In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Reloading

Gene B.Gene B. Member Posts: 892 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2002 in General Discussion
Hi agian, I heard reloading can save you lots of money if you do lots of shooting.....how hard is it to reload? About how long does it take to reload 20 bullet? And if I do decide to reload what would be a good reloading station for .308?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    My wife said something today about getting me some reloading equipment today for Christmas. What are some of the must haves? I plan to reload: 25 WSSM, 300 Win, and possibly a 308 I will purchase in the future. Thanks for the imput.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Is there a reloading section in 'da house. Got a couple ?? and maybe a comment or 2.... didnt want to do it in the wrong place. Billy

The shortest recordable time ever mearsured was from the time the light turned green and the lady behind you blew her horn.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have been thinking about reloading. Anyone know of a good place to buy a starter kit? Thanks for the help. Anything you want to say please feel free to . I have never done it. I figure i would enjoy it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My roomate just got his reloading set up going. He has a RCBS grand for 12 Ga and I think it is the RCBS master kit. I wasn't interested in reloading until I started doing it. Anyway he is leaving and I need to get my own set up. Is RCBS the way to go or is there somthing else out there that is just as good or better. Keep in mind that money is a factor. I'm not sure how much it should cost but I am no bank. Any help would be cool; thanks.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I wondering should I start, I was thinking about this one here??

http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=364270914
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Wanting to start reloading.Which is a better deal Hornady Lock-n-Load Kit or RCBS Supreme Master Kit.Anyone have experience with either one or both? Any suggestions?
    Both on sale at Cabelas.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I know nothing about it.
    What would it cost for a "starter kit"?
    5.56, .45acp, and .40s&w would be my poison.
    What are the costs of each reloaded round?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I hate when somebody re-sizes a case
    before they tumble it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    How much can one expect to spend when getting started? I would like to reload some .308, is it expensive to switch to reloading another caliber? I don't know much about this but am thinking of trying it out.
    Thanks for the input

KungFu.gif
    Opinions are like azzholes, eveyone's got one, and this just happens to be mine!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hello all,
    I have decided that I want to start reloading. So, what do I need and about how much should I expect to spend? I would like to reload 300wsm, 30-06, 9mm, 40 cal, 357, 44 mag. I'm assuming I can buy 1 press and multiple dies to match the calibers. Would the multiple calibers require different powders? Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks....nick
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I love shooting my 30 carbine. Can I save any money by reloading?
    I have been buying them on the cheap about $20 / 50
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I posted the same topic in the other room maybe I'll get a few more answers here too..
    Ok, here's the deal. I've never reloaded or known anybody that reloaded. Now that I've bought an SKS I'd love to start reloading for it and my CZ 40P, and I have no idea where to start.
    My questions are these...
    1.) Is it worth it to reload 7.62x39 rounds? What about 40 S&W?

2.) What do I need to start, best value reloader, etc???

3.) What literature do you recommend???

4.) open to comments.......

Better to carry a pistol and not need it than need a pistol and not have it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    looking for some advice on a good progessive press i want to load 9mm 357mag 40s&w what seems to be a good but reasonable press
  • Options
    edited November -1
    what happend to that forum?
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I dug the reloading equipment my brother sent me 2 years ago out of the closet. With payday next Friday, and our tax returns coming, I think I'm going to buy the materials to build a reloading bench and start reloading.

My main focus is .30-06 and 5.56 NATO. I will do 7.62x54R if I can find reloadable brass and data for it.

My brother also recommended Hornady lock rings for the dies. It took me about 20 minutes to figure out how to assemble the primer insertion tool.

SDC11563.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What reloading brands do you guys use/trust?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I posted a topic about reloading in the reloading board but I know I would get a quicker response.

