In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

this is YOUR elk hunt.....

RUGERNUT3RUGERNUT3 Member Posts: 247 ✭✭✭
edited February 2002 in General Discussion
Here is what it has come down to after 4 LONG, luckless, days on your elk hunt.Last day. You see a GREAT bull..he is(you have no seperate range finder glass)what looks to be 250 yards away...150 feet BELOWYOUR elevation..LAST DAY guys.(1) WHAT BRAND?(2) WHAT "GUN"? did NOT say "what rifle"(3) WHAT ACTION?(4) WHAT CAL.?(5) WHAT OPTICSit's your call.......
"ANY" EXCUSE IS A GOOD REASON TO BUY "JUST 1 MORE".& VICIE-VERSIE![This message has been edited by RUGERNUT3 (edited 02-21-2002).]

Comments

• cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Piece of cakeRem 700.300 WeatherbyLeupold 2X7Aim just behind the round part of the shoulder jt.Tenderloin for breakfast.cpermd
  • varmit huntervarmit hunter Member Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Howa 1500 or Rem 700.300Win mag.180gr Hornady A-Max.3x9 Burris.Lots of rope,And a winch.
    A unarmed man is a subject.A armed man is a citizen.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    without buying another gun,rem 7007mm mag175 gr grand slamburris 4-16x44 set at maybe 6x or sored dot turned onabout 8 inches up from the briskut and behind the shoulder.now what was the name of that taxadermist?....hmmmm
  • simonbssimonbs Member Posts: 994
    edited November -1
    M1 Garand, Iron sights, .30-06'.
  • Richie RichRichie Rich Member Posts: 439 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    3 AM YOU HAVE TO GO BACK TO CAMP CUZ YOU FORGOT THE GUN. YOU ARE DOING 75 ON A MT ROAD. DID I MENTION IT WAS 3 AM! YOU COME AROUND A TURN AND BANG 6X6 DEAD CENTER OF THE ROAD.............WOULD THAT NOT STINK.NEVER HAPPEN TO ME BUT WHAT A THOUGHT. With present equipment: if I was bow hunting it would be a pse f4 lightning. If a gun hunt, rem 700 camo, (300 weatherby)springfield 4x14x56,also a pair of 8x32 leicas on bino buddies.Alot of game bags,rope,comealong and don't forget the the sharpening stones and biggg coolers.
  • the loveable rat...the loveable rat... Member Posts: 969 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    rem 700(i'm using a sendero) 7 mag w/ leupold ao scope- backpack all the way out and all the way back. a very strenuous pack out if i get that shot...over and over...
  • RUGERNUT3RUGERNUT3 Member Posts: 247 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can I post what I would........WEATHERBY MARK VLEO VARI...dialed into 6x150grn. nosler partitionflat-fast and hits with an attitude....I was waiting for some of the 06 people tochime in...kinda. My Brng.Medallion 06 is my all around fav for deer and elk....but at 250just aint gonna happen..to stay flat enough for a sure shot I think you would have to go to 130-135grn. & and I dont think it would beable to penetrate their thick hides deep enough for a "quick" kill. Oh I have no doubt you could bring him down with that...but following a blood trail up in CO. where I hunt would be a bit of a task...Shot one once where I had to carry the %#@#thing (pcs. of course} down a 40-50 degreemtn. back to the horse...then up again, down again, changed where I hunted after that.Hunt outside of Antonita (s.w. about 45 min. on what I call the Chama Hwy.) the Hwy actually leaves CO. and dips down into Chama NM. Found a meadow that you can drive into for the hard work....it is heaven...always have 40+ come down from the high country every year to this meadow. NOPE! does not take the "fun" out of it...just the hard work....
    "ANY" EXCUSE IS A GOOD REASON TO BUY "JUST 1 MORE".& VICIE-VERSIE![This message has been edited by RUGERNUT3 (edited 02-21-2002).]
  • PupPup Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Weatherby Mk V Deluxe.300 Wthby Mag3x9 Wthby scope180 grn Nosler PartitionPortable grillPotatosGreen peppersBottle of rose'My dad.
