In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

best gun for when the s--t hits the fan

ddhotbotddhotbot Member Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2002 in General Discussion
was thinking today about what gun is best too keep around for when and if the s--t hits the fan? lets hear your ideas.guess i would have too go with the ar-15 or any good rifle in .223.
keep on bangin boys ,don

Comments

• Options
    LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    If I had to choose only one it'd be my AR-15. However, I've been real impressed with my FN/FAL .308 since I got it a few months back. A little big and heavy for house-to-house street fighting. Sure is an accurate, straight-shooting banger, though.

Lord Lowrider the LoquaciousMember:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets She was only a fisherman's daughter,But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • Options
    bama55bama55 Member Posts: 6,389 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If only one---AR-15.
    Would prefer--AR-15 and .45 acp sidearms.

Don't send flowers when I die. Send money now, I can buy more ammo.
  • Options
    offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've looked at this question in depth over the last -- oh, maybe a year now -- thinking I was going to have to go to .308. But I've changed my mind. The best round is the one Kalashnikov still says the Russians should have stayed with -- the 7.62x39, in a good AK-style platform. I like the .308 in a sniper, and I like the .223 for specialized uses, but for when the s*** hits the fan, and you're dragging your rifle across the lawn or just trying to knock guys down at reasonable distances with single hits -- I don't think you can beat the AK with anything. Even a shotgun, except for those now limited by NFA rules, won't give you as much firepower as one good AK with lots of 30-round mags. In the .308 you'll be shooting 20 round mags or less, and in the .223 you may have to hit more than once.

I know this is not the only view on the subject, but I've settled it to my satisfaction in favor of Kalashnikov's AKM, in the intended caliber. I also keep a shotgun around, and handguns, of course. Even a .30 caliber for light utility. But that's that. I'm thinking of by-passing the .308 altogether and going to a sniper rifle in a larger 'African' caliber, if that gives you an indication of my current feeling on the subject of something bigger and more accurate than an assault rifle.

- Life NRA Member
    "If cowardly & dishonorable men shoot unarmed men with army guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary...and not by general deprivation of constitutional privilege." - Arkansas Supreme Court, 1878
  • Options
    HighNoonHighNoon Member Posts: 444 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have to agree with Offerer. AK, clean or dirty to do the job, plus a Sig 220 or 229 as a sidearm for those smaller jobs.

Offerer, who's 7.62 X 39 ammo would you use?????

Edited by - HighNoon on 09/29/2002 19:33:34
  • Options
    Dyer_MakerDyer_Maker Member Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    sig-mansig-man Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Remington or any other pump 12 guage shotgun, probably your best bang for the buck, I would rarher face any other conventional firearm than a 12 guage shotgun...
  • Options
    offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    HighNoon -- Right now I've got maybe 1000 rounds of Norinco that shoots good, but I'll take suggestions on it.

- Life NRA Member
    "If cowardly & dishonorable men shoot unarmed men with army guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary...and not by general deprivation of constitutional privilege." - Arkansas Supreme Court, 1878
  • Options
    will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    The M-240G and a whole bunch of ammo. For class 3 users of course.

"When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our friend."
    ~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
    Will270win@nraonline.com
  • Options
    HighNoonHighNoon Member Posts: 444 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I had unlimited funds for ammo, I suppose I'd go with American Eagle or UMC if they make 'em. Even though AK's were made to chew up Wolf ammo, I'm still leery about that brand.
  • Options
    DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would say the scenario you describe calls for a spray gun full of concentrated Lysol or Mr. Clean.

Often the mind believes it is thinking, when it is only passing from one metaphor to the next.

Edited by - DancesWithSheep on 09/29/2002 19:59:41
  • Options
    bk0331bk0331 Member Posts: 523 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    One you can consistenly hit your target with. Everything else comes down to personal preference.
  • Options
    mkirklandmkirkland Member Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Of the guns I have I would take my AR. It's light compact I have 7 magazines for it and I have some rounds. Also if I run out of rounds most if not all military carry .223 so it wouldn't be too hard to pick some up.
  • Options
    rameleni1rameleni1 Member Posts: 998 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would use my sks first. This is the only semi-auto rifle that has never failed me. And thinking about it, its the cheapest rifle I ever bought, 195.00. 1911 would also be there.

Rameleni1
  • Options
    Nitesky59Nitesky59 Member Posts: 78 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    kind of off the subject, but is there anybody that really thinks its ever gonna come down to martial law or anything serious? and what about the AR-15 style with the caliber pistol uppers, like olympic arms makes in the the 9mm, .45 acp and other calibers. seems to me a little more practical as far as the number of rounds one could carry. of course, they don't carry quite the punch of a .223 and if someone's wearing body armor, i'd definitely vote for 7.62 mm.

