In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Cop fired!

alledanalledan Member Posts: 19,541
edited June 2005 in General Discussion
Accused of pulling a loaded gun on fellow officers.
A Maumee cop is off the job tonight. He was fired this morning. The Maumee police chief says the officer pulled his loaded gun on several other officers, over the course of a few months. The sticking point in this case is this: Maumee police tell us the officer never pulled out his gun in anger. They say it was all in fun. But it is simply against police policy to do what he did.

Jeffrey Strzesynski patrolled the streets of Maumee. But he is now off the streets and off the force, following a more-than-month-long internal affairs investigation. He has cleaned out his locker, and cleaned out his file drawer, and he is not to return to the police station. Police administrators say Strzesynski pointed his loaded gun at himself and fellow officers, while engaging in horseplay, several times inside police headquarters. It's just banter between officers. It goes on all the time. It was just unfortunate this officer chose to escalate it to the point of pulling out his gun and pointing it at people.

That news from inside the Maumee police department is slowly reaching the people the officers protect and serve and their opinions are divided. Strzesynski faces a number of internal charges for violating police guidelines. Those charges include disobeying division regulations and negligence in the care of public property. Officials say his conduct was unbecoming of an officer. Maumee's police chief suggested that Strzesynski be fired. He can appeal that recommendation.

Gun_smokes.gif

Delta.gif

Comments

• allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,509 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good for Maumee to get rid of a dumb *.

If I was his fellow cop, the second time he pointed that thing at me I would be ready to beat his *, but it would be better to just report it to the supervisor.
  • wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is exactly right. They should take him out and beat him half to death, then do it again tomorrow.

Over the course of a few months? He should have been fired the very first time.[:(!]

Whenever I see a cow eat grass, I am reminded that "This too shall pass."............ Baxter Black
    standard.jpg
  • trstonetrstone Member Posts: 833 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    An ordinary "scumball peasant non-cop citizen" would be thrown in jail and prosecuted for pointing a gun at someone, regardless of whether it was in jest or not. I find this sort of equality before the law---albeit rare---to be quite refreshing. He got what he deserved for being a retard and endangering others with his horseplay; why should he get a pass just because he's a cop?

I'm sure there will be others on this forum who will try to stick up for this poor, misunderstood minion of the law by arguing how excessively harsh the treatment was, and how the "rules" simply aren't the same for cops and scumball peasant non-cop civilians, owing chiefly to the rigorous training police receive in firearms handling as opposed to the average unskilled, ham-*, reactionary person on the street who can never be as dilligent or experienced in the proper handling of firearms. Oh, boy, I can hardly wait to see what they come up with, too....
  • TxsTxs Member Posts: 17,809 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it happened twice you'd need a doctor to recover the pistol.
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    No kiddin! That SOB pointed a gun at me and I imagine there would be TWO people getting fired...

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • interstatepawnllcinterstatepawnllc Member Posts: 9,390
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by trstone
    An ordinary "scumball peasant non-cop citizen" would be thrown in jail and prosecuted for pointing a gun at someone, regardless of whether it was in jest or not. I find this sort of equality before the law---albeit rare---to be quite refreshing. He got what he deserved for being a retard and endangering others with his horseplay; why should he get a pass just because he's a cop?

I'm sure there will be others on this forum who will try to stick up for this poor, misunderstood minion of the law by arguing how excessively harsh the treatment was, and how the "rules" simply aren't the same for cops and scumball peasant non-cop civilians, owing chiefly to the rigorous training police receive in firearms handling as opposed to the average unskilled, ham-*, reactionary person on the street who can never be as dilligent or experienced in the proper handling of firearms. Oh, boy, I can hardly wait to see what they come up with, too....

Gee, seems your theory is back-firing. (pun intended) You don't give charible contributions to the Police Benevolent Association do ya?

JC

Ted Kennedy's breath has killed more people than my car.
  • borderguyborderguy Member Posts: 387 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    He sould have been fired the first time.

