In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

UPDATE: WALTHER PPK RECALL

drdave420drdave420 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
I have received an update from a manager at Smith & Wesson regarding the PPK / PPK-S recall.

Walther America / Smith & Wesson now have the parts necessary to begin repairing the estimated 10,000 (++) weapons returned for safety recall.

They will be running three shifts per day, and anticipate being able to repair approximately 500 weapons/day, beginning May 15, 2009.

I was told that while 500 weapons/day is their goal, there are multiple issues which could arise during repair (such as addressing double-feeding issues, magazine hang issues) which are all related to the same recalled part, but were not enumerated within the body of the recall.

Thus, it may take 2-3 days per weapon in order for each to be thoroughly repaired, inspected, and tested.

Smith & Wesson also does not anticipate beginning new PPK / PPK-S production until at least July or August, 2009.

Note: If pressed, they will provide you with a free magazine for your recalled weapon. All you have to do is call the recall line, or write them a quick letter.

Comments

• KSUmarksmanKSUmarksman Member Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Q just crapped his pants...
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Only S&W could take a weapon in that has been in constant manufacture since 1929 by Walther, Manurhin, and Interarms and screw it up enough to issue a recall.
    I guess it wasn't enough to put an outside extractor on their 1911 copy. [xx(]
  • StingSting Member Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This recall was the very reason I purchased a Sig sauer P232. I love the snag-free design of both, but modern and safe, was best in this case. I'm waiting now for my 120 lumen flashlight and polymer paddle holster given as a free promotional offer from Sig.
  • moonshinemoonshine Member Posts: 8,471
    edited November -1
    copy of email i rec.wish they would just get with it.

Repairs will begin on Friday May 8th. There was a delay in receiving parts from our vendors. The turn around time will be 3-4 weeks from that date.

Thanks,

Melissa Blondek

Smith & Wesson Customer Service

Phone: 1-800-331-0852 Ext. 3771

Fax: 1-413-747-3317
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by moonshine
    copy of email i rec.wish they would just get with it.

Repairs will begin on Friday May 8th. There was a delay in receiving parts from our vendors. The turn around time will be 3-4 weeks from that date.

Thanks,

Melissa Blondek

Smith & Wesson Customer Service

Phone: 1-800-331-0852 Ext. 3771

Fax: 1-413-747-3317

So who really makes them, S&W or vendors?