In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Deer hunting with the 6mm Remington?

Mr.PissyPantsMr.PissyPants Member Posts: 3,575
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
My mission is to find a hunting rifle in a WA state legal caliber (.24 minimum) with the smallest possible recoil. This rifle will be for my girlfriend who is as tough as nails, but just doesn't like recoil. So here is my question:

Is the 6mm a better deer hunting cartridge then the .243?

f9ef9b6e.jpg

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
-Benjamin Franklin

Comments

• select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ballistically they are so close a magician would have to figure it out. I owned a 6mm varmit 700 Remington years ago . Shot a lot of groundhogs with it.
  • ClairClair Member Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a 6mm years ago, Rem 788, killed a few deer with it. No problem.

<P> To each his own
    Craig Brosius
  • paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    The 243 is a very popular deer caliber here in Pa! As said above basically little difference between the 6mm and the 243!

pa.gif

Rixford.gif

LIFES MOSTLY SCARS AND SOUVENIR'S - Max Stalling

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
    This was the Ancient law of Youth
    Old times are past, old times are done:
    But the Law runs true, O little son!
  • gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    I like them both, they are about equal. If recoil is too much with ither one you could add a compenstor to the end of the barrel or buy one that has one already. I had a girl friend who could shoot the 243 all day long but did not like the .308. I purchased a .308 with a muzzel break/compensator and she said it was just like her 243. My 2 cents [8D]

Greg
    Former
    USMC
    ANGLICO
  • temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Either one is fine for deer if you do your part. With varmit weight bullets the 243 is just as fast and maybe on average even a little more accurate but with hunting weight bullets the 6mm can be loaded to considerably higher velocities. If your buying factory ammo you'll never see the difference,but if you handload I'll take the 6mm over the 243. If primary use is more for varmits I'd go with the 243 if I got it for a better price.The barnes xlc 95 gr.bullet will out penetrate any other .24 bullet I've ever seen in something that weight on deer size game. The heavier barnes are even better but start to lose some velocity and recoil a little more.-- If you buy a 6mm, make sure if it is an older gun the barrel is marked 6mm and not 244 remington. The 244 marked guns had the wrong twist(1-12") and most would not stabilize anything heavier than 90 gr. bullets and were not as accurate as the 243 with those barrels. That how the 243 got so popular in the beginning as a deer round vs the 6mm.-- When they changed the name to 6mm they changed the twist but by then it was to late to catch up to the popularity on the 243..........[8D]
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most of my info shows the 6mm about 100 fps faster than the .243. Us humans might care about that, but the deer will not. I am hoping to get a 6mm in the future, I'm thinking of using a .264 mag case and neck it down to 6mm. [:p]

You won't have any trouble taking a deer with it as long as you keep it within reason.

The 10mm - either you've got it, or you don't get it...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • TazmuttTazmutt Member Posts: 862 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The big difference betwix the two is, the 6mm is metric, the .243 is decimal. So a 100gr boolet at 3000fps from a .243 is traveling at ONLY 914.5mps ... big diff in the numbers ! [:p][:D]

"A Fear of Weapons is a sign of Retarded Sexual
    and Emotional Maturity" Sigmund Freud
    "MOLON LABE !"
  • Chevyman TxChevyman Tx Member Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My mom shoots a remington model 742 6mm. She has had much better succcess with it than she ever did with the 243. The 243 would never leave a blood trail and she lost lots of deer. Now she doesnt loose any. I bought my wife one this past year and she loves it. She hasnt killed any deer with it yet. I liked it so much that i bought another one just a couple of months ago and i am gonna rig it up for next year. I think Kingjoey is big on 6mm if i remember correctly.

"Keep turnin to the RIGHT"
  • groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
    edited November -1
    chevyman, Yea you're right! KJ is a big 6mm fan! Biggest reason he's such a fan is he's never had a 25-06!!! [:D][:)][:D] I couldn't help it! I just got a 6mm VLS a couple weeks ago if that makes KJ feel any better! GHD
  • 270 Deer Slayer270 Deer Slayer Member Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    6mm is fine for deer, its just like the .243 which is perfect for deer also. I shot my first 2 deer with a .243! Great Caliber!

