In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Short magnums, which would you use & why, or not!

muleridermulerider Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
edited July 2005 in General Discussion
There all all these short magnums out there, for a short armed short person like myself, it is attractive to have a lighter short action rifle.....

If you were to go that route, which one of the short magnums would you go for?

What would you avoid, if you lready have 300 win mag, 30.06, 7mm-08.

This would be for north american game, not including self defense against grizzlies.

Hold forth at length with your learned opinions!!!

Don't pick on my mule, and we'll get along just fine!

Comments

• Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't have one, But I have shot that 7mm-08 through a rem 700 and its sweet! A buddy uses his from Varmint to Elk. Light recoil and hard hitting.

sniper.gif
    NRA Life Endowment Member

Soquel.gif
  • Options
    BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    I have a Browning A-bolt in 300wsm, and its enough to hunt most North American game, excluding grizzlies. They have the wsm in 7mm, 270, 300, and 325. The 300wsm is just about right for anything you'd want to hunt up here in NA. I do wish however that the 270wsm was avalible when I got mine.

Man's last hope... The Star Wars Kid.. Jedi Master!

axF69201.gif
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't have any.. No use for any
  • Options
    fugawefugawe Member Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My question is this. With this current flood of short, super short, kinda short and ultra short magnums, how do you pick the one or few that will still be commercially available in ten years? They can't all survive.

99% of all lawyers make the rest look bad.
  • Options
    BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fugawe
    My question is this. With this current flood of short, super short, kinda short and ultra short magnums, how do you pick the one or few that will still be commercially available in ten years? They can't all survive.

99% of all lawyers make the rest look bad.

We shall see![}:)]

Man's last hope... The Star Wars Kid.. Jedi Master!

axF69201.gif
  • Options
    hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Modern case design is leaning in the way of the short fat case pushing the small caliber round, so certainly some of these rounds are going to survive.

The effect of improvements on ballistic performance of these short magnum rounds is measureable. The fatter case is a better combustion chamber to start the process of pushing that light bullett quickly down the bore. These rounds are short without being small and take best advantage of modern powders.

I dont think the round's physical dimensions actually result in such great savings in receiver length, bolt stroke etc. to make that much difference, even to a person with short arms.
  • Options
    65gto38965gto389 Member Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the prospect of iron sights in case the scope were to fail, However if I had to choose a short magnum cartridge I would go with the .25WSSM. Its ballastics are identical to the .25-06 cartridge. The shorter case allows higher pressures to be achived to match the performance of its bigger brother.

Besides the .25WSSM will make short work of coyotes(sp?) of where I live.

For true all weather performace I would choose the synthetic stock.

" Those who give up a little freedom for temporary security, deserve neither freedom nor security "
    - Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I like the feature of not being belted, and the shorter distance to burn an equal amount of powder (when compared to a longer/thinner round) has advantages. I have no empty spots for them, so probably won't get any, but I have nothing against them.
  • Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With what you already have, I wouldn't buy one... The 30-06 will work for anything on this continent. The 300 Win is even better for the big stuff. 7-08 is a great round for woodland deer hunting. You got them all covered... Unless you want a 338 or 375.
  • Options
    muleridermulerider Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, all the elk have been with the 300, as well as the antelope, most of the deer, one with a 30.06, and one with a 44 mag, just got the 7mm-08, it sighted in as quick and easy as anything, it is looking good for the deer and antelope, occasional coyote......and may go on a elk/deer combo hunt with it .... I am very interested in hearing all the opinions here.....it does seem that there will be some of the short magnums left standing and some that will fade out.....

Don't pick on my mule, and we'll get along just fine!
  • Options
    Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    270wsm. I was trying to buy a 270, but they had the dies and brass for it, so what the heck. It's a Winchester 70 super shadow and it's a mighty fine shooter. I've adjusted the trigger down too far for practical hunting applications, but it really helps me work up loads.

"When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro"
    Hunter S. Thompson"
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had good results with the Remington .300 Short Action Ultra Mag, but be prepared to reload your own for it. I like to think of it as a revamped- or "modern" 30-06. Many of the loads you will make for the short actions will be compressed loads, and I have done quite a bit of research with the Remington .300 S.A.U.M. for my brother and found it to be an accurate rifle, with plenty of knock down power. I already own rifles in the three calibers you have mentioned, and if you throw in the .223 I don't think that you'll ever find yourself in north america without the correct rifle. But if you want in on the short mags, the remington has impressed me and plenty of new brass is available through midwayusa.com

R/

Dave
    th_bigclay.bmp
    People everywhere confuse what they read in newspapers with news.

-- A. J. Liebling
  • Options
    agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    Of all the Short Magnums now coming on the market, only the 270 WSM shows any improvement over the cartridge it may very well someday replace(270 Win). It will launch a 130 grain bullet very close to 270 WBY velocities. 10 years from now all the WSM's with the exception of the 325 will still be around. The Remington SAUM's will be dead and buried.

AlleninAlaska
    Delta Firearms & Supplies
    http://www.galleryofguns.com

aglore@gci.net