults/Shortcomings. Texans Speak Plain. I am a TEXAN!

"Slow" would be a Plain, Accurate, and Loving way to speak of it, without resorting to Bamboozling Verbiage.

[EDITS for Typos]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    No problem with "retarded," used as a verb or an adjective. No problem with "retard" used as a verb.

The problem is with "retard" used as a noun to describe a person.

For the umpteenth time.
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My wife has a mentally challenged cousin that lives in a home. When her Uncle passed away a few years ago, in lieu of flowers he asked for a donation to this home. It was named something -something Retard Center......Now, It's just LARC in Lansing, Illinois.
    My point is, it was just 2-3 years ago until they changed the name! I'm 53 and as far back as I can remember "Retard" was an unacceptable term.
  • Options
    1880texan1880texan Member Posts: 978 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Homeland Security IS watching you (o)(o)! Must practice political correctiveness like teachers do in school OR you will be turned into Homeland Security and their goon (is that ok??) squad will come haul your * off to the FEMA camps. [}:)]
  • Options
    mlincolnmlincoln Member Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Good for you, nunn. Very well said.
  • Options
    NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by trc313
    retard to me is as bad as the "n" word..... if you can't say one you shouldnt be able to say the other....

Well, we're not supposed to use "Profanity, nudity, vulgarity, racism, etc."...but apparently only the first three are really adhered to. Racism is alive and well on this site. I guess it's not REALLY offensive. At least to those who control the posts.
  • Options
    1fisher1fisher Member Posts: 1,012 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    To make a serious contribution here-

I would strongly encourage people to volunteer at their local Special Olympic games. (If you look, I bet you have an event in your town, or close by.)

After spending a day with the athletes and their families, I guarantee that you will never call anybody a retard again. It will change your whole outlook on people with disabilities.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:I can answer that , since my youngest brother has been mentally challenged since birth , if some one were to call him retard to his face, Yes i would have a problem with that

exactly, it is used in movies, tv shows, comedy routines everyday, still today, carlos mencia has an entire routine based on it

i would not use it to hurt anyone or in name calling, but have referred to someone going full retard during a melt down via movie photo from tropic thunder

retarded.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Racism is alive and well on this site. I guess it's not REALLY offensive. At least to those who control the posts.

Not so. RACISTS are alive and well, but when they post RACISM, I remove it. I have locked accounts of members who post racist remarks, and will continue to do so. Usually, the offender gets the message and straightens up, but not always.
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very sad, a man works all of his life, achieves success and financial security and no longer has to work; and he can't even come here and proudly exclaim that he's retard!

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,132 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can you say Asperger's Syndrome?
    NSFW
    http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ce2_1218365089

Topic contains parody on Retarded Cops and
    I think it is funny as he double hockey sticks...
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • Options
    gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you use the word "retard" to refer to someone who is truly mentally challenged..... well that's just derisive and cruel.

There are plenty of other adjectives to label the A-holes of the world.

Do a cross word or read a thesaurus!

BTW if you retard your engines timing to compensate for poor gas quality, your gas mileage will suffer.[;)]
    It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
  • Options
    Sav99Sav99 Member Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I guess the question then becomes, where does one stop? Obese people suffer and die of their condition and that's hard on their loved ones. Should we not use the word "fat" any longer. What if someone has a relative who is a homo, we can't use the word "gay"?

It would be nice if everyone was sensitive to everyone else's feelings, but in a free society that won't always happen.

But to call a Down Syndrome person a retard is obviously just wrong. That would be like calling a person with a physical disability a *. And should result in an * kicking.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    "Fat" and "gay" are descriptive terms that people use to describe themselves. Some of our very members have used those very adjectives to describe bhemselves. I never heard a mentally challenged person refer to himself as a "retard," though.

Why is this thread still alive, and why is the concept so hard to grasp? It is one word, ONE WORD, that is offensive, and should be avoided.
  • Options
    Sav99Sav99 Member Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is one word, ONE WORD, that is offensive, and should be avoided.

Completely agree.
  • Options
    redhawkk480redhawkk480 Member Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    toally disagree , who are you to decide for others what is or isn't offensive and how it should be used ,

if Nunn finds it offensive and doesn't want it used here on the forum that is one thing and is within his right/power as a Mod to do so but for him or any one else to tell any of us how to use it out in the every day life is just pure BS
  • Options
    Okie MomOkie Mom Member Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some of the sweetest people are people that are 'mentally challenged'. They usually love everyone.
  • Options
    gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by redhawkk480
    toally disagree , who are you to decide for others what is or isn't offensive and how it should be used ,

if Nunn finds it offensive and doesn't want it used here on the forum that is one thing and is within his right/power as a Mod to do so but for him or any one else to tell any of us how to use it out in the every day life is just pure BS

Common sense and/or decency should preclude anyone from "telling" you how to act in public! [;)]
    It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    The world has gone insane. Should I have said "reality challenged"?

Savage, someone who is crippled has a physical problem. Someone who has a physical problem is crippled. Anyone want to discuss "niggardly"? America is being dumbed downed (intellectually challenged?) at an amazing pace. We need a natural disaster or something to blow away the detritus. [xx(]
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BTDT
    NEWS FLASH.......for some of you.

I'm retired......NOT retarded. [:(!]

wish you could make up your mind, few days ago you where not "fully" retired, so with that analogy its safe to assume your not fully......never-mind
  • Options
    tacking1tacking1 Member Posts: 3,844
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1911a1fan
    quote:Originally posted by BTDT
    NEWS FLASH.......for some of you.

I'm retired......NOT retarded. [:(!]

wish you could make up your mind, few days ago you where not "fully" retired, so with that analogy its safe to assume your not fully......never-mind

who gives a crap what the crazy sob is? Dairy queen patrolling, parakeet stuffing, ego-centric, stuffed shirt....whole asp. probably talked to his partner about feelings for 32 years on the force....Hey dude...go make a movie! Bolivia can kiss my hairy heiny too.....and your freakin tropical bait. Ha.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Common sense and/or decency should preclude anyone from "telling" you how to act in public!

You're right! Common sense and decency SHOULD preclude anyone from telling someone else how to act! Unfortunately, common sense and decency are not nearly as common as they once were.