In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

E-mail scam??

SUBMARINERSUBMARINER Member Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2002 in General Discussion
I know Im mister questions tonight but has anybody gotten an e-mail from a guy in china saying some army dude died and left 30 mill in the bank and wants you to act as next of kin for %10 of the take??

SUBMARINE SAILOR,TRUCK DRIVER,RUSTY WALLACE FAN AND AS EVERYONE SO OFTEN POINTS OUT PISS POOR TYPIST e-mail:WNUNLEY@USIT.NET

Comments

• Options
    charlie15charlie15 Member Posts: 937 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ditto submariner!! Got 3 or 4 in last 2 weeks. For several months before this, had been getting same thing from some nigerian's. They must be working this SCAM together!!

IF A GOVERMENT'S OPPRESSIVE, THEN REPRESS IT!!
  • Options
    snake-eyessnake-eyes Member Posts: 869
    edited November -1
    I got one of those a year ago, emailed him back a virus and ain't heard a word since.

*In 1909 Henry Ford created the Model T and it got around 30mpg..today's Ford's may be safer and more luxurious but in 100 years we've not really gotten further on a gallon of gasoline have we?*
  • Options
    SUBMARINERSUBMARINER Member Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    eexxxxccuuuussseee mmeeeeeee!!(I cant type it the same way steve martin said it)I was not asking if i should respond I mean regardless of what alot of yall think I aint ignant.I was just sharing with everyone else what i knew to be a scam and to see i=f anyone else got it

SUBMARINE SAILOR,TRUCK DRIVER,RUSTY WALLACE FAN AND AS EVERYONE SO OFTEN POINTS OUT PISS POOR TYPIST e-mail:WNUNLEY@USIT.NET
  • Options
    muleymuley Member Posts: 1,583 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I haven't received any of these emails yet. However, if you do and keep getting them and want to do something...here is something I found in our paper. It lists links and fax numbers you can forward the email to for whatever good it will do...just for your info..
    muley

The Color of Money: Q & A

12-Nov-2002

By Michelle Singletary

WASHINGTON - Each week I invite readers to contact me with their comments or questions.

While I can't respond to every letter or e-mail, I do try on occasion to comply with requests for additional information on many of the issues I've covered.

Here are some of the most recent and frequently asked questions:

Question: My company received a (Nigerian scam) letter. We recognized it for what it was. What should I do with the letter?

Answer: I recently wrote about an illegal scheme in which con artists, often living in Nigeria, try to get people to agree to transfer millions of dollars into their bank accounts in exchange for a promised percentage of the money.

The problem is, there aren't any millions to be transferred. The intent of this scam is to get people to pony up their own money for bogus upfront fees.

The U.S. Secret Service says to forward e-mails that appear to be ``419'' cons (named after the section of the Nigerian penal code that addresses fraud schemes) to 419.fcd@usss.treas.gov. The Secret Service is building a database of the different versions of this scam. It also shares the information with other law enforcement agencies.

If you have received a 419 con letter via regular mail or fax, but have not lost any money, you can fax a copy of the pitch to (202) 406-5031.

If you have been victimized by one of these schemes, you should forward any written documentation to the Secret Service, Financial Crimes Division, 950 H St. NW, Washington, D.C. 20223, or telephone the agency at (202) 406-5850.

A word to the wise: Don't do what I did. I was intrigued by what would happen if I responded to one of these e-mails. I had no intention of participating in the dishonest deal, but as a reporter I was curious.

An onslaught of e-mails came back directing me to call someone in Nigeria and forward my bank account number and personal information. I could just kick myself. Months later, I'm still paying for my curiosity. Now I receive triple the number of e-mails from these crooks.

************NRA Life Member************
  • Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    EEXXXXCCUUUUSSSEEE MMEEEEEEE!

Howd'jall think i become indemens... independamdentluy, ahhh heck .... rich?

Its on teh up and up .... really ... I'm living proof ...

Oooop's
    I think the IRS, BATF, KBI, FBI, IOU and Breau of Home Security "BOHS" (pronounced "bro's") is here ... gotta RUN!

===========================
    Chance favors the prepared mind
    kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.