"A blood trail is life" (Ted Nugent) crosshair.gif
  • pack rat633pack rat633 Member Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One of my sons uses a 6mm mdl 788 for deer, and is succesful from 100 to 400 yards. It is really a little better than .243, but only if you reload.

SEMPER FI MAC, SEMPER FI
  • kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    6mm loads are only a little hotter the 243 loads from the factory, but with handloads they outperform the 243 in power/velocity and the accuracy will send them worthless 25.06 SOB's running back to the hills[;)] In case you didn't catch that, I'm talking to you GHD[:D]

orst-title-1.gif

SUPPORT THE I.N.S. , THE COUNTRY THEY SAVE COULD BE YOUR OWN
  • kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    PS: It'd probably be a good deer load for the lady. The recoil isn't bad with factory ammo, some of the handloads get a little stiff, but even those aren't bad.

orst-title-1.gif

SUPPORT THE I.N.S. , THE COUNTRY THEY SAVE COULD BE YOUR OWN
  • plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    Unless you are going to reload, buy and use the .243 If you are going to reload, 6mm is great.

Remember it is the size of lead or how fast it goes that kills, it is where the lead lands. Biggest Mule Deer Buck I ever bagged was with a .243 two shots: first through the heart second broke the spine.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I
    advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives
    boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Games played with the
    ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no
    character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of
    your walks." Thomas Jefferson
  • deerhntrdeerhntr Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I Killed a few Deer with a 6mm Heavy barrel "Varmint" rig at 200 yards plus on field edges (head/neck shots), I would not take that caliber in the woods though.

use_deer.jpg
  • agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    Too be honest, forget about either of those 2 and go with the 260 Remington or the 7mm-08. I started my daughter with the 7mm-08 when she was 10 years old. The 260 Remington and the 7mm-08 bullets that are suitable for deer will have higher sectional density than the 6mm bullets.

AlleninAlaska
    Delta Firearms & Supplies
    http://canadianfirearmsexchange.com

aglore@gci.net
  • cletus85cletus85 Member Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Too be honest, forget about either of those 2 and go with the 260 Remington or the 7mm-08. I started my daughter with the 7mm-08 when she was 10 years old. The 260 Remington and the 7mm-08 bullets that are suitable for deer will have higher sectional density than the 6mm bullets.

Now, this Is DANG GOOD advice!!! Far superior to any .243/6mm, I'd probably lean toward the .260, but I have a 7mm/08 in the case[:D][:D][:D]
  • groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
    edited November -1
    I'll have to agree with aglore on the .260! My daughter (14) shoots a .260 and it's not overpowering for a small person and also has more power when the bullet gets there! GHD
  • BoltactionManBoltactionMan Member Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you get the 243 or 6mm give the Speer 105 gr round nose a try for reloads. We have used them for years and they just plain work.

The 260 we have, I don't have as much experience with yet, but it should work well based upon the heavier bullet.

The 7mm-08 is a better thing yet, even more bullet weight, bigger selection of weights. You may have to handload here to lighten them up a bit for your girlfriends comfort. It is not an overpowering round, but using heavier bullets, it will have more noticeable recoil. It is my current favorite for deer.

My 2 pennies,
    KC
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by aglore
    Too be honest, forget about either of those 2 and go with the 260 Remington or the 7mm-08.
    FOr my next rifle, I want to get a short action deer gun. I heard many good things about the 7mm-08, havent heard much on the 260 remington.
    Which would be a better choice for someone who does not reload?

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    Salzo the 7mm-08 will have more factory loads available. The 260 only has 3 loads that I know of and 2 of them will suffice for deer. The 125 grain Nosler Partition load and the 140 grain Remington Core-Lokt load.

AlleninAlaska
    Delta Firearms & Supplies
    http://canadianfirearmsexchange.com

aglore@gci.net