In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

This is my favorite...Whats yours?

toolmaniamtoolmaniam Member Posts: 3,213
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
f9bfcf75.jpg?

This is my favorite gun. It's a Remington 582 .22 rifle with tube mag and a Weaver K-4 scope. I've had this since I was 10, got the money by digging post holes. I've shot more game, varmints and pests with this than any other gun I have combined. I removed the original varnish finish and finished it with boiled linseed oil.

A dead intruder cannot testify against you in a court of law!

If they're still moving, put another round in them!

P239n_Beauty.gif

Comments

• Cyberdyne systemsCyberdyne systems Member Posts: 427 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    my favorite gun is a Chinese SKS mfg. in 1965 with the early blade bayonet, old wooden stock, all matching numbers, arsenal 26 in a triangle. I take it to the range regularly. SKS rifles are my favorite surplus rifles.
  • H.S. 10-XH.S. 10-X Member Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mine is a High Standard 10-X .22. It's the one in my signature. I've had it since the mid eighties. I've put more rounds through it than any other gun I have combined. If there's a finer shooting .22 pistol I'd like to see it, because this one is sweet!

10-X.jpg
    "If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"- Kansas
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is a tough one, but my favorite one to look at is:

1967 Ruger .44 mag sporter fingergroove carbine, all original and almost 100%. I bought it for hunting but just can't bring myself to use it.

Ruger_small.JPG

I've got favorites for other uses too, Glock 20 for defense, Benelli SBE for all bird hunting and small game.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • oldgunneroldgunner Member Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Winchester model 63 .22. I haven't had it all my life, but used one exactly like it at 11 years old, and the memory will always be with me.

There are no bad guns, only bad people.
  • RUGERGUNZRUGERGUNZ Member Posts: 5,638 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bambihunter, that is one nice Ruger. Wish they would come out with this model on their new design.

RUGER.jpg

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." -- Sigmund Freud, General Introduction to Psychoanalysis
  • toolmaniamtoolmaniam Member Posts: 3,213
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bambihunter
    This is a tough one, but my favorite one to look at is:

1967 Ruger .44 mag sporter fingergroove carbine, all original and almost 100%. I bought it for hunting but just can't bring myself to use it.

I know what you mean...If I ever got a scratch on my Remington 700 in .270 I would cry like a baby.[:D]

P239n_Beauty.gif
  • gun_runnergun_runner Member Posts: 8,999
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by toolmaniam
    f9bfcf75.jpg?

This is my favorite gun. It's a Remington 582 .22 rifle with tube mag and a Weaver K-4 scope. I've had this since I was 10, got the money by digging post holes. I've shot more game, varmints and pests with this than any other gun I have combined. I removed the original varnish finish and finished it with boiled linseed oil.

P239n_Beauty.gif
    Nice refinishing job. How many coats of linseed oil did you put on it and what did you use to buff it?

Larry
    edited November -1
    Here is another one of my favorites. A Winchester Model 68. I don't know of the exact date of it's manufacture, but it was in the '30's. It belonged to my grandfather, father, and now me. And as far as I can tell it has no serial number. This gun has killed numerous squirrels and other varmints. In fact I just shot a bat with it not too long ago with one of those little .22 shotshells.
    win681.jpg

10-X.jpg
  • wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is hard, but I have a special like for the Model 63 factory scoped Winchester at the bottom of this picture. Made in 1953 and probably 98%+. The 61 is just as nice, the 62A not quite.

picture.JPG

If you need the serial #s, feel free to call me.[:o)]

Whenever I see a cow eat grass, I am reminded that "This too shall pass."............ Baxter Black
    standard.jpg
  • Big StickBig Stick Member Posts: 77 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The uppermost rifle is probably my favorite,as it sees the most trigger time.

fa5c91ce.jpg

It's a 700 short in 223AI(standard neck). It wears a fluted #7 Hart twisted 1-14" and is 21 inches long.

The M40A1 stock wears Badger bottom metal and the receiver wears a Badger 20MOA rail and Badger standard height rings. Scope is a Leupold 3.5-10x LR M1 Duplex.