Benjamin D. Johnston
  • Options
    beachmaster73beachmaster73 Member Posts: 3,011 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    M1A in .308....Use it to shoot the guy with AK varient from a range which he can not respond...then you have his rifle and ammo..easy as pie!! Beach
  • Options
    dads-freeholddads-freehold Member Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    greetings, i also agree with off'ror, an ak is the best shoot and scoot rifle on the market. and it will devour any 7.62x39 on the market. i keep harping on this, but remember you will have a limited resupply, basicly that means you will have to hump with your ammo. take this lil exam take fifty pounds and carry it around for a couple hours, run up some stairs a couple dozen times, take it on a mile jog or a five mile walk. that is close to 300 rds and a rifle. now add water , underware , sox, food, good boots. and you have enough to sustain you thru about 2 minutes of a fire fight, (substan. less on full auto). respt submitted dads-freehold

if your going to be a savage, be a headhunter
  • Options
    royc38royc38 Member Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Amen on beach's response. The .308 will tap them out at incredible distances. The M1a is the perfect weapon.
  • Options
    charlie15charlie15 Member Posts: 937 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    L1A1> That's a fact jack!!

IF A GOVERMENT'S OPPRESSIVE, THEN REPRESS IT!!
  • Options
    boeboeboeboe Member Posts: 3,331
    edited November -1
    BM59

To err is human, to moo is bovine.
  • Options
    GatofeoGatofeo Member Posts: 230 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are many varieties of poop, and not all fans turn at the same rate.
    A. Major blackouts in the city and looters begin moving in: 12 gauge pump shotgun with 00 buck. Even birdshot will do the trick. Slugs are useful against car bodies and barricades but too much penetration for most urban settings. The sound of a pump shotgun being cycled will usually discourage most people.
    B. Masses of people trying to loot your place: AR15 or Ruger Mini-14 with standard 55-grain full metal jacket ammunition in 30-round magazines. A few Molotov cocktails handy, to illuminate the dark and stall out a massed assault.
    Say what you will, but it's hard to beat a good Molotov Cocktail for instilling terror in a foe. Heck, the Russians used them with great effect to knock out German tanks in World War II.
    C. Car-jacker begins beating on your window and screaming: My Kimber 1911 .45 Automatic. A glimpse at that big bore should send him running. If not, I'll wait until he either gains entry or produces a weapon, then shoot him. If all he's doing is pounding on your window, that doesn't constitute grounds for deadly force.
    D. Total collapse of civilization as we know it: AR15 or Mini-14. With softpoint ammo, they will take deer and even elk and moose if that tiny bullet is carefully slipped into the head or neck. The ammo is lighter to carry than the 7.62, which means you can carry more. Who knows when you will be resupplied, if ever?
    E. Find my girlfriend in bed with another guy: A starter pistol loaded with blanks. Firing wildly while screaming like a madman, I'll send him out the window in pure terror, running down the street nekkid as a jaybird. Fitting punishment for the cad.

"A hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .44!"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    "...fitting punishment for the cad."

The bounder!!!!

Lord Lowrider the LoquaciousMember:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets She was only a fisherman's daughter,But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,444 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Really a good post Gat. Are you sure that you are a starting member?!

cbxjeffIt's too late for me, save yourself.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    mkirklandmkirkland Member Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nitesky, Yes I think it will come to that!
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As stated before there are different degrees of poop hitting fans.For the all out chaos scenario and if you have a significant other---then, one carries an AR type, the other carries an AK. One carries a 45 pistol, the other carries a 9mm. One carries a small concealed 357, the other a small 22. You do not have to carry a lot of ammo, because between the two of you, you would have a weapon that would accept "most" any ammo you would find on the bodies of those unfortunate enough to get in your sites. Unless of course you are just hiding out.Being proficient with whatever you carry, is way more important than "what" you carry. A 22 in the eye/ear is better than a miss with a 50 bmg.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • Options
    WyomingSwedeWyomingSwede Member Posts: 402 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hate to disappoint all you spray-an-pray fans...marksmanship does neutralize superior firepower and/or numbers. ( Marines at Chateau-Thierry...WWI)
    Would have to go with my 45-70 guide gun and 400 gr cast bullets, carry my .44 mag on the side. My version of sh** hitting the fan would include the large bears as well as the urban gorillas. Pick your ground well, as old Stonewall Jackson once said, and half the battle is won. ( Maybe it was some other confederate, there's room for more.) Flak jacket would have problems with a 45-70.
    Probably a .300 winmag for distance shooting, too!

