In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

The M1941 & M1944 Johnson Rifle/LMG.....

rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
.....I remember my grandfather talking about them from his WWII days. He had told me stories of him and a couple other guys carrying them in the U.S. First Special Service Force and everybody always told him he was crazy. I do have photographs of some of his buddies carrying M1941 & M1944 Johnson Rifles but I finally found a good article write up on them...and found it interesting in my research of my grandfathers war history....I guess today being his birthday it kind of spurred the interest to do a little research today but I thought I'd pass along the info to those who would appreciate it.

Unfortunately he has passed on some years back so I'll never get to hear his stories first hand again....I have only my memories of his stories to go on.

Here is the article: http://www.findarticles.com/cf_dls/m0BQY/12_46/66491975/p1/article.jhtml?term=

aliens.jpg

Comments

• p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use to own a USMC Johnson until I traded it. Will eventually get another.

The rifle was a ball to shoot with the recoiling barrel. You could load individual cartridges in the mag while on the fly. You could pop the barrel off in less than a minute, a holdover from the LMG I guess.

What men call a hero...is merely a man who is seen doing what a brave man does as a matter of course.
    A man who is in love with learning is a man who is never without a bride, for there is always more. L'Amour