LEO's should be led to higher standards than...

"An ordinary "scumball peasant non-cop citizen"
  • bluegoose11bluegoose11 Member Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I could have sworn I just read the other day about giving our potectors of the law full auto machine-guns. It said it is just banter between police officers it goes on all the time. His charges are disobeying reg. and negligence. It said the officers are divided on his being fired. I Wonder if average Joe pulled a loaded gun on someone they would be charged with negligence. Don't get me wrong I am all for our police force just don't want idiots like that protecting me or my family.
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    Another example of arrogant cops.. "the rules don't apply to US".

This has gotta get fixed.

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911
    edited November -1
    Nowhere in the story do I see where any officer is arrogant or holding himself above the law..

Perhaps it's just a predudice against LEO's in general!!

Read the story, it's not the officers divided over the firing....

It's the people the protect.

The guy was stupid...he should be fired..

No arrogance or LEO's holding themselves above the law. Just someone predudiced against cops reading their own agenda into an otherwise simple story.
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    So... it's not arrogant for a LEO to wave a LOADED gun around - at people - obviously expecting to go unpunished???

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911
  • trstonetrstone Member Posts: 833 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ISP: The thing is, it seems like every time a COP screws up and does something that would land Joe Citizen in jail if he did the same thing, a bunch of posters here come out of the woodwork and defend him/her to the bloody TEETH. I really am amazed that, in this instance, none of the usual "gang" have come out decrying the cop's firing over his blatant disregard for basic safety...

ME, contribute to the PBA? When it's the cops (here in Omaha) who keep coming out against any proposed CCW laws for our state? Not hardly, bucko!
    edited November -1
    Please point out to me in the story where the cop expected to go unpunished. And prove to me his state of mind was arrogance. He performed a stupid act..period!! He should be fired and was..There is nothing more to read into this without a separate agenda.
  • CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,596 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We had two officers actually engage in a gunfight in the roll call room years ago, over a woman, about ten shots were fired, no one was hit thank God, but neither of the offiers was fired. They were both transferred. They still have some of the bullet holes in the roll call room as well as the door to the female locker room. I was not there when it happened, but the officers that were in the operations room were scrambling under their desks to avoid the flying lead!

Chris8161
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof!
  • familyguyfamilyguy Member Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote: several times inside police headquarters
    There's your example of where he "expected to get away with it". He did it once and nothing happened to him, so he felt free to do it again.
    quote:Those charges include disobeying division regulations and negligence in the care of public property. Officials say his conduct was unbecoming of an officer. Maumee's police chief suggested that Strzesynski be fired. He can appeal that recommendation.
    Here's how he is not being held to the same standard. He's being charged with violating regulations and endangering property. Joe Citizen would get assault charges.

If you can't guess, I'm with TR on this one.[}:)]

Got a new gun for my ex-wife.....pretty good trade, huh?
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How many times did he get to do this before he got fired?
    Better late then never, I guess.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,509 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You had fellow cops engage in a gun battle and not get fired? That is outrageous.

I thought my former EMS led the league in not firing incompetent/stupid/reckless behavior, but that takes the cake.
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Im glad to see his type gone,Brandishing a Firearm should be on the list of charges,which is a Class II Felony.

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"
  • tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    There has been for generations a double standard for cops and the unwashed general public. And some times this double standard has been supported by the police actually lying about what happened. If you want specifics, names, dates places, just ask me.

By the way, I don't condemn this special treatment for the police when no innocent citizen suffers. And I appreciate the men/women who put on the badge,uniform and gun and go out on the street every day in an effort to keep order and safety. So if you are going to flame me, don't accuse me of hating police.

Quote "When guns were invented everything changed. For the first time in the history of the world a frail woman had a chance to sucessfully defend herself and home. My dream is that one of the anti-gun nuts will need a gun for defense and be unable to have one because of their own actions."
  • CFPythonCFPython Member Posts: 413 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Makes me wonder if that department even bothers giving psychologicals before hiring. He should have been fired the first time it happened. I know I wouldn't want to work with him (or have him behind me on a call).

