In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Big Bear

earthmvrearthmvr Member Posts: 473 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion

Comments

• earthmvrearthmvr Member Posts: 473 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm sure a lot of you have already seen these pics, but thought I would post for those of you who havn't. Plus a lot of false stories going around associated with these pics, so I included the real story.

bear2.bmpbear.bmp

The bear pictured above was killed in November 2001 by a hunter who came across it while he was deer-hunting in Alaska. As he described the event on the message board at HuntingNet.com:

My partner and I ran into the unexpected . . . "BIG * URSUS"! The bear was shot 10 yards away (no zeros missing in that figure my friends) in the head with a .338 Remington Winnie, using 250 grain Nosler handloads, followed up with two shots to the vitals. A very quick clean death.

We were working up a creek, headed for the mountains to hunt blacktail. He was coming down the creek, hunting for the last of the spawning Coho in the creek. We initially spotted him from 40 yds off. As a matter of fact we were glassing the bear over the high brush just behind the bear when we spotted him.

4dff19a9.gifc716f163.gif72d96bc6.jpg
    Proud member of the NRA and Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    earthmvr- No offence

quote:My partner and I ran into the unexpected . . . "BIG * URSUS"! The bear was shot 10 yards away (no zeros missing in that figure my friends) in the head with a .338 Remington Winnie, using 250 grain Nosler handloads, followed up with two shots to the vitals. A very quick clean death.

Last time it was 10 5 shots with a 7MM [?]

gun.gif
    "Those who live by the sword get shot
    by those who don't." [:D]
    [img][/img]Santa_Cruz.gif
  • agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    Sorry but the bear was not 12'6". And I thought this was the real story. Well the bear was 10'6', weighed approximately 1000 pounds, the guy was intentionally looking for a bear, he was an Air force member and not a Forest service person. It was shot with a 338 Winchester and was not a new world record as it only placed 150th in the record books.

AlleninAlaska
    Delta Firearms & Supplies
    http://canadianfirearmsexchange.com

aglore@gci.net
  • earthmvrearthmvr Member Posts: 473 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    aglore, my bad, I missed on the height and weight. But the rest of the story is how the hunter told it. So it is the real story. Whether or not it is true...And I never said anything about him being a forest service person or the bear being a world record.

4dff19a9.gifc716f163.gif72d96bc6.jpg
    Proud member of the NRA and Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was
  • agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    Here is a link to the story of this bear as written by the hunters partner. This was the article that was sent to Big Game Adventures.

http://www.angelfire.com/ak5/jlu3947/hinchbear.html

AlleninAlaska
    Delta Firearms & Supplies
    http://canadianfirearmsexchange.com

aglore@gci.net