In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What AR-10 would you pick?

mjbmxzmjbmxz Member Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
There are 4 brands I'm looking at. DPMS, Rock River Arms, Remington R-25 (DPMS makes them I think?) and Armalite. Are any of these better than the other, or they all pretty reliable and well made? Thanks for the input. Matt

Comments

• RogueStatesmanRogueStatesman Member Posts: 5,760
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mjbmxz
    There are 3 brands I'm looking at. DPMS, Rock River Arms, and Armalite. Are any of these better than the other, or they all pretty reliable and well made? Thanks for the input. Matt

I like DMPS, but perfer Rock River. I just like thier brand better.
  • Tile KingTile King Member Posts: 316 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i dont have one... yet, but i have been reading about them. seems people like the armalite version. again, thats just what i have been reading. hope i can get some good info here too.
  • Aspen79seAspen79se Member Posts: 4,707
    edited November -1
    I like my DPMS. Half inch MOA out of the box with factory 180s.
  • iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    I'd get the one that takes FAL mags... otherwise, mags are expensive and hard to find.
  • bhale187bhale187 Member Posts: 7,798
    edited November -1
    Can't speak for AR10s, but IMO, RRA's AR15s are the best on the market for the price. I'd have to guess the quality rolls over to AR10s as well.
  • AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 4,050
    edited November -1
    Rock River...it uses cheap FAL mags
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If money wasn't an issue and you wanted the best, Knights Armaments would fit the bill.
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,488 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Armalite is the only rifle of this group that should even be referred to as an AR10. The original Armalite Co. was a division of Fairchild Aviation and this was their brainstorm. I own an original and 3 other Armalite AR10's and I would not trade them for 10 of any others. Go with the original company. The only other would be the Stoner SR25 but then again some of their people were involved with the original Armalite company. If there was one person in the world I could go back and talk to it would be Eugene Stoner.
  • MgderfMgderf Member Posts: 907 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What's wrong with Bushmaster?
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by armilite1015
    Go with the original company.

You realize there is no original company to go with? Armalite is name and nothing else.
  • screwobamascrewobama Member Posts: 625
    edited November -1
    I had DPMS with heavy 24" stainless barrel. I luved that rifle but excessive dead presidents told me to sell.
  • NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    Mostly it comes down to what kind of mags you want to use as they dont change between brands.
  • MFinnMFinn Member Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have DPMS SASS and I really like it.
  • trc313trc313 Member Posts: 3,475
    edited November -1
    So which use fal mags and which ones don't?
  • jray4059jray4059 Member Posts: 266 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mgderf
    What's wrong with Bushmaster?

They no longer make AR-10s.

If you want a 16" carbine I'd advise Rock river or Armalite with a mid length gas system.

If you want a 24" bull barreled precision rifle I'd recomend a DPMS, rock river, or Armalite.

No one offers a standard rifle with the ideal gas system length for .308win direct impingement guns. by Ideal I mean 10"-12" on a carbine. 14+" on a rifle.

So the mid length gas system carbine is as close As I know of to Ideal. If any one makes a rifle with an 18" bdl with a rifle length 12" gas system, that would be better.
  • entdocentdoc Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an Armalite and even though I feel it is the highest quality, I would go with the RRA. FAL mags are reasonable and Armalite mags are not.
  • Mr. FriendlyMr. Friendly Member Posts: 7,981
    edited November -1
    quote: I think it was the same basic design Bushmaster finally gave up on because rumor has it the bolts were fragile, manufactured too thin because of how they had to strip the rounds from the FAL mags, lugs would break off.
    My Bushmaster breaks bolts, but not the lugs. It breaks the rear section constantly. Three bolts in <3k rounds. Rifle is accurate, and beautiful, but it gets annoying. Bushmaster always sends a new one, but it is like getting a starter at ghettozone, how many do you have to go through to get a good one [xx(]

DSC_0130_800x536.jpg
  • zinkzink Member Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just got an Armalite AR-10 A4 yesterday for my birthday.[:D] I have only fed 20 rds through it so far and so far so good! I will let you know. Just informal but hit a Coke can 20 out of 20.

Lance
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I'll be listing a DPMS LR 308-T here on GB very soon...today perhaps.
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thinking the next 2 308 rifles I buy will be a M1A and DPMS.

Everytime I see an Armalite AR10 on the range, it's jamming. Seen a couple DPMS 308's on the range and they all seem to work.
  • kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shoff14
    quote:Originally posted by armilite1015
    Go with the original company.

You realize there is no original company to go with? Armalite is name and nothing else.
    +1 ... I think Eagle Arms owns the name now.

I had a Stoner SR25 years ago ... like another poster, too many dead presidents and I couldn't refuse ... kinda wish I had.

Had a Armalite AR10 8-9 years ago(the design that takes the modified M14 mags) Fit and finish was horrible ... could never get it to shoot under 2" at 100, even with hand loads.

Bought a DPMS LR308 with the 24" stainless fluted barrel and couldn't be happier ... sub-moa right out of the box with 168 Sierras. I originally bought it because it takes the same mags as the Stoner and I still had 8 mags left over. Altough the mags for the RRA are cheap, the gun is more expensive to start with.

P3010254.jpg
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • mjbmxzmjbmxz Member Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the good input from everyone! I should of also said, I'm going to use it for hunting whitetails as well as turning it into a good shooter. Once again, I appreciate all the comments!!!
    edited November -1
    Also should of asked if there are any other AR-10's out there that you a guy can use for hunting/shooting or if you have an AR-10 that you hunt with yourself. Matt
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Also should of asked if there are any other AR-10's out there that you a guy can use for hunting/shooting or if you have an AR-10 that you hunt with yourself. Matt

Matt,

You would want to check your state's DNR rules for Deer Hunting. Some states don't allow semi-autos. If they do make sure you check the magazine capacity rules too and get at least 1 or 2 mags in that capacity.