    Politicians, like diapers, should be changed often and for the same reason.
    edited November -1
    rugrnt-do you live around there? me and the gal are plannin to move to trinidad soon(from chicago). hey pup, is the rose' for the elk to drink? [This message has been edited by the loveable rat... (edited 02-21-2002).]
    edited November -1
    Nope rat......in the US of Texas.15 hour drive to my huntin (and trout fishin) spot..almost wish I did...but gets TOO cold..for extended periods!
    "ANY" EXCUSE IS A GOOD REASON TO BUY "JUST 1 MORE".& VICIE-VERSIE!
    edited November -1
    holy smokes! a texan in colorado hunting and fishing...well i'll forgive you, i'm a visitor there now myself(hopefully not for long, i miss a lot of things there). please don't trash out the place and remind your buds to do the same- i'll thank you and keep it that way for ya when you get there...
  • DaRoostaDaRoosta Member Posts: 270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I asked myself a very similar question about a year ago. Then I made my purchase.Sako Model 75 SS300 Ultra MagLeupold Vari-XIII 3.5x10x50 Illuminated Mil-Dot scopeButler Creek Blizzard scope capsHarris BipodBoonie slingFederal 180-grain Trophy Bonded Bear ClawsAim dead onYa'll can keep your Weatherby's and Sendero's. Nice rifles, but they can't hold a candle to the Sako.
  • BoltactionManBoltactionMan Member Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    RugerNut:I was just there in October it went like this.700 Classic .300 Weatherby 180gr Weatherby factory loads.Rested off of rolled up coat on stump.Remembered to breathe, even squeezed the trigger.Never heard gun, when dust settled, walked down to spot, found blood, 80 yard trail dead elk.Have to hurry to dress it before dark, long happy hike to truck.Horse wrangler comes out tomorrow for the pack out.Only difference was mine was a cow. (Still very happy)KCI forgot, Redfield Golden Star 3-9X set on 6. And as Pup said my Dad. His first trip, his turn was yesterday. Has to come with me tomorrow to quarter mine for packout. We see Ruger's 6X6 with 4 other branch antlered bulls and 30 plus cows in same field. What a beautiful memory.[This message has been edited by BoltactionMan (edited 02-21-2002).]
  • 25-0625-06 Member Posts: 382 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why hasn't anyone mentioned a .338 Win. Mag. or a 340 Weathery Mag. with 225 or 250 gr. Partitions? Model 70 Winchester or Weatherby Accumark? Just my 2 cents.
  • whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Husqvarna, 6.5X55 Swede, 4X Leupold, 100Gr RNSP.Deadly and inherently accurate combination.Clouder..
  • vol fanvol fan Member Posts: 301 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My old Model 70338 Mag2x7 LeopoldHarris Bipod250 gr Sierra BTHPs
    I like to think of myself as a cosmic event in time and space, but everybody just treats me like @#$%.
  • reb8600reb8600 Member Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    RemingtonModel 721Bolt270 cal.Leopold 4X130 gr. nosler balistic with 58 gr. Imr 4831Hit him in the neckGuarantied its a kill
    Guncontrol-The ability to hit what your aiming at.
    edited November -1
    somehow I doubt a sako can do any better than 1 ragged hole at 150yds. I'll put a sendero against any sako. It might cost more and be pretty but that don't put meat on the table. just .02 from someone who has outshot weatherby accumarks, sakos, and HS precisions with a sendero. Guess I must have the best one they ever made. Thats with factory ammo too.
    edited November -1
    daroosta, ever shot a sendero? I'll put mine against any non-custom on the market. 1 ragged hole at 150yds from factory ammo 7mm mag is proof enough. Pretty don't fill the freezer.
    edited November -1
    JustC,My ragged old sendero won A 1000yrd match,And there were three Lazzeroni's in the match.Guess we just dont know better.
    A unarmed man is a subject.A armed man is a citizen.[This message has been edited by varmit hunter (edited 02-22-2002).]
    edited November -1
    Varmit Hunter, what caliber we talkin? 1000yds......man that's out there. I have several guns I built for that distance but I havn't ever tried my hand yet. Just kinda workin my way out.
    edited November -1
    JustC..300Win mag,180gr Federal Gold match.Three,Three shot groups averged 8.625.The last group was at 1.750,Wind fell off and opend it to 9.250.
