In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

anouther question

hk-91hk-91 Member Posts: 10,050
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
This is in referense to my question about starting load for my 300 win mag. I was showen what hornady had for load data and the max they had was under what the min of all the other had. All my other ref including the powder company all state 72 gr for a min and between 75 and 76 for a max but hornady has 64.5 as min and 71.9 for max. anyone else run across this reloading. here is a link to my other question for ref
http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=376367

Comments

• hk-91hk-91 Member Posts: 10,050
    edited November -1
    wow 40 view and no one has noticed this. I'm just wondering if hornady manuel always runs on the short side for load data.
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 48,464 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check dates in your manuals the newer ones wil have the lower Max. Most of the time.
    edited November -1
    my manual doesnt show a load for this. I checked the powder man site and a few other site. I was contacted by a board member with the hornady info and just want to know what one is safe. I'm thinking majority here.
  • agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    One thing to remember about the commercial reloading manuals. They use pressure equipment on thier barrels. Their barrels may have a tight chamber or have been shot 1,000's of times. Their barrels could have short throats or long throats. No 2 barrels from different commercial reloading manuals are the same. One could be a fast barrel and one could be a slow barrel. They are all just recipes and a starting point, not definitive. Then you have to throw in the legal bean counters.
    edited November -1
    ya but this is quit a differnce. Hornadys max load is smaller then all the others starting load. I always hear that under loading a round can be just as bad as over loading a round.
  • Survivalist86Survivalist86 Member Posts: 3,105
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hk-91
    ya but this is quit a differnce. Hornadys max load is smaller then all the others starting load. I always hear that under loading a round can be just as bad as over loading a round.

That info I provided is out of Hornady's 4th edition. Additional photos. They used a Win Model 70.

011.jpg
    010-1.jpg
    009-1.jpg
    edited November -1
    This doing you any good? I can call a buddy of mine in Nebraska...
    edited November -1
    Hell i dont know what to do. I just dont understand how one book can show a max load that is lower then anouthers min load. Isnt it just as bad to underload a round then to over load one.
    edited November -1
    man i just called a buddy and had him check his sirra ( spelling) manual and speer and they both came up with what i came up with. I game him the info you gave me and he said him manual shows those loads for a lot heaver bullet. Like around the 230 gr range. I'm loading for 168 gr.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hk-91
    man i just called a buddy and had him check his sirra ( spelling) manual and speer and they both came up with what i came up with. I game him the info you gave me and he said him manual shows those loads for a lot heaver bullet. Like around the 230 gr range. I'm loading for 168 gr.

I backed the camera up to show you I am not Full-o-chit, at least on this one. I am concerned about this, as I have been loading out of this manual, and even though I do not load this round yet, I do load lots of other rounds with the info in here.

019.jpg
    edited November -1
    Anyone else have a book they can post data from.
    edited November -1
    I am searching for some data...bear with me.
    edited November -1
    Brother, the data I am finding on this is all over the place. I am not gonna offer any advice, other then I have used the data from this manual for years and have had no problems. However I do not load the 300 WM.
    edited November -1
    most of what i found were all close to the same exept from hornady they were lower. I did find alot of people stating that hornady has all there load set low. One guy said his 223 wouldnt cycle after loading just short of max load on them. I dont know what to think about this but i'm going with majority here. hornady is the only odball i found..thanks for trying though.
    edited November -1
    Mine does not show a 168 gr. only shows 165 gr. Mine is a 3rd Edition.
    edited November -1
    Nosler number 2 manual

Only showes IMR 4831 with a Max of 72 most accurate of 70 gr.

If right H4831 and IMR4831 are different.
    edited November -1
    No other Manual shows 168 Gr.

Sorry
    edited November -1
    IMR4831 and H4831 are very similar in burning rate with IMR 4831 being just a wee bit faster. Usually by a grain or grain and a half less of IMR4831 equalling that of H4831.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by aglore
    IMR4831 and H4831 are very similar in burning rate with IMR 4831 being just a wee bit faster. Usually by a grain or grain and a half less of IMR4831 equalling that of H4831.

If it were me...I would go with the data from Hornady. I am not saying they are the end all of experts, but they are a darn decent company. I do not think they would put out data that would jeapordize your safety or your firearm.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dnelson457
    Mine does not show a 168 gr. only shows 165 gr. Mine is a 3rd Edition.

mine shows the same amount for the 167 as it does for the 165
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Survivalist86
    quote:Originally posted by aglore

If it were me...I would go with the data from Hornady. I am not saying they are the end all of experts, but they are a darn decent company. I do not think they would put out data that would jeapordize your safety or your firearm.

Ya but i dont think speer, hodgdon, sierra, would either. I checked all three of them and they all state the same with in .5 gr for min and max load. the only one that conflicked the others was hornady. Kinda scary if you ask me. Hornady is way different then the rest.
    edited November -1
    Fron Hogdon site
    IMR 4831 70 Start 75.5C Max(Not sure what the C meant)
    H4831 72 Start 75.5 (No C on this one)
    edited November -1
    anyway i'm starting with 72gr so i should be ok. Its the min load for most of what i found and only .1 over the max of what you found.
    edited November -1
    Your rifle may not like any of the data available. Your rifle might start showing signs of high pressure with a minnimum load. You will never know until you try out some load. Under charging with a very slow burning powder like H4831 is not as serious as underloading with a very fast powder like Blue Dot or some other very fast powder. All experienced reloaders will tell you to back off 10% on load data. Well 10% of 72 grains is 7.2 grains and that is right in the Hornady specified load data. As I stated before, they are just recipes, as the cook you have to make them work to your taste.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dnelson457
    Fron Hogdon site
    IMR 4831 70 Start 75.5C Max(Not sure what the C meant)
    H4831 72 Start 75.5 (No C on this one)

The C means compressed.