In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Thanks!

p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Sometimes it's just great to wake up and see a beautiful day. I woke up this morning after a wonderful nights sleep. Got up and looked out the front room window into the garden. The rain last night nourishing the buds I noticed yesterday on the fruit trees. Spring is just around the corner!

I've often felt that I am the luckiest guy in the world. I've traveled most of the planet. Done and seen things 90% of people can only read about and survived.

I was blessed with a good mind and body that is still going strong. Have a loving family and circle of support. Don't really want for anything and could even lose a few pounds. My wife cans the most tasty jams and I make wine from the fruits of the yard, blueberries, plums, grapes, pears, figs, satsumas, limes, kiwis, and apricots.

Once I won a car in a raffle. Learned from my wise father to appreciate good food, good wine, and a good woman. Hit 4 numbers in the lottery pretty regularly, can't wait for the big win!

I smile more than frown. No one I meet is an idiot until they show me they are. Generally my attitude is great and it shows. Some say there is no God, if not, there ought to be! Life is great and I hope that everyone, at some point in their life, can feel the way I feel this morning!

non Illigitmus carborundum

Comments

• p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks timhill100, received 223 brass today[:)]
    edited November -1
    Public thank you Danny! He'll appreciate it.

Will say this much on the forum...all of us have it made in todays easy world. The older we get, the easier it is to see.

Dad was born in 1915, poor Irish farmers with six kids besides him. Dad dropped out of school at the beginning of the third grade and went to work cutting cross ties with a double bit ax for ten cents a tie. My mother taught him to read and write and he does read well now, but as a side note, he can count and divide faster in his head than most can with a calculator. Excellent carpenter to boot.

Farmed and ranched, worked for Consolidated Vultee( now Lockheed )and retired with at least a little back-up and is doing fine all things considered.

Point is, I know growing up we never went hungry although there were times we ate what was in the garden and wildgame. Like most kids, I didn't realize we didn't have much. Those were happy days.

We raised a couple of pigs, a cow or two, chickens, and a 11-acre garden, which he gave most away to friends and neighbors. Man, I still remember the itch from gathering okra before the no-sting seeds! [:D]

Many meals, I brought in maybe a squirrel, two quail, or a rabbit and a catfish, always went on one platter with the veggies from the garden and homemade bread. Sugar cured hams and such in the well house were his specialty. Sure wish I knew how to do half the things he did although he taught me many other things.

We always had a dog and cats, a horse to ride, and he even let me drive the old Ford tractor. Never beat me with a belt...punishment was cutting Bois d'Arc (Osage Orange) trees with a double-bit ax. For those unfimiliar with 'em, it's our nations hardest wood! I promise! I've spent many hours doing it!!![;)]

Yes, I'm proud of him and don't regret at all that I wasn't born into a rich family. Kinda like never having seen Air Conditioning, you didn't know how much cooler you could be, so it didn't matter. Never had money, so what, didn't know the difference.

A true man of honor, he never needed more than a handshake, even here in Texas that's a passing thing I'm afraid. It means a lot to me, and I'm proud he brought me up that way.

At 89, he's still fairly active all things considered and may be with us several more years. He's starting to talk about what a good life he's had, including the broken bones and bruises, and seems as if he's prepared regardless. What more could a man ask for?
    edited November -1
    Just wanted to thank everyone who responded about the New England firearms! I picked up my new .223 from wally world yesterday! I have only shot a half dozen rounds through it and haven't even sighted it in yet, but I am very happy with my decision.[^]

BAG IT. TAG IT. EAT. SLEEP. REPEAT..
    edited November -1
    One more post and I will be a "Member"... I what to thank the people here that have helped me over the last three years. Your advice and opinions have been helpful and entertaining. Happy New Year!

Jim
  • HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
    edited November -1
    Wonderful attitude--enjoy life.[:D]

Don't assume malice for what stupidity can explain.
  • concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Man, good for you p3skyking!!!!!

I wake up every day dreading the new day. I hate my job, I hate my commute and I hate the people I'm force to work with. [V]

When I do finally get home in the evening I am happy to see my family for an hour or two but then we put our daughter to bed and I have to finish up the day's work and prepare for another day of misery.

Damn, I used to have a good attitude before Detroit crushed it out of me...[:(]

G36

Gun Control Disarms Victims, NOT CriminalsThe 2nd Amendment; America's Original Homeland Security
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Quite often, when I wake up in the morning, all I can say is "THANKS" [:D] [:D]

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,457 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Judging by the fruit you grow you must be in California or Florida. Judging by your attitude this morning, there must be one other crop growing out there.[:p]

Good Morning and Good for you!

He Dog
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the kind words everyone! It's lunchtime. I walk home for lunch every day. I know sometimes it's all I can do to keep plugging EVERY DAY! Attitude makes a world of difference.
    He Dog, you're close, Alabama Gulf Coast. Gave up the other crop years ago. Too much to see and do and I don't want to miss a thing!

To all you folks old enough to remember Peter, Paul and Mary. I'm at a point in my life where TURN,TURN,TURN makes more sense than most anything I read today.

Good tidings to everyone.
  • babybearbabybear Member Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Concealed, that's a lot of HATE'S. How old will you be when you take charge of your life and do things that make you and others around you happy?
  • HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great post Mike!Feels good to feel good. Peter, Paul, and Mary do it for me as well.{The Byrds sang Turn,Turn,Turn}

Now if you could just I.D that bayonet!!![8D]

Love them Pre-64's!!!!-Bob
  • concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by babybear
    Concealed, that's a lot of HATE'S. How old will you be when you take charge of your life and do things that make you and others around you happy?

I'll probably be dead before that happens. Ever hear of golden handcuffs?

G36

Gun Control Disarms Victims, NOT CriminalsThe 2nd Amendment; America's Original Homeland Security
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    Told ya, a little bourbon in your coffee does wonders for your outlook.[:D]

Big Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mike- I think just reading this will make my day at least a little better. I'm pretty content with life myself the majority of the time.

R/

Dave

How different the world would be if we could consult the veteran instead of the politician. - Henry Miller
  • gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    It is always good to find a person whos cup is always half full. Think positive and positive things will happen. [8D]

Greg
    Former
    USMC
    ANGLICO
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hangfire
    Great post Mike!Feels good to feel good. Peter, Paul, and Mary do it for me as well.{The Byrds sang Turn,Turn,Turn}

Now if you could just I.D that bayonet!!![8D]

Love them Pre-64's!!!!-Bob

Acht! Playing it over in my head, I wondered why I couldn't hear Mary![:I] Thanks guys.