    A unarmed man is a subject.A armed man is a citizen.
    edited November -1
    That's some mighty fine shooting my friend. Congrats. I have a 280 ackley I plan on pushing out there once I have gotten more familiar with her.
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I never understood why anyone would use Butler Creek Blizzard Scope Caps. It blows my mind that someone would pay all that money for awesome optics and force himself to peer through a cheap piece of plastic to see through those optics. Aren't you defeating the purpose?
  • RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1. Ruger2. No.1 1-H3. Single Shot4. H&H .375 Mag5. Eyeball
    Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • DaRoostaDaRoosta Member Posts: 270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I guess I stirred it up a little bit with my Sako comment, which is what I was looking for. I like the Sendero's, too, but just haven't had the results with factory ammo. Personally, I like the looks of the Sendero better than my Sako if we're just talking about looks. You guys don't think the Sako can put meat on the table? Think again. I have no doubt both will do the job in the field.Regarding the Butler Creek Blizzard caps, all they do is keep the rainy drizzle and snow off the lenses of the scope until you're ready to flip them up. I have the clear version and keep them open if it's not rainy or snowing. I'd rather not have to wipe off my lenses every 5 minutes than know I can flip them open in a heartbeat and find my target without looking at rain drops or melted snow.
  • .280 freak.280 freak Member Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    DaRoosta -You beat me to the punch on the Butler Creek covers thing.Idsman -I would guess that you don't hunt much in inclement weather? DaRoosta has it exactly right about their use.
  • steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had a similar situation in Utah although the elk was nice but no trophy. Elk was looking right at me. Put 180 gr. 30-06 bullet at the point where the neck joins the body and dropped him in his tracks. Magnum power is not needed at under 300 yds. Bullet placement is far more important than power.
    edited November -1
    I have hunted in incliment weather before. I just can't grasp the idea of peering through cheap plastic which will distort the expensive optics that I paid good money for. To each their own.
  • .280 freak.280 freak Member Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Idsman75 -Fair enough, like you say, to each his own. I looked at my earlier post and saw that it could have been taken as a smart*ss reply. I didn't mean it in that way, so let me expound a little.If you are hunting in snowy or rainy weather you keep 'em in place until a shot opportunity presents itself. If the shot is going to be a quick, close one, you can just take the shot looking right through the caps; the theory here would be that you don't need the optical clarity as much as you need the speed of acquisition. If the shot is going to be at a distance where the benefit of better optics would come into play, logic suggests that you will have enough time (ie - the game is farther away and unaware of your presence) to flip them up out of the way.At least, this is my take on it. If you don't like 'em, my suggestion is quite simple - don't use 'em. I like 'em, they do the job for me.
  • AntiqueDrAntiqueDr Member Posts: 691 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dakota 76 .330 DakotaShepherd PE1
    We buy, sell and trade quality guns and scopes!Ask us about Shepherd Scopes!Visit our website at www.ApaxEnterprises.com
    edited November -1
    I guess I didn't understand how the Blizzards worked. I thought they plastic cover stayed in place.
  • steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Remington 700, 30-06, 280, or 270. Best optics you can afford. Zeiss binoculars and Leupold scope. Magnification would depend on expected ranges you will encounter. In the longer distance hunting that I do my scope is 3x9, binoculars 10 power. If you hunt steep Western mountains you will want to keep the rifle weight reasonable. I use the butler creek scope covers because I hunt dirty dusty areas and it keeps dirt or rain out of my optics. This is probably my failing but in the field I would end up cleaning my optics with a shirtsleeve and scratching them. With the covers you dont have to clean because they are only open for a few seconds (when you shoot). These covers flip out of your way in a second and can be opened silently in close situations.
    edited November -1
    Well......not much of a challenge to ya'll!Cant see much wrong with what anyone would use..need something more challenging. No, I dont mean that "I" am the "expert" at choosing the "best" equip. for said scenario...ya'll all get an "A" for your posts..........!
    "ANY" EXCUSE IS A GOOD REASON TO BUY "JUST 1 MORE".& VICIE-VERSIE!