In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

WORKING WEEKENDS?

gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Does anyone know if there is a labor law regarding overtime as to whether or not it is optional?

Comments

• nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,062 ******
    edited November -1
    Depends on how many hours you have in your pay period. Fair Labor Standards is not concerned with which days you work, but how many hours in a pay period.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com the best gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Cry union! that should work..

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • daddodaddo Member Posts: 3,408
    edited November -1
    I've heard that labor laws may be re-written. Usually any hours past 40 hours in a week is paid as 1.5 times and any hours past 80 hrs is double time.
    I worked for a rippoff company that would work you 50 hrs, then tell you to take 10 hrs off the next week. I told them that they owed me 15 hrs off since it was time and a half I'm losing. They stopped doing that when I told the others they were getting ripped and the others demanded the same thing. The company never argued the point and just started paying up. Fair is fair!
    I work 5 days a week, take needed calls on the 6th day and the 7th is my day off except emergencies involving health.
    I may be wrong but this is how it was when I worked for someone else.
  • agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    Any hours over 8 hours a day and any hours over 40 per week are paid at the overtime rate. This is federal law. States are allowed to have certain occupations exempt from overtime. By law there should be something in regards to overtime posted at your place of employment.

AlleninAlaska
    Delta Firearms & Supplies
    http://canadianfirearmsexchange.com

aglore@gci.net
  • daddodaddo Member Posts: 3,408
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by aglore
    By law there should be something in regards to overtime posted at your place of employment.

"In English"!
  • CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,596 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are Law Enforcement agencies exempt from work place rules? I took a full time job working ten hour shifts with a local law enforcement agency (working inside doing dispatch) and was told that I could not leave my console for a lunch break, had to eat right there at my work station. Is this legal? I explained to them that I needed to run home halfway into the shift to let my dog out to relieve himself. I only live 5 minutes from thr station, but they refused to allow me to leave.

Chris8161
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof!
  • agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    Chris8161 do you work 4 or 5 days a week? Are you paid for 10 hours a day or 9 hours a day? If you are only working 4 days a week then your employer has came to an agreement with the employees that they will work 4-10 hour days and not be paid at the overtime rate. You are working a position that does not allow for you too take a lunch break according to your terms of employment evidently. In some states if you were in that position and unionized you would also not be allowed to go on strike.

AlleninAlaska
    Delta Firearms & Supplies
    http://canadianfirearmsexchange.com

aglore@gci.net