I have a lee turet press for my 9mm pistol and my 223. I am looking at starting 308 and I want to get another press so I dont have to change the dies, I am thinking of getting a single stage press like the Lee challenger and 308 deluxe rifle dies. or a hornaday lock and load. which is better? What do you use
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Any member in here have a .45 auto, that they dont reload for and would like to??

flageagle.gif

"I dont care how thin you make a pancake, it still has two sides"

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ok. I want to start reloading, I have many different calibers,... What is the best setup to start with? I don't want to spend a fortune on it.. The whole point of me reloading is to get some good ammo and save some money.. Any suggestions??
  • Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gene,
    I mostly use a Dillon progressive, with it I can load 20 rounds in about 5 minutes or less when its setup and ready to roll, typically about 200 rounds per hour, for some reason, .223 goes a bit faster; 225-250 per hour and .45 ACP I can do about 350-400 per hour.

With my single stage RCBS press, changing dyes to do all the steps, weighing charges individually (I don't have a powder trickler) 100 rounds takes about 4-5 hours; this is doing everything manually for every cartridge:

Step 1. Setup resizing/deprimer dye and process cases

Step 2. Seat new primer (using hand primer)

Step 3. Weigh powder and charge case (some people use a dipper, trickler, or manual powder drop meter which would make it a little faster, but the only time I use this process is for competition loads.

Step 4. Set up bullet seating dye, and process your batch

Step 5. Set up crimp dye and process your batch (this is factory crimp and is optional, if your seating dye is set up correctly it will put a light crimp at the throat)

There have been lots of threads recently concerning re-loading, preferred equipment, cost savings, accuracy benefits ect ... try doing a search.

======================================================
    Just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you!kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    loader44loader44 Member Posts: 92 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gene B,
    As stated by kimberkid, you save by what you reload and what you buy as a reloader. I use Lee presses, that is what my father left me we he passed away 8 years ago. Some shooters do NOT like Lee, but they have served me well. I have three, 1 single station, 1 semi-progressive and the LoadMaster. I can do about 60rds an hour in rifle,( 30-30 & 45-70 ) and about anywhere from 300 to 600 rounds per hour for pistal, depending on what cal.
    If you want to start out with a less expensive reloading machine, But still a good quality machine, I suggest the LEE, If you know for sure you want to reload for a life time, then invest in the Dillion.
    Some people " Rag " on the Lee stuff, but I have had NO problems with my presses. I replaced my semi-progressive last year, "wore the thing out", loaded about 40k on that press, cost me $35 for a new one shipped to my house. Dillion would have cost you nothing, but you pay more up front for the Dillion.
    $250 to $300, will get you everything you need to reload if using Lee presses, ( tumbler, press, dies,media, polish, brass sizer-cutter, powder mesure, primer pocket cleaner, lube for the brass & other asst. things you will need.

Now for the bad news, Yes you save money by reloading, but you usually shoot up all the savings at the range. More rounds to shoot, the more you go to the range. But my family sure do enjoy going to the range.

Hope this helps in some small way.

loader44.
  • Options
    Matt45Matt45 Member Posts: 3,185
    edited November -1
    Gene-
    KimberKid is steerin' ya in the right direction, search the recent history for reloading posts, lots of good info there. Another thing you really should do, is find a mentor to show you some of the ins and outs- the books can't tell you everything or double check your safety pratices. Generally speaking I've found that pistol calibers such as .38 Spcl., .45 ACP, and 9mm Para. are the simplest to re-load, and are a great place to start- I'd stay away from larger rifle calibers until you've gained some experiance and have established some solid safety routines. Did I mention safety??

In regards to equipment-
    I really like the Lee stuff for accessories- funnels, case trimmers, chamfering tools & such, but for my dies, I'm all about RCBS- my experiance with their customer service and their "no questions" parts replacement policy is unparalled. I've used Lee dies for 7.62X39 and 7.62X54R and haven't had any problems, but I only load very limited quantities in those calibers. I've been looking towards a progressive re-loading setup, and am leaning towards a Dillon 550B, mostly because I've heard lot's of good things on this board about them. With my RCBS Rockchucker I can crank out about 250-300 rounds in four hours, not including case prep time.

I stole Kimber's steps and modified them for my own routine.

