In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

NICKEL PLATING

quamnetquamnet Member Posts: 332 ✭✭
edited March 2002 in General Discussion
i want to get my citori nickeled, who would you suggest that i send it to?

Comments

• Options
    quamnetquamnet Member Posts: 332 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have decided to purchase a Remington 7400 Synthetic Carbine. I also was thinking about getting the exterior Nickel Plated. The gunsmith however didn't seem to think the idea was so great. He said that my gun basically wouldn't function as well as without the exterior plating. Is this true? Is there any negative effects of nickel plating? Are there any positive effects? Or is it just for looks? Thanks again.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Positives: Corrosion resistanceNegatives: Cost, glare interferes with sighting, shiny guns * game.
  • Options
    sandman2234sandman2234 Member Posts: 894 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    And usually devalues the gun.
    Have Gun, will travel
  • Options
    OtomanOtoman Member Posts: 554
    edited November -1
    I am not totally sure about the amount but plating adds about 1-3 mills of thickness to the dimensions of whatever is plated. I would not think that would be good for the bore of the rifle. Unless they have a way to prevent it from building up on the bore.
  • Options
    michael minarikmichael minarik Member Posts: 478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A number of years ago Armaloy( in Texas) was done to a rifle in a 30 caliber. Armaloy is a chrome plating process which is pert-near industructible and done for industrial applications...molds, etc. The rifle's barrel interior was also Armaloyed. It actually increase velocity because it cut bullet-barrel friction. If you read the brochure for Armalite you will read "chrome lined" ...can't imagine certain processes being a 'detractor' in value to an 'informed' shooter![This message has been edited by michael minarik (edited 03-24-2002).]
  • Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Nickel is not plated directly to the steel. First, a thin plating of copper is plated onto the gun, then the nickel goes over the copper. This builds up an insulating layer that reduces the barrels ability to cool down. Though it is very miniscule, in would affect a semi-auto or full-auto weapon if it were rapid fired. Wild pig hunters who fire 3 to five shots in a few minutes swear that the accuracy of the gun from shot 1 to shot 5 is greatly affected. I have never tested the therory, because I don't rapid fire when I hunt. Evedently, that is why the military never nickeled their semi's for corrosion resistance. PS, I would not want to hunt with a shiney nickel gun.
    Save, research, then buy the best.Join the NRA, NOW!Teach them young, teach them safe, teach them forever, but most of all, teach them to VOTE![This message has been edited by dheffley (edited 03-24-2002).]
  • Options
    offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    As for the bore, usually anything about to be plated can be masked, if you prefer, and remain unplated. It should be your call.
    "The 2nd Amendment is about defense, not hunting. Long live the gun shows, and reasonable access to FFLs. Join the NRA -- I'm a Life Member."
  • Options
    agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    Electroless-nickel plating is no shinier than some of the factory Stainless Steel guns on the market. Had a Rem. 700 in 280 Rem done with it in 1984, no problems.
    AlleninAlaska