In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

problems adjusting to time zone. any tips

storm6490storm6490 Member Posts: 8,010
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
been in slovakia almost a week. its 0117hrs and im alert and alive. i should be sleeping but cant.

went to bed at 2000hrs and wake up like clock work at 0100.

have any tricks on how to adjust quickly

Comments

• Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Prescription drugs..[}:)]
  • penetraitorpenetraitor Member Posts: 3,870
    edited November -1
    Pull an all nighter the first day.
  • screwobamascrewobama Member Posts: 625
    edited November -1
    I know that if you only fly north or south you won't get jet lag.[:D]
  • Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    A couple generous shots of vodka should do it.
  • HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    Going West is always easy. Going East is really hard, especially if it is in fast transpo for a long Distance.
  • dan kellydan kelly Member Posts: 9,799
    edited November -1
    working a night shift alweays fixed my body clock.
  • storm6490storm6490 Member Posts: 8,010
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rcrxs old lady
    A couple generous shots of vodka should do it.

i quit drinking in november but i tell you what, that vodka they have here really looks interesting. not sure how well i would do in a slovak jail. [:D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by penetraitor

good idea 2000hrs is probably too soon to go to bed. should i just stay up till midnight or morning
  • MaaloxMaalox Member Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is that +9 hours from you home timezone? I have made a number of trips to the middle east (+9) and also Asia (+12). And as noted earlier it is more difficult to go east than it is to go west.

Just stick with your new schedule of going to bed and getting up and you will adjust after a few days. I find that staying in bed (even if I am awake and just staring at the ceiling) helps me adjust quicker.

Good luck
    Regards, MAALOX
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Maalox
    Is that +9 hours from you home timezone? I have made a number of trips to the middle east (+9) and also Asia (+12). And as noted earlier it is more difficult to go east than it is to go west.

Just stick with your new schedule of going to bed and getting up and you will adjust after a few days. I find that staying in bed (even if I am awake and just staring at the ceiling) helps me adjust quicker.

Good luck

its 8hrs for me from mst time to here. think ill go stare at the wall in a few minutes here.
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Just stay up as long as it takes to get to MIDNIGHT!You'll be right back on time!![:D]
  • MaaloxMaalox Member Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by storm6490
    quote:Originally posted by Maalox

Good luck

its 8hrs for me from mst time to here. think ill go stare at the wall in a few minutes here.

Hang in there. It should get better after a few days. They say it takes one day for each hour of time change before you get on to the new schedule.
    Regards, MAALOX
  • RamtinxxlRamtinxxl Member Posts: 9,480
    edited November -1
    Move the hour hand on your watch backwards or forwards as appropriate. That should help.
  • penetraitorpenetraitor Member Posts: 3,870
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by storm6490
    quote:Originally posted by penetraitor

good idea 2000hrs is probably too soon to go to bed. should i just stay up till midnight or morning

I don't know military time enough to know, other than that when 2000hrs is 8:00 P.M.. Does Military time not have a zone? Or what zone is it in, standardized?

I do know one thing though. Got married 9/8/01, and post poned honeymoon thankfully until next weekend, for sake of wanting all time possible.

I can go to work at 8:00 A.M. 9/14/01 and get off around 7:00 P.M. Go home and pack my stuff. Hit the road for Vegas by Midnight9/15/01. And proceed to drive for 27 hours.

I got from central IN. To Utah and I was done by 3 A.M.. No bed ever felt so good, on 9/16/01. (No thanks to Bin Ladin for flights being grounded on my honeymoon). AAA found me a room in Moab UT. Great place there with arches.[:)] River Junction, CO. was booked with people that couldn't get home.

Moral of this now drunk story is your body, if in mind set can stay up for 44 hours at age 27.

Might of flarped a little on the time. I gota get drunk quick and go to bed soon. I have to be in Chicago by 8:00 A.M.. 3 hour drive.

Do it heck the Indians would do it for more than 72 hours so they could see a vision. (No food and water either). And its natural. Just be the first to go to bed when time calls. Keep yourself busy in the mean time.[8D]
  • susiesusie Member Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I flew to Germany in April from Arkansas. I adjusted going over and coming back although I was only there for a week. The secret is to stay awake for 24 hours. Yep, if you can push it do it on day one. Then on the second day, go to bed at the time that you will be going to bed on a regular basis. Your body will reset itself. You will be sleepy enough that you will go to sleep. Set your clock for the time you will be getting up on a regular basis. DO NOT OVERSLEEP. Also, make sure you have your windows exposed to outside light in the mornings. This triggers the brain to awaken.

Do not nap! It keeps your body confused. I assume you are able to operate on five hours of sleep so your body is attempting to stay in its old pattern and after five hours you awaken. This is why you must stay awake a full rotation from day one to day two. You must tire yourself out and have the body needing more than a few hours of sleep.