In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Highland cattle

roysharoysha Member Posts: 749 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Any of you stockmen have any real hands on experience with this breed. I have heard all the stories, rumors and BS from people that heard from, or knew someone, or, etc; I would like real information from people that have had real experience with these animals. Obviously all the web sites for the breed are very pro Highland. There has to be some negatives that I'm not hearing about. I know that generally they bring a lower price at the sale barn, but does the supposed easier keeping make up a bit of the difference. How about general temperment, calving ease, handling,? I've raised Polled Herefords for 25 years and am looking for a smaller animal for my own and my familys personal use. Black anything IS OUT!!! I don't want to here a thing about anything black even though I know there is a line of black Highlands.

BEER IS PROOF THAT GOD LOVES US AND WANTS US TO BE HAPPY!

Comments

• woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not a stockman, but, I am aquainted with the former president of the breed association. They are very hardy and need little upkeep. Because of this people tend to just let them go, in this case they get a bit wild. If you spend time around them and handle them they can be very gentle. Very few calving problems.

I do know that when mad cow broke out in the UK a couple of his were destroyed. They had been here less than 60 days or something like that. As for the prices, I don't think the majority of people that raise them give them any or much grain. As a result they probably have a reputation for being too lean. I've had a few steaks and they were very lean but not tough. There is also alot of predjudice amonst cattle buyers when it comes to breeds.

If you live on a main road expect alot of traffic. People around here go out of thier way to see the "Buffalo Cows".

Woods

Hamlin.gif
  • agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    There is a lady upriver(137 miles) from me that owns a couple of these. She bought them because they are bred for the conditions that exist in the village she lives in. They eat anything and produce more milk than she can utilize.

AlleninAlaska
    Delta Firearms & Supplies
    http://canadianfirearmsexchange.com

aglore@gci.net