Step 1. Polish brass- usually about 6 hours per 4-500 (When I have a tumbler!)

Step 2. Check overall length of each case, and inspect for obvious damage, splits, bulges, bad dents. (Also trim cases to proper length)

Step 3. Setup resizing/deprimer die and process cases. I use Hornady "One-Shot" lube on my cases, about 150 at a time in a paper bag, this works really well for me and since it's a "dry" silicone lube it never affects my primers or powder.

Step 4. Seat new primers (using a Lee hand primer)

Step 5. Seperate & segregate case types, IE- Winchester brass, Remington, Military, Nickel/Brass, Ect.

Step 6. If I am loading pistol ammo, I "bell" the mouth of each case with the die included in a three die set for that purpose.

Step 7. Reference load data, double check against load data I have developed for each pistol. I clear my bench of everything not necessary for the specific caliber I am working with at this time.

Step 8. "Throw" powder after setting my RCBS Powder thrower.(Powder type is critical for use in this device, Unique and other powders will not meter consistantly) I check the first 5, the 10th, 20th, 30th, 40th, and last 3-5 rounds of each tray of 50, to do this I wiegh those charges on a RCBS 5-0-5 scale. I also "flashlight" the loading block to check for any double charged cases.

Step 9. Set up bullet seating die for the specified overall loaded length and "press lead". (Or plated, or moly-coated, or JHP or.....)

Step 10.Fill out a load data sticker for each box/batch of 50 and also annotate if the load is for GP use in all of my pistols in that caliber, for a specific pistol and/or if it's a certian type, hot load or what-have-you.

Step 11. Go to the range about four times as often as I would if I bought factory ammo only .

(Whew- after reviewing that, it seems like.....work!)

Reserving my Right to Arm Bears!!!!
  • Options
    BlueTicBlueTic Member Posts: 4,072
    edited November -1
    Depends on what you are going to shoot, your budget, and time you want to spend, accaracy you want to achieve. I like to do the single stage and go through each step. I am still a beginner and have found that I get a very accurate round by going through the stages one at a time. If you are looking for massive production - which by no means is to say you will lose accuracy - then a good dillon can't be beat. I dare say though that you can't make MATCH GRADE unless you go through and measure and tune all of the components individualy, prior to loading, after sizing, checking primer pockets, individual load measurments and seating depth/crimp - then check OAL. Just my opinion guy's, but 20 rnds of accurate ammo takes me less than 1 hr assuming my Daughter or Son has not moved my things around in the Loading room/spare bedroom/game room. I am trying to get them into loading (why should I do all the work).....
    Note - that 1 hour does not include polishing time after depriming and trimming since I usually do that whilst I get my honey doo's done or overnight (4-8 hours tumbling time)
    IF YOU DON'T LIKE MY RIGHTS - GET OUT OF MY COUNTRY (this includes politicians)

Edited by - BlueTic on 09/01/2002 11:21:45
  • Options
    Single ShotSingle Shot Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gene
    I think the other posts have covered your questions pretty well. I have reloaded for about 25 yrs now and I have the same tools that I started with, RCBS rockchucker and mostly RCBS dies. (Any good brand will work.)I don't shoot as much as I would like but more than most. I don't reload to save money as much as for the enjoyment and hobby time that I get from doing it.
    main thing to remember is SAFTY SAFTY SAFTY!!!!!

It should only take one !!!
  • Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think I saw someplace, maybe Shotgun News, Lee had a free single stage press with a copy of their reloading manual (some anniversary thing), somewhere around $30. Since I like to read myself to sleep with re-loading manuals ( kidding) I ordered one, It only took a couple years to wear it out, but that's long enough to decide weather or not you like doing it ... As Saxon pointed out, you can use scoops or dippers that come with the Lee dyes and you can get by without scales and all that ... you could actually probably get started loading one caliber for less than $100 if you really shop around (this is where a knowledgeable friend comes in handy), but if you like it, after a while, you'll want all the extra "stuff"

======================================================
    Just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you!kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.