In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Vietnam Conflict DOGS

robsgunsrobsguns Member Posts: 4,581 ✭✭
edited January 2002 in General Discussion
My wife and I just finished watching the dogs of the Vietnam Conflict on the Discovery channel. It was quite an eye opener. Those dogs, some 4,000 of them, saved a lot of lives. They had 10,000 handlers. The handlers interviewed all cried talking of the heroic actions of their dogs, and there were a couple of times when my voice cracked while making comments on the segment to my wife. Those dogs, and the stories that were told by their handlers, reinforced my theory that dogs really are people in a hairy coat. Smarter than we are some of them. The U.S. Government treated the dogs worse than the American people treated the troops returning home. The dogs were not allowed to come home, most were killed by us when we left, of the 200 that returned to the U.S., none lived to be civilians, the government lied to the vets saying that the World Health Organization would not allow the dogs to live due to the extremem risk of disease being brought into the country, and the dogs were killed. Sadly, the dogs posed no risk, and the only thing which was brought back, and allowed to survive, were the troops, contaminated with agent orange, allowed to suffer, and told that there was nothing wrong with them. That is the sad state of human morals, and a government of corrupt politicians, full of bueracratic red tape and lies. I cant imagine this has actually happened, but then I cant imagine denying it happen either. I guess thats why I'll never make it as a politician. Well,..... I am mad about this, but it is old history now, I hope we learned from this and dont let it happen again. My dog is lying here behind me, giving me an eye, lifting her eyebrow the way a dog does, you think she knows about her cousins, and what happen to them? I'd swear she can read.
SSgt Ryan E. Roberts, USMC

Comments

• Options
    LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    I saw a piece a few years ago on this same topic. I was pissed for weeks afterward. Some of the dogs were just left behind to fend for themselves. Maybe they were the lucky ones.Our govt. does things that defies logic, then lies about it because they have no explanation.
    Lord Lowrider the LoquaciousMember:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets She was only a fisherman's daughter,But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • Options
    marvhuckermarvhucker Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Real shame about the dogs. A dog's love is unconditional. It doesn't matter if your rich, poor, ugly, simple, brilliant, stupid or even a miserable liberal. Sorry, simple & liberal are redundant-my mistake. Those life-saving animals didn't deserve their fate. Perhaps we should have substituted liberals for those poor unfortunate heroic animals. Marv (SGT, USMC,66-70 Quit)
  • Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    marvhucker,Would you trust a liberal as much as you trust your dog? ... I know I wouldn't! I have a 75 pound lab that plays my 15 month old daughter more gently than a kitten. Judging from the morals of our liberal politicians, I wouldn't let one near my daughter.
    GUN CONTROL: If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.