The only thing worse than lawbreakers, are lawmakers.
  • alledanalledan Member Posts: 19,541
    edited November -1
    I don't know this officer personally but i do have knowledge of his arrogance! The Maumee police have their meals at a little Greek restaurant where we eat three times a week. After four years of having to listen to him run his mouth loudly and the things he says,I would not hesitate to label him as a punk type! The type of punk you would run into in an inner city environment!

I made it a habit not to do anything to catch his ire.

Gun_smokes.gif

Delta.gif
  • BlueTicBlueTic Member Posts: 4,072
    edited November -1
    We would have been charged with assault with a deadly weapon and had all rights revoked including owning firearms - This punk got fired. I won't read anything more into it - other than the obvious, real LEOs still follow the rules - always pointed in a safe direction, unless you plan to destroy....

IF YOU DON'T LIKE MY RIGHTS - GET OUT OF MY COUNTRY (this includes politicians)
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My biggest question is why they took so long to fire him? The officer had done it on several occasions. Actually pointed his weapon at other officers. And why didn't the officers report this the first time? If anyone points a weapon at me, they better have a good excuse.
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sometimes both sides go a little overboard. This time the anti-cop faction went way over the side.

Yes, this guy was an idiot. His buddies probably felt uncomfortable with him pointing a weapon at him, but as in any close-knit group, hoped he would pull over and get right.

Well, he didn't and word got up the chain of command. For whatever reason, (insurance, blood cleanup expense) he was terminated.

No mention of a warning was given. This must have been looked upon as a serious enough offence (it was) to negate that little "must do" employment requirement. Can you imagine his resume? Terminated for being a dumbazz with a loaded firearm.

I rag on cops that think they're above citizens too, because the only non-civilians are in the real military. This time everything seem to be above board.

The copshop shootout story really intregues me though. No arrest, no termination? The bosses REALLY dropped the ball on that one.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What scares me about this is his complacency about firearm handling.
    He obviously hasn't heard about ADs that happen to many people who handle guns a lot or he thinks he's infallible. In either case horseplay with firearms or tools in a shop has killed or maimed many. He doesn't deserve any slack.
  • jc_howard_54jc_howard_54 Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Reading this article and seeing the responses shows me that some of you really don't know how bad it is in the departments or understand the difficulty of firing someone after they have been hired. Having now been on both sides of the fence it is easy for me to be objective and point out things you probable don't know. Where should I start? First I applaud the police department for getting rid of this clown. The PD has enough problems with the public and don't need a moron like this. Here are several dilemmas department face that most people don't know and unfortunately don't care. When I first joined the police department a lot of us had prier military experience. You could find good qualified people every day. Today is completely different. Several of my friends are on the review board for new applicants. The horror stories they tell me would scare most civilians. It does me. One particular case was where a young man of 21 came in and applied and one of the officers on the review board recognized him from several armed robberies he had committed and was convicted of when he was 16. Not just your typical arm robbery but where they had assaulted the victim. When questioned about it he showed no remorse for what he had done and said that was when he was a juvie and we could not use it against him. After checking with the city attorney and commonwealth attorney we found he was right. Because he had a great attorney and was tried as a juvenile and not and adult we could not bring up these charges and if he passed the rest of the requirements we were going to have to hire him. The city attorney told us that we had no choice in it. So he was hired and found out he couldn't cut it in the academy and was terminated. You talk about frustrating. So you must understand when we find people with no police or military experience and think we can train them to be a good cop sometimes people turn a blind eye to some of their faults. Do I think it is right, no but I understand the issue. Another problem is that I have seen it over and over again where people who are terminated for stupid stuff like this get good attorneys and make it look like the offender was a victim, the department did not give him the proper training or didn't counsel him enough on his issues, should have sent him to a shrink before firing him because he had personal issues at home and this caused him to feel he needed to pull his gun when he got upset. Do I think it is right, No and I don't understand this one but department are sometimes afraid to take action because of the possible reaction.