swede

WyomingSwede
  • Options
    dads-freeholddads-freehold Member Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    greetings, wyomingsw'de i could be wrong but the quote was from longstreet, but i like nathan bedford forrester's " i gets there firstest with the mostest".. respt submitted dads-freehold

if your going to be a savage, be a headhunter
  • Options
    sundownersundowner Member Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have to go with Beachmaster . . . M1A.
  • Options
    timberbeasttimberbeast Member Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gat, the Russians never used Molotov Cocktails. The Finns did, while fighting the Russians, in fact the whole country sent bottles to the Mannerheim Line.
    Best gun? You're never outgunned until you miss.
  • Options
    WWllVetWWllVet Member Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As has been indicated by others here, WHAT EVER you are comfortable and most accurate with. I will take my M-1 30-06, I know what I can do uot to 1200 yards with it. Let's see your 'spray and pray' toys reach out that far. Also my sidearm would have to be my .41 mag. Redhawk. Chew on those apples.

Vet
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would prefer something that is equally suited for urban combat as it is for shots beyond the typical Kalashnikov variant's capabilities. Give me one of those DSA versions of the FAL with a bunch of 20 round magazines in a carbine package and I'll be happy. Being up in the hills away from the city may be a good thing in this scenario but sometimes you have to take the fight to the enemy.
  • Options
    wipalawipala Member Posts: 11,068
    edited November -1
    It depends on what and where the S%^t hit. In town or in the boonies
    In town a real nice quiet 22 pistol can get you (Not give) all the firepower you need if you know what your doing. Like the old Liberator 45 from WWII use it to get what you need from someone who already has it. It's also useful for other things. In the boonies any good accurate rifle can do the job. The key is hit them before they can get to you. Up close and personal a pump 12 ga. will ruin anybodies day. Even the guys in bpv's will go down with blunt trauma from a 12 ga rd to the chest. Then you go with a followup to the head

"When I take action I'm not going to fire a $2 million missile at a $10 empty tent and hit a camel in the butt."--

President of the United States,

George W. Bush.
  • Options
    Judge DreadJudge Dread Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the "dung" hits the fan you need a GAS mask not a GUN....

JD

1 megagogol contingent of pungent fly's cant be wrong ,eat dung!!!
  • Options
    thunderboltthunderbolt Member Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The one you actually bought, practiced with and own when the trouble hits. Not the one you were going to buy next week.
  • Options
    218Beekeep218Beekeep Member Posts: 3,033
    edited November -1
    Running out of ammo
    would really suck,
    therefore:

10/22 rifle,and a small
    duffle bag,containing:

6 bricks of .22LR ammo,
    several extra mags,and
    a can of Gun Scrubber.

• Options
    thesoundguy1thesoundguy1 Member Posts: 680
    edited November -1
    After selecting a rifle/pistol combination, the next best thing would be to network with like minded people in your area.Plan ahead.
    When the $#!+ goes down,we all meet "here"(a pre-planned destination),
    then formulate part two of your survival plan. Remember, power in numbers!

www.waveformwear.com
    The new wave in free expression.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,261 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bee, you are a man after my own heart. A Ruger 10/22 and many bricks. One brick, 500 shots, man that is a lot of ammo. The little nipper won't knock 'em down, but it will kill them.
  • Options
    218Beekeep218Beekeep Member Posts: 3,033
    edited November -1
    Allen,it`d be worse
    than a swarm of bees

p.s.And for the big sidearm:
    Any nice little 32-20 DA revolver.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    A friend of mine has an old (sixties vintage I think) Armalite .22 survival rifle. The one that breaks down with the barrel and receiver stowing away in the waterproof stock. It floats and I think it might even have some fishing gear stashed inside the stock. That might be a pretty cool weapon to get ahold of for SHTF day.

Does somebody still manufacture a similar rifle?

• Options
    thesoundguy1thesoundguy1 Member Posts: 680
    edited November -1
    Yeah Lowrider, I was askin' about the Henry Survival Rifle (similar concept) on another thread,and the concensus is the Henry is crap,
    but what is that AR-7 gonna run($$$)?

www.waveformwear.com
    The new wave in free expression.
  • Options
    DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    An early Costa Mesa Armalite AR-7 variant was made for the IDF as an aircrew survival rifle. Had a cool folding stock, ported barrel, hooded 98K-type front sight and grip storage. I've seen them going for over $200 now.

Often the mind believes it is thinking, when it is only passing from one metaphor to the next.