In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Veteran GB sellers...HELP ME

mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I posted Mrs. Mudges Glock 30 on GB for sale. Item 16116358. First time I ever posted anything and I don't know what I did wrong but the picture turned out HUGE. I don't imagine there's anything I can do at this point to make it smaller is there?
If so please advise me. Look at it. It's looks like it's got a major pituitary problem.

Mudge the humongous

I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!

Comments

• BoltactionManBoltactionMan Member Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mudge,
    It has something to do with the setting of size on the camera. Mine used to look like that too. Not to worry, the Gunbroker elves will have it fixed by morning.

Good Luck.

KC
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's been a while since I ran an auction. Almost a year actually. Don't worry, the system will automaticly optimize your pictures shortly. It takes a few hours for it to happen though.

Woods

Hamlin.gif

rockin_lg_clr.gif
  • Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the picture size isn't corrected you can edit your listing and delete the picture then replace it with a smaller or even different picture.

Go to the sellers section and click on the edit function. Make sure you have your listing number handly because that is how you will call it up for editing.

As for the picture size, you should have a photo editior of some type on your computer so you can resize the image saving the new copy to the original name or another name for uploading to GB.

Hope this helps.

2470099-S.jpg
    If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,061 ******
    edited November -1
    My Mavica has two settings, NORMAL and FINE.

I tried FINE in the beginning, and people complained about the size. I use NORMAL mode now and have no problem.

I could also go to EMAIL mode and make an even smaller picture.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com the best gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net
  • droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,363 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Guess I like reading your posts. I did an "edit" and posted the picture at http://www.websoft2000.com/glock30.jpg. You can copy it to your computer or link it. I'll leave it on my domain for a couple of weeks,, maybe forever it I forget. Not familiar with how GB does revisions.

The picture was HUGE. 835 KB or almost a meg. 1600 x 1200 resolution. I'm on a 56K modem and it took a "LONG" time to load. I've found that people on less than a DSL might not wait for the image to load. Plus,, I've found a good picture will sell an item quickly or at least get an email question.

I "cleaned up" the bright spots. Did a slight "crop", lightened the image a little and "resized" the image to 20% of the original and set the pixels to 72 per inch. This number is about all you can "see" on a CRT, unless I'm making color print that is what I use. I "compressed" the image 20% because it "looked OK" using this setting.

The image is now about 25K, looks OK on my 800x600 monitor but,, it might look small on 1024x768 monitors. Maybe you can get feedback from others. People can get a pretty good idea of your item using this photo.

In summary,, I've found the camera setting of 1024 x 768 resolution works best for my photos. I then resize and compress. There are free photo editors that work quite well. I use JASC because,, well,,, because I'm accomsted to it and I can't afford Adobe Photo Shop.

When only the best will do.
  • droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,363 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I must need something to do..

Made another,,, only bigger,,

http://www.websoft2000.com/glock30-1.jpg

When only the best will do.
  • gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    I thought Mrs Mudge liked big guns. My mistake. [8D]

Greg
    Former
    USMC
    ANGLICO
  • BoomerangBoomerang Member Posts: 4,513
    edited November -1
    I have some suggestions! Sell only the gun with the 2 mags that came with it, along with the box, loader, brush, cleaning rod, and owners manual if you still have them. That way potential buyers have all the base features to compare with others. Also try to describe it better. If you are wanting to sell it quick, look at what others are selling for and sell yours for $50 less. Then offer the mags and holster to the winning bidder for extra money if he/she are interested. Although the holster you have is nice, some people just don't want to spend the extra dollars for it and th extra mags. It seems like so many people on this site are price point driven. Lastly know this, that gun will cost a minimum of $30 to ship UPS next day air saver. Nice Glock, and good with the auction.

Boomer

"Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as it is by the obstacles which one has overcome while trying to succeed"

. and the antithesis to this philosophy was uttered by Bill Clinton "I smoked it, but I didn't inhale."

NRA Life Member
  • competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The starting bid is kinda HUGE too[?]

http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=16116358

Although I guess owning a gun formerly owned by Mrs. Mudge has it's value!

You'll be losing money on that $10 shipping--unless you have an FFL friend doing the shipping for you.

You should have some free software that came with your digital camera (I assume that is what you used) that will allow you to edit picture size. Or maybe it will be resized automatically by GB as others have suggested--though I've never seen that; sometimes people want huge pictures to show the detail on something collectable.

Or use "droptop's" resized picture.

If you have no bids you can edit your listing; once you have a bid you could only stop the auction and start a new one with the new picture size.
  • jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    Geez...and I was just considering that exact model...
  • matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
    edited November -1
    I'll let you know in a coupla days when the pic loads on my screen![;)]

Just funnin' ya, nice looking, just my .02, but I think the extras will help sell it for ya.

BTW, how did you like the DeSantis?

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Edmund Burke
  • fragmentsfragments Member Posts: 407 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When you sell it you can buy 2 Rugers!! Good choice!!
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mudge the svelte, you have mail with an attached image which has been edited. I adjusted the light so the details show up better, cropped it, reduced image size slightly, and then saved it in a less bulky format. As a rule of thumb, any picture taken with a digital camera or from a scanner requires some adjustment to enhance its usefulness for an auction posting. With my ammo listings, I always have to do this. Hope it helps.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the French." (Mark Twain) ". . . And DemoCraps" (me)