It is a pretty forgiving system and does the seemingly impossible,on the average. I'm sweet on it,to say the least.....................
    edited November -1
    I dig your 63................
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by H.S. 10-X
    Here is another one of my favorites. A Winchester Model 68. I don't know of the exact date of it's manufacture, but it was in the '30's. It belonged to my grandfather, father, and now me. And as far as I can tell it has no serial number. This gun has killed numerous squirrels and other varmints. In fact I just shot a bat with it not too long ago with one of those little .22 shotshells.
    win681.jpg

10-X.jpg

Your rifle was made in 1934 or very early 1935. The 68s came out in 1934 with the finger groove stock. It was changed to the smooth stock in early 1935. There were very few differences between the model 67s and the 68s. Just the die markings and the sights. The model 68 was offered until 1944. Your's looks like a very nice rifle. There were
    98,496 model 68s sold.

It would fit right into my pile.[:D]

Whenever I see a cow eat grass, I am reminded that "This too shall pass."............ Baxter Black
    standard.jpg
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Big Stick
    I dig your 63................

Thanks, It's wearing an older 3X9 Redfield..... I can't see your's. All I see is piles of sticks and leaves and some unidentifiable spots on the screen.[:D] Them things could hurt you and you wouldn't even see them coming.

standard.jpg
  • toolmaniamtoolmaniam Member Posts: 3,213
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gun_runner
    Nice refinishing job. How many coats of linseed oil did you put on it and what did you use to buff it?
    Larry

I poured the linseed out in my hands, just a little at a time and hand rubbed it in till the oil got warm, continued this process till I got the desired color and lustre. After that I just took a lint free cloth and rubbed it down till all the excessive oil was gone. My Dad and his Dad used to do this to all their guns. Another note...I scraped all the old finish off with broken shards og glass and then sanded. If you use a chemical stripper sometimes you will get light and dark spots in the wood. I refinished it when I was 14.

P239n_Beauty.gif
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just a few My trusty M1A & Savage 112 25-06
    gunpic.jpg

gun1.gif
    "If you aim at nothing,
    you will be sure to hit it"
    hsas371x48.gif
    Santa_Cruz.gif
    [img][/img]
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the history lesson wundudnee. It also has a factory peep sight which I have never seen before on that model. It still shoots just as good as ever. This gun, to me, is priceless.

10-X.jpg
  • HARDRIGHTHARDRIGHT Member Posts: 48 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just a few of the favorites ... no particular order ...

SR9-T2.jpg
    P1050002.jpg
    Urban%20Combat2.jpg
    aBushy.jpg
    SteyrFamily.jpg
    MyFAVORITE10-22.jpg
    AMauser-almost%20done.jpg

===========================
    Chance favors the prepared mind [8D]

Topeka.gif
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
    edited November -1
    Who built the fluted MSG-90 lookin' rig? Was it Jason,by chance? How does it shoot? Is the chamber fluted? Thoughts?

How about the SS scope?.....................
    edited November -1
    I built this in 98/99, I think long before Jason was doing builds ... at least no one reccomended him or any of the other now popular builders ... this was back when you could buy a SLG95 receiver (made in Portgual) with the trunion and cocking tube installed and came with a parkerized finish ... for $425. A friend of mine cut the barrel from a Douglass XXX blank and installed it ... thats when I found how necessary the chamber flutes are ... Different companies told me of different ways to polish it yada yada yads ... then, thanks to Todd at Special Weapons, I finally found Murray Urbach and sent it to him, he R&R'd the barrel cut the flutes and added a trunion extension for better support of the handguard ... its been a gem ever since!

I've heard of some people having trouble with the SS scopes but mine has been flawless ... I can shoot cloverleafes at 300yds so easily its almost boaring ... but not quite.

Topeka.gif
    edited November -1
    'kid,

Appreciate the feeback.

I much like the concept and it sounds like she panned out nicely. I've had a similar project in mind and Jason seemed most receptive and feedback upon his work is most positive.

Obliged...................
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey kid, can I come over and play with some of your toys? [}:)]

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • bama55bama55 Member Posts: 6,389 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Toolman,

Saw the pic of your 582, and almost thought, "I better check my shop to see if mine is still there"! Then remembered, mine is minus a scope right now.[:D] Finished the stock on mine, the same as you.
    The 582 is my favorite .22 that I own.

"Don't send flowers when I die. Send money now so I can buy more guns and ammo."
  • punchiepunchie Member Posts: 2,792
    edited November -1
    KK
    You can come play with my handguns if I can come and play with your longuns. My turn to drool!!!!

AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY
    edited November -1
    punchie & pickenup
    I'm thinkin when I win the lottery I'll rent a tropical island, and fly all us GB members and our toys there for a long weekend ... just get everybody and all our toys together, and as long as I'm dreaming I'll provide the ammo too!

Topeka.gif