In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Wish I could buy a house!

WagionWagion Member Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I pay close to $16,000 a years in rent that is CRAZY!!!! Well that is with the help of two roomates so my share is like $5300 but still imagine if I could pay off that much a year on a house??????hmmmm
but who can afford to buy property in Alaska???????>/./.,/.,/.,/.,/[xx(]

If force ain't work'n... Your not use'n nough of it.
I know the spelling is bad but guess what I DON'T CARE

Comments

• bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Wagion

but who can afford to buy property in Alaska???????>/./.,/.,/.,/.,/[xx(]

Fisherman?

Hey, save your money up there then move south. We only pay your portion for our entire house. It's nothin' fancy but it's nice inside and we have 3+ acres within city limits AND we have a well to stay off that nasty city water...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • familyguyfamilyguy Member Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Property is expensive their?! Geez louise, they have more than most of the continental US put together!!!

Got a new gun for my ex-wife.....pretty good trade, huh?
  • RosieRosie Member Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you spent as much time working as you do on the computer you would be very rich.[:)]
  • bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I, too, wish you could buy a house.
    Then perhaps someone else could post on page one.
    [8D][8D]barto

Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names.-JFK
  • SkyWatcherSkyWatcher Member Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you're paying around $450 a month in rent, then you could quality for around 55-60K for a home loan. Don't know what that will buy up there, but it'll by a clean little starter home here in Missouri.

Also, you could take out a construction loan (rolled to a Mortgage upon completion) and build your own small home if you think you could keep your costs down that way - and you can, with careful planning and a little help.

You would also be surprised how possible it is to build affordably, assuming you aren't going for a fancy house with all the frills and are willing to compromise and/or consider alternatives.

To whom much is given, much is expected.
  • chuckchuck Member Posts: 4,911
    edited November -1
    Hey, Rosie sounds like you are looking fer a Fight this morning.
  • Smokeeater 38Smokeeater 38 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SkyWatcher
    If you're paying around $450 a month in rent, then you could quality for around 55-60K for a home loan. Don't know what that will buy up there, but it'll by a clean little starter home here in Missouri.

Up there it might get him a 5' X 5' house. Prices are out of sight. One of my buddies has a brother up the in Juno his house is 800 SF on a lot just big enough for the house and was $190,000. He sent me a pic of it it's small.

Get the job done and come home safe guys.

I rush in where others flee.
  • WagionWagion Member Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rosie I am at work on the computer [:p]
    No i am not slacking off but I have a hurry up and wait, wait, wait, wait job

• WagionWagion Member Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    60,000 up here would not even buy a 1/3 acre LOT!
    And beleive me simple is my middle name K.I.S.S. is what i live by
    A nice clean little starter house around here 150,000 which would most likly be half of a duplex on a zero lot

• nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,063 ******
    edited November -1
    I wish I had NEVER bought a house, and put my down payments into mutual funds. I have never made a dime on any of the four homes I have "owned," and usually had to take a whipping on it to get rid of it. Not to mention the maintenance while I did own it.

If I ever get out of this one, I will never own another.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com the best gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net
  • chollagardenschollagardens Member Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have you ever considered a lease option? You would have to crunch a bunch of numbers to see if it is feasible in your area. First thing you need to know is how many roommates you can legally have. Second is what the market value rent for a roommate(s) is. If you can rent out all but one bedroom and make the payments, insurance, tax and maintenance then start looking for someone willing to lease option. The upside is if the property increases in value then you gain equity. The downside is if roommates damage the property or you have a vacanty you pay.
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nunn
    I wish I had NEVER bought a house, and put my down payments into mutual funds. I have never made a dime on any of the four homes I have "owned," and usually had to take a whipping on it to get rid of it. Not to mention the maintenance while I did own it.

If I ever get out of this one, I will never own another.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com the best gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net

Maybe it's a different perspective. I lived in rentals for 20yrs. I'll never rent again ever. The extra work is worth it in privacy alone. Not to mention being able to do pretty much what you want because it's yours. The mortgage on my 4 bedroom fixer upper is about the same as rent on a 1 bedroom apt here. On top of that I have a barn for a garage that could hold 4 cars easy. And a 60'x100' garden that provides alot of food that I would have to buy otherwise. Even with all the complaining I do about my taxes going up, it's only ammounted to about $50.00 a month in the past 5 years. My buddies rent has gone up $125.00 a month in the same ammount of time. When I bought this place his rent was lower than my mortgage, now it's the other way around.

Woods

Hamlin.gif
  • agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    quote:but who can afford to buy property in Alaska???????>/./.,/.,/.,/.,/

I own a couple of pieces of property. Your problem is that you are in a tourist trap down there in SE Alaska. Plus you have the capital there and the Legislature every year. You need to move to a different part of Alaska. Another option is to look at a live aboard boat.

AlleninAlaska
    Delta Firearms & Supplies
    http://canadianfirearmsexchange.com

aglore@gci.net