In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

WWI

JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
edited August 2013 in General Discussion
Begin 99 years ago today? I see 2 dates, one says July 28 and another says July 31.

Comments

• Options
    gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    8787910_1.jpg?v=8CC7EC3F2B57CA0

A Browning Model 1910 like this was used in the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand (Austria Hungary). - google July Crisis of 1914.

It's always something.

[;)]
    It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    I believe you'll find that photo to be of the 1922. The 1910 didn't have the barrel extention.
  • Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by p3skyking
    I believe you'll find that photo to be of the 1922. The 1910 didn't have the barrel extention.

Nice catch.
  • Options
    hobo9650hobo9650 Member Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I did not start that war. Oh, I was thinking of Bill Clinton.... never mind.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What a war! My grandfather went in to the army and was an artillery man.
    He was in France and near the front in November of 1918. He could hear the firing from the front and was to move up the next day.
    The next day was November 11 and the war ended.

A great book on the beginning of the war is The Guns of August by Barbara Tuchman. The Kaiser, Winston Churchill, Marshall Foch of France. all the larger than life characters are there.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    My great grandpa Johnny was in the US Navy before and during WWI and saw action in the Atlantic hunting U-Boats (no sonar or radar back then so the U-Boat had an excellent chance of sinking the ship hunting it!). My grandpa George was also in the navy but was assigned to the Pacific and never saw combat. My great Uncle Eddie (George's older brother) was an artilleryman and saw duty in France but the war ended before the unit's artillery pieces actually arrived in France. The guns ended up in Hawaii [:0] and when they were sent back to the States they were taken right off the transport and issued for training. This wore out the gun barrels before they were finally shipped to France so that when the guns actually did arrive they were considered to be too worn to use. Uncle Eddie's unit had to wait on new guns to arrive from the States but by then the war was over!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by allen griggs
    What a war! My grandfather went in to the army and was an artillery man.
    He was in France and near the front in November of 1918. He could hear the firing from the front and was to move up the next day.
    The next day was November 11 and the war ended.

A great book on the beginning of the war is The Guns of August by Barbara Tuchman. The Kaiser, Winston Churchill, Marshall Foch of France. all the larger than life characters are there.

The Guns of August is pretty much the high water mark of popular WWI books, it tells of the big players and operations. There's another little known book that gives you the conflict from the worms eye view of the soldier in the trench:

Make the Kaiser Dance: Living Memories of a Forgotten War: The American Experience in World War I
    Henry Berry (Author)

It's an excellent nose in the dirt narrative.
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    And you can thank the French and their follower the English for setting the table for WWII and for that matter, the rise of Communism.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK skyking, I just bought Make the Kaiser Dance off of Amazon for 97 cents. Hardback. Shipping $3.99

Hard to lose on this deal.
    I am going to hold you to account, however. I bought 3 Vietnam books 2 months ago based on forum recommendations, what a bunch of bow-wows.
    I wound up leaving them next to the pumps at gas stations across the land, I figure someone will pick them up and read them, sort of an informal library. Never got over half way through one of them.

Anyway, I like the close up personal war stories so I have a good feeling about your book. I loved Im Westen Nicht Neues I mean All Quiet on the Western Front.

But The Guns of August is a great book, I have had it 20 years and read it 3 times, I think it won the Pulitzer Prize.
  • Options
    gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by p3skyking

Crap !....... wrong again. Good eye.

[;)][:D]
    It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK skyking, I just bought Make the Kaiser Dance off of Amazon for 97 cents. Hardback. Shipping $3.99

I am going to hold you to account, however. I bought 3 Vietnam books 2 months ago based on forum recommendations, what a bunch of bow-wows.
    I wound up leaving them next to the pumps at gas stations across the land, I figure someone will pick them up and read them, sort of an informal library. Never got over half way through one of them.

Anyway, I like the close up personal war stories so I have a good feeling about your book. I loved Im Westen Nicht Neues I mean All Quiet on the Western Front.

But The Guns of August is a great book, I have had it 20 years and read it 3 times, I think it won the Pulitzer Prize.

If you loved "Im Westen Nicht Neues" then you should also read his similar book about the Second World War. "Zeit, Liebe und Zeit zu Sterben".
  • Options
    wipalawipala Member Posts: 11,068
    edited November -1
    Strange to think there are no survivors of that war left. and we are rapidly losing the WWII vets.
  • Options
    Night StalkerNight Stalker Member Posts: 11,967
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JnRockwall
    Begin 99 years ago today? I see 2 dates, one says July 28 and another says July 31.
    Interesting... I didn't know you were interested in military matters.

I guess you learn something new every day.

Thanks,

NS
  • Options
    Waco WaltzWaco Waltz Member Posts: 10,828 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would recommend Storm of Steel by Ernest Junger.

Oh and here is photo of Private Ralf Langsworthy or at least his uniform. I had to round up his boots else where.

2j29pck.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1

Allen, I don't think you will be disappointed. I believe I've read it twice and think about it everytime I slosh through mud.