One last thing and I will get off my soapbox. The general public does not understand the somewhat double standards that happen to a police officer. If one of you, I saw one of you was a bartender, a refinery welder, and I like this one Gun Shop Owner, Master of My Fate, and God of My World. Most civilians if charged with brandishing a firearm which is what this guy would be charged, unless it was in the paper you could probable keep this away from your work and nothing would happen. You could ask for time off and go to court and with a good attorney, may get a fine, maybe some jail time, depends on the circumstances, but my point is that most companies would not fire you if it did not affect the business. So you would still have your job to go to after you did your time and paid your fine. Not so with the PD, if you are charge with anything, there is the charge you have to face, then the department lets you go or suspends you and you also lose pay so you get hit twice. And if you are found guilty on something like this, don't even try to get your job back; will not happen. I have seen several officers really screwed on this issue but I have seen several that I was happy it happened to. NO law enforcement officers are not above the law, there are idiots all over the world in any occupation you can find but it is the police officers that make the news and gets discussions like this going.

Hey, this is just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Jim
  • familyguyfamilyguy Member Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    JC - first and foremost, thank you for your thoughtful reply.

I drive a forklift for a living. If I'm convicted of a felony or any crime punishable by at least a year in jail, I get fired.

Secondly, quote: get good attorneys and make it look like the offender was a victim, the department did not give him the proper training or didn't counsel him enough on his issues, should have sent him to a shrink before firing him it is clear, at least here, that the dept did NOT train or counsel him properly. No follow up until several occurances?!

I've been in government jobs before, and always the same thing. The management complains about how hard it is to actually punish/fire an employee, yet they don't follow up or act in a consistent manor.

No sympathy here, I reiterate my previous statements and agree with TR and Doug on this one.

Got a new gun for my ex-wife.....pretty good trade, huh?
  • jc_howard_54jc_howard_54 Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Familyguy,

Coming from a large police department I can tell you now that you can train and train an officer but you will still have knuckleheads out there like this one that does something stupid like this that gives the department a black eye. We were very adamant about firearms training, we did something every month and we still had officer having accidental discharges. Good officers, and if no one was injured we handled them in house and most of the time the public did not know about it. Of course you always read about this type of situation and just cringe because of the philosophers and armchair quarterbacks that come out and put their two cents in when they really don't know the whole story, but they have an opinion on it.

You said something interesting and I must comment on. You said that if you were convicted of a felony or any crime punishable by at least a year in jail you would get fired. Would you get fired if you got into an argument with a neighbor and you pointed a gun.The neighbor goes downtown and swears out a misdemeanor warrant on you (brandishing a firearm is a misdemeanor in most states). You go to court and the judge thinks that you were a little reckless with your actions, no previous arrest, so he finds you guilty, gives you a fine and suspended jail time, would you loose your job? Let me ask you another question, would you loose your job if you were arrested for drunk driving? If you answer yes to these then you must work for a government agency that has stricter rules that most other employers. I can give you dates, times and examples where people have been charged and convicted of felonies and their job allowed them back the next day. I have also seen high officials that broke the law every time you turned around, misdemeanors, and still maintained their position. I have seen officers charged with drunk driving and their employment terminated. Is that fair? Don't know you tell me. He is a great officer, goes out one night and ties one on and gets stopped, charged and the department finds out about it and he is fired. There is a case right now where a Florida off-duty police office pointed a gun at a guy, which stemmed from a road rage incident. The other drive swears out a warrant on the officer and he is suspended without pay until the case is over. Could you go without pay waiting for a court trail as long as they take sometimes? There are always two sides to each situation and until you walk a mile in a police officers shoes, don't throw stones.

I agree if the guy had been warned and warned about not pulling his gun then he should have been fired. I was a supervisor that recommended termination for one of my officers because he was a habitual liar. He didn't know how to tell the truth, do you think I wanted him to testify against someone when we caught him in lies about his personal life and other officers.

