In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Timney triggers

will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
edited October 2001 in General Discussion
I just had my gunsmith install a Timney trigger into my Savage 111 in .30-06. Total cost, including the trigger and the smithing, was $140.00.

The original wasn't TOO bad, 4.5 pounds, but was just a bit stiff for me--just didn't feel "crisp". I got my deer this year with the rifle, and I like the way the gun shoots, but thought an upgrade would help my accuracy.

Did it ever! My smith set the pull at 2 pounds, 8 ounces, and my groups have really tightened up--I'm cloverleafing at 100 yards. There is a crisp release, no creep or travel, and it just feels SWEET.

Now I'm considering upgrading the trigger on my Grandfather's old Remington 760. I hear the Timney 870 spring kit will work in the model 760, since they are both pumps.

Does anyone have experience with this, or any advice? If that works I'm considering the Timney drop in trigger kit for my AR.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I have a few Timney triggers in AR-15's
    I also picked one up for ruger 10-22 it started having problems ( I bought it used so not sure of its history )
    I called and sent the trigger back in and explained my issue and I that bought it used . let me know the repair cost .
    with in five business days I received back my trigger with a new disconnect , release reset and ready to go. no charge [;)]
    great service and company just a shout out thank you [:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Are these any good or should I save up and get jewell?
    If you run, you'll just die tired! will270win@aol.com ~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Are they worth they money or is there something better looking for. Model 70
  • Options
    32wsl32wsl Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can't comment on the Jewell product, but my Timney (w/safty) is nail driver crisp and sure.
  • Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    I built two rifles (a .458 Win mag. and a 7mm Mag.) on Mauser 98 actions. I used the timney triggers on both. The .458 was a little difficult to adjust, but once I got it there, it was great. The adjustment problem may have been me, because the one on the 7 mag was quick and easy.
    Save, research, then buy the best.Join the NRA, NOW!Teach them young, teach them safe, teach them forever, but most of all, teach them to VOTE!
  • Options
    luger01luger01 Member Posts: 230 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Will,What are you going to do with the rifle? Is it a hunting gun?, a plinker?, a competition target rifle??? What rifle do you want to replace the trigger on???I'd invest in the Jewell trigger for the latter, but for any thing else, Timney, Dayton-Traistor or other big name aftermarket trigger is plenty good. You can get a crisp adjustable pull down to 2-3# with these triggers, for under $50. Only if you are A) a fanatic, or B) heavily into competition (like bench rest or high power) and are a great shot, is a hand-tuned expensive trigger like the Jewell worthwhile (IMHO).I've tuned lots of rifles and handguns, and sometimes used aftermarket trigger groups. Most people can make use of a better than factory trigger, but very few need (or can make use of) more then the drop in triggers I've mentioned above.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It's a Remington PSS in 300WM. I'm just an accuracy freak and like to get those .4 inch groups or better.
    If you run, you'll just die tired! will270win@aol.com ~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • Options
    luger01luger01 Member Posts: 230 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Will,Maybe you can make use of the Jewell! You sure have an excellent rifle that should have a 0.4" accuracy potential (boy, that is a challenge, but a fun one).If you plan to mostly shoot from the bench, you could easily go with one of the really light triggers (12-18 oz. pulls). For bench rest type shooting, I don't like under 1#, but some do. I've tuned a Remington 700 in .223 with the factory trigger to great success. Probably would have been easier to drop in a really good trigger, but I got it down to 1.5# with just a hair of overtravel. Never was satisfied with the accuracy (0.8" at 100 yards) so I sold it. It had the laminated stock which I bedded, and I scoped it with a Burris 6-24x scope. Kept the Rem. heavy barrel and maybe should have cryo-ed it.Sounds like you are thinking either about the Timney Featherweight or Jewell triggers. If it were me, and I had the money, I'd buy the Jewell.Hope you find the magic formula for your rifle. Have fun!