In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I propose a new bill to law.

daddodaddo Member Posts: 3,408
edited April 2002 in General Discussion
We have a bill to tax bullets to pay for costs of treating gunshot victims. The criminal doesn't pay, but the tax payer pays.
We have crimes commited that cost the taxpayer millions, if not billions in tax money.
Where is this going to stop. What ever happened to being responsible for what you do?
I say- If a criminal causes harm, death, property damage, ect. to a victim, then he must flip the tab. If he must work the rest of his life- he must pay the debt instead of the insurance or taxpayer.
Senerio;- A criminal breaks down your front door and steals your TV, guns, ect. in value of $2,000.00. "He/she" must pay for the loss! He/she must work and send your insurance co. or you a check every month until it is paid for. This may be retroactive after release from jail/prison. If payment is not made- they go back to jail for at least a year. When they get out- this starts over again. This would save the taxpayers millions. What criminal wouldn't think twice before he/she dedicates his/her debts and works (must work) to pay for his/her crimes- to them it would be HELL! I know there is a lot of flaws in this original plan, but it could provisionally work.

Comments

• Options
    OLD SF-EROLD SF-ER Member Posts: 57 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think that's a great idea !

A few years back a judge in Memphis did something similar.

A crook was convicted of stealing a TV from a person, and the judge allowed the victim to go to the crooks home and take anything he wanted - and the crook had to let him do it! That worked out, in that case; in most cases the crack head crooks wouldn't have anything of value because they sold it all to buy drugs!

Your idea is a good one; contact your congressman and tell them about it.

Good luck !

"If you can do it, it ain't braggin'".
    JR Ewing - "Dallas"
  • Options
    FitzFitz Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Daddo,
    Excuse me while I vent.
    I agree with you in theory. I just instinctively cringe at the idea of any new laws. Let's face it, the US Constitution is done. Some States out West might be able to hold out for three generations, max, but any proposal for a new law is just pouring gas on a fire. That's what got us into this mess... everybody sticking their fingers in other peoples' pies. We should be campaigning for less laws and enforcement of existing laws, but I fear it's fruitless. The Department of Education has seen to it that subsequent generations are humanists who espouse one world government and slavery to political fads like global warming and gun control. Most of the Constitution is all but ignored. It's only discussed when it comes to issues like racial profiling and the Fifth Amendment. A simple appreciation of the 10th Amendment and the principle of juries nullifying unconstitutional laws would be enough to solve all of our problems, but it's never going to happen. That would require at least 80% of the federal government being eliminated, and our neighbors are too stupid to understand. The rest of them either are, or will have someone in their family, working for the government. You'd be better off being at home when the armed * comes in and doing away with him then and there.

Fitz
  • Options
    mcneely77mcneely77 Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I absolutely love it. In our county, the criminals have to pay a predetermined amount per day for room and board at the county jail. Why not take it a step further and incorporate your idea into law.

IALEFI, ASLET, NRA and all around good guy.
  • Options
    agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    The law already exsist, only problem is getting the judges to use it. So, why not make any judge that refuses to make a criminal pay restitution pay it for him.

AlleninAlaska aglore@gci.net

How would you rather die, 10,000 foot pounds of muzzle energy in the BUTT or a sharp knife in the HEART?