AR-10 should be plenty accurate for deer.

Dan
  • hk-91hk-91 Member Posts: 10,050
    edited November -1
    dpms i had the 16 inch and i liked it for what it was
  • NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1

I have the DPMS lower already and I plan on building a .243 out of mine. It is a down the road project, maybe next year. I already have enough .308 rifles and I like the .243 round.

One big down side to the AR-10 platform is going to be the weight. My Savage 110 in .243 cant be much over 6libs and with the AR-10 and heavy barrels and accessories it will easily break over 10lbs. I love my target M1A and it is great shooter but it is heavy enough it would not be fun to pack all day long if hiking. Just something to think about.
    edited November -1
    I havent had the chance too deer hunt with my DPMS yet, Its pretty much just like the original 24" bull barrel LR-308 except it has a low profile gas block, ejection port cover and fluted barrel.

It shoots better then some factory bolt action rifles, but I keep wondering when the bolt stop is going to break. Nothing has broke to date and its ate about 1,200 rounds.

I wish someone made a pig tail gas tube or a gas block that vents off some gas pressure.
    edited November -1

Check this out, it has a rifle length gas system, 18" barrel. chmabered in .338fed., You can get one similar chambered in .308win too.

http://www.dpmsinc.com/firearms/firearm.aspx?id=50
    edited November -1
    Thanks Again for all the input!!!!!!!!
  • scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1
    NO AR type rifles of any kind in any brand. I don't like them, they are ugly, uncomfortable and antique. The whole design should have been scraped back when the troops first pointed out their many faults during Vietnam. The things I don't like about them are...the inconvenient charging handle, The buffer that requires a tube. The gas system, the carry handle with integral sights and how difficult they are to clean.
    There are many different styles of 30 cal battle rifles so far I am really pleased with the FAL and I am considering a change to a PTR
    thay are half the money of an armilite and a much better rifle IMO
  • Mr. FriendlyMr. Friendly Member Posts: 7,981
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by scottm21166
    NO AR type rifles of any kind in any brand. I don't like them, they are ugly, uncomfortable and antique. The whole design should have been scraped back when the troops first pointed out their many faults during Vietnam. The things I don't like about them are...the inconvenient charging handle, The buffer that requires a tube. The gas system, the carry handle with integral sights and how difficult they are to clean.
    There are many different styles of 30 cal battle rifles so far I am really pleased with the FAL and I am considering a change to a PTR
    thay are half the money of an armilite and a much better rifle IMO

I personally like the ergonomics of this rifle type. My lwrc has taken care of the gas issue, and has a flat-top to boot, so those two arguments go away. Cleaning a ar is simple imho, I do not actually see how it could be simplified anymore than what it is. I am not trying to argue, but ergonomics is a matter of choice to the shooter, and with the other things you pointed out becoming a non-issue, what is left to call "bad"?
  • scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1
    yeah you are right about the ergonomics, I guess, considering your modifications, you have cleared my issues except that charging handle.
    Ill tell you a story.
    My friend and I have hunted birds together for over 20 years neither of us were into military type rifles ( I carried an AR daily in the service but he never joined) like lots of folks, the thought of not being able to buy a semi-auto in the future made us both decide to buy one. He bought a RRA AR m-4 556 I bought a Sig 556. I paid 200 more for my rifle than he did.
    I went over to his property to shoot these guns and his adult son was there. he was very excited to shoot his dads rifle. I didn't say much about the difference in the guns before he did.
    SO the RRA rifle was stove piping, failing to eject, misfiring. when my friend or his son fired it. they started on factory reloads, then shifted to PMC ammo as the rifle continued it's problems. I took his rifle down and went thru everything it was all the way it should be. SO no noticeable reason for the issues.
    Meanwhile I fired PMC without a hitch, I went through 80 rds. His son noticed I wasn't having any problems. he wanted to try the Sig and noticed right away that the stock folded out of the way, the bolt handle was easy. the mag release was ambidextrous (as is the safety) and it even fired the reloads without a problem (1 0r 2 misfires)...this was a guy who nothing about these guns. He stared raving about the SIG to the point where his dad put his gun up in disgust (he hasn't fired it since)
    I notice the Sig has at least as many features as a 6920 more like a 6940 and it is less money than either of them.
    SO that is my choice, for now, but I am happy there are alternatives to the AR type rifles.
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,291 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    free one
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nope, bought it brand new ... like I said it was one of the early ones. When I ordered it they told my FFL 10 weeks which turned into nearly 6 months. I was really excited to get it but then when I opened the box, the finish was thin and splotchy looking, and it rattled like an old shot-out AR. I wasn't very happy to begin with.

I took it out and shot it a few times, the last time I even took my press and scales out to the range and clamped it to the table in the clubhouse so I could reload on the spot. When it still wouldn't group I didn't even mess around with the warranty ... I took it to a gun-show, asking a little more than I had in it(expecting to haggle) and sold it to a guy that didn't want to wait and order one ... he was as excited as I was when I ordered it and didn't care when I told him about my 2"+ groups ... I didn't go into any detail but he didn't ask for more info either.

I loaded Sierra 168 HPBT Match Mollys for my SR25, M1A, HK SR9T and Styer SSG and consistently shot sub-moa with all of them for a half of what the 168 Federal Match cost and a fraction of what Black Hills Moly Match goes for ... but I couldn't get that Armalite to shoot for crap.
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.