Police officers should be held to a higher standard than most individuals, I agree. But you have to remember that they are humans just like you, TR and Doug. I am sure you have idiots in your line of work that put people in danger every day. I drove a fork truck for a while and I saw drivers go off a ramp or drop a load and nothing was done. They would get warnings, just don't do it again and when they did, they couldn't drive a truck for a while but they didn't loose their job. If you want to put officers on that higher level then I feel the public needs to step up to the plate and be just as diligent in their actions.

Hey, these are just my opinions, I could be wrong.

Jim
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    jc, welcome aboard. Don't that I buy 100% of your statements, but definitely an interesting and thoughtful commentary. Thank you.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the French." (Mark Twain) ". . . And DemoCraps" (me)
  • s.guns.gun Member Posts: 3,245
    edited November -1
    It's hard for me to understand how he got away with a stunt like that the first time.
  • smithg43smithg43 Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Came accross this older posted topic. Maybe it would be helpful if the truth is known. This officer received his job back. The case was this, several officers were investigated and disciplined for the same offense, but only one was fired because of politics. An arbitrator ruled that the termination was unjustified and the officer was treated unfairly. It seems there is more to this story and that is why the officer was not fired after all. Also, this whole thng got started by one officer who was looking for revenge on another.

quote "never judge a book by it's cover"
  • jimbowbyjimbowby Member Posts: 3,496
    edited November -1
    [8D]--Thanx ALLEN-great submission by a WPOS-[}:)][}:)][}:)][:D]

I'm only wearing Black untill they make something darker
  • rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jimbowby
    [8D]--Thanx ALLEN-great submission by a WPOS-[}:)][}:)][}:)][:D]

I'm only wearing Black untill they make something darker

*cough* look at the date. *cough*

I can attest, as an officer who has been fired, and has appealed, and been re-instated, that ALL involved in this little drama learned something. Or at least we hope so.

FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com the best gun auction site on the Net! Email gpd035@sbcglobal.net
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How did the idiot ever get hired?There has got to be something wrong with his brain?Our Agency goes to the hometown of future hiree's and ask the neighborhood about the person before their hired.I always thought that was a bad idea because most folk have some that would not say a good word about you.But things like this makes me understand better as to why all the background searches are done so extensively.I hold blame on the first Officer he pointed his sidearm at for not reporting him right away.What if the second time he done it he ended up accidently killing one of his fellow Officers.Some of the blood would be on the hands of the first Officer.Because if he had reported it maybe action would have been taken and prevented the possible loss of life.This guy was no LEO he's a idiot,reminds me of the preacher practicing what he preaches.The other LEO's who seen this occur should have placed him under Arrest and filed charges.The code dont cover things of this nature period.He should serve some time,I can think up several charges to nail him with.

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"
  • hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by borderguy
    Please point out to me in the story where the cop expected to go unpunished. And prove to me his state of mind was arrogance. He performed a stupid act..period!! He should be fired and was..There is nothing more to read into this without a separate agenda.

I'm sure the other officers reacted when he did it the first time. Their reaction should have been enough to clue this guy in. Doing it again was arrogant. I'm sure he had firearm instruction that taught him not to point guns at people. It's kind of arrogant to ignore the responsibility you have have been entrusted with.
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,062 ******
    edited November -1
    At some PDs, Dallas in particular, if the background investigation can't be conducted by phone, it just doesn't get done. If the applicant happens to be female, black, Asian, or bi-lingual Hispanic, they go to the top of the list. A proper background takes time, gasoline, and shoe leather, and that is costly. They don't seem to realize that it is also costly to hire the wrong people.

At another area PD, there used to be a sergeant over personnel and training. He did a good job, thorough and fairly fast, so that there was always a pool of eligible applicants. Some efficiency experts told the administration that they didn't need a sworn officer in that position, so they put a mannequin in that office, and are having the results one might expect from a mannequin.

FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com the best gun auction site on the Net! Email gpd035@sbcglobal.net