In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

I saw this and thought it was humorous; Recoil, where?

robsgunsrobsguns Member Posts: 4,581 ✭✭
edited February 2002 in General Discussion
New Member From: houston, TX USA posted 01-28-2002 11:33 I have a Raging Bull .454 Casull, Stainless Steel, 8" bbl, like new in box with manuals, holster, and one box of ammo. $700 for all. New MemberFrom: houston, TX USA posted 02-10-2002 00:51 I fired one round through it this weekend and it kicks even more than I thought it would. Reason I thought it was funny is I keep hearing how shootable the Taurus version of this caliber is. Either its not, or this guy is a little frail. I'm thinking the latter.
SSgt Ryan E. Roberts, USMC

Comments

• will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    My Ruger kicked my * so I traded it to Gruntled. Good ridance!(SP)
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, take it to a mechanic. will270win@aol.com ~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • robsgunsrobsguns Member Posts: 4,581 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oh come on Chris, I love mine, still havent decided if I want to get it ported or not though. Pondering for a while on this one. Oh yeah, I found Hogue does make the grips for it I like so much on my Smith model 17 Masterpiece, I think I will be getting those for sure, just havent made up my mind yet.
    SSgt Ryan E. Roberts, USMC
  • will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    It's the same grips as the GP 100. Don't let anyone tell ya different.
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, take it to a mechanic. will270win@aol.com ~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • lrarmsxlrarmsx Member Posts: 791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot 3" Smith and Wesson and Ruger .44 Mags and a 7.5" .454 Freedom Arms. Admittedly the recoil is substantial, but that's why I like them. If I don't want recoil, I shoot the lessor stuff (.45acp, .357mag, .40S&W, and other wimpy calibers,LOL). Sometimes you just want to know you're putting out some power. PS. After 3 boxes I do have difficulty writing my name or typing for a few days, but thats the way it goes.
  • agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    Hey Ryan, are you set up for reloading? I might have some 370 grain LBT bullets in 452 caliber laying around here that you could use. Put some of them through you 454 under 28 grains of H110 and you will make it into a real hunting handgun. Also I believe I have some of the 260 grain LBT that I could part with.
    AlleninAlaska
  • robsgunsrobsguns Member Posts: 4,581 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Allen, Yes I am, but I havent done any for the 454 yet, I've been pondering what to do about it. I have the brass, and some light bullets for reloading 45 Colt. I have the brass for the 454 also, but havent bought bullets yet. I was intending to buy some of the 340 gr. Bear Tooth Bullets, but the backorder time is 6 months. I'm stuck as to what to do, with a quality source of reloading info. for the caliber seeming to be rather scarce. There are a lot of bullets out there, in a lot of shapes and weights, but the load data doesnt seem to be as proliferate. So I sit here......thinking. The bullets I have are Cast Performance Company 265 gr. .452, WFNGC. Those are more suitable for the 45 Colt, what do you think about that in the 454, as well as the same bullet but in 335, 360, and 370, grains, made by the same company? I've got some interest in these, but they use W296 in their loads, and I like H110 for my large handguns. Again, not much reloading info. around. Maybe I havent looked hard enough?
    SSgt Ryan E. Roberts, USMC[This message has been edited by robsguns (edited 02-12-2002).]
  • agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    Ryan, the LBT bullets that I have were made by Marshall at Beartooth Bullets. I have been using his bullets since about 1991 when I and a friend had him make some 335 grain 416 Bullets that we wanted for a 416/350 Rem Mag wildcat that I had created. If you look in the Wildcat section of Marshall's forums and then look for the thread on powders for the 416 Express, you will get a little bit of info about the 416/350 and who tried to make it his cartridge design.If interested in the 370 LBT WLN GC, let me know. This is a doubl crimp grove for the Colt and 454. L alway seated it in the rear grove so I could stuff a few more grains of powder in the colt case for some higher velocities. I have put this bullet in Federal Colt cases, which I consider the best, over 27 grains of H110. This should only be done in a 454 Casull chamber and none other unless you have one of the five shooters. One side note about Beartooth Bullets, they are very hard cast just like the Cast Performance bullets, made from the same moulds, and can be shot at rifle velocities of 2500-2600 FPS without leading. I have several hundred of them in various rifle calibers from 358 210 grain for my 35 Whelen to 510 caliber in 475 grain for my 500 AHR.
    AlleninAlaska[This message has been edited by aglore (edited 02-12-2002).]