In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

HAHAHA -- Nader to speak Sunday (tomorrow) a.m.

offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Tomorrow morning check your talking heads TV shows -- Ralph Nader will be interviewed on "Meet the Press" and announce whether he will join the presidential race as an independent -- and possibly suck votes from the Democrat nominee..... Just as he did in 2000, and as Ross Perot did in times past. Dems are trying to minimize the potential problem, but are having kittens over Nader. My guess is they would pay him a king's ransom to stay out. See the following C&P summary of the problem, from CNN (not Fox [:D] ):

Nader could be spoiler, some Democrats say
Consumer advocate to announce plans Sunday morning

Saturday, February 21, 2004

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The two leading Democrats left in the race for the White House were campaigning Saturday in some of the big states ahead on the primary calendar -- while Ralph Nader's scheduled appearance on a Sunday morning news show was giving Democratic strategists a bit of heartburn.

Sunday on NBC's "Meet The Press," Nader, the Green Party's presidential candidate in 1996 and 2000, is expected to announce whether he will make another White House bid, this time as an independent. Democrats who fear he could siphon off enough votes to tip the election to President Bush have been trying to talk him out of it.

"We can't afford to have Ralph Nader in the race," Democratic National Committee Chairman Terry McAuliffe told CNN on Friday. "This is about the future of our country. If you care about the environment, if you care about job growth, you've got to support the Democratic nominee. So I'm urging everybody to talk to Ralph Nader." ...

Memories of 2000 election

In 2000, Nader won less than 3 percent of the vote nationally. But many Democrats are convinced he tipped the election toward Bush ...

However, it is impossible to know what those Nader voters would have done if he had not been in the race. Nader himself insists that "Gore beat Gore" and that many of his voters would have stayed home or voted for Bush if he had not been on the ballot.

Still, the possibility of Nader drawing votes from the left side of the political spectrum has leading Democrats worried.

"I think the role at this point that he plays is a similar role to what he played last time, and that's a spoiler," Sen. Dianne Feinstein of California told CNN. "I hate to say that."

One question raised by a Nader candidacy would be whether he would appeal to voters who were energized by the campaign of former Vermont Gov. Howard Dean -- particularly voters opposed to the war in Iraq, which both Kerry and Edwards supported in Congress.

Dean, who suspended his campaign last week, has said he will support the Democratic nominee in order to beat Bush. But some of his supporters who are less satisfied with their choices may be more open to Nader.

As one Dean supporter put it in a message posted on his campaign blog, "All I can say is I understand the reasons Nader is running this time a lot more than I understood them last time."

However, Edwards, who is trying to come from behind to catch Kerry, told reporters Saturday that he is actively courting Dean voters as "the person who has new fresh ideas." He has also said that his outsider, populist campaign can appeal to people who might be tempted to vote for Nader.

Nader said in December he would not run for the Green Party nomination in 2004. That decision means he will have to go through the process of getting ballot access in all 50 states as an independent, a potentially daunting and expensive task.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif

Comments

• ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    The Republicans had Ross Perot, the Democrats have Nader.

However, I'm not sure he has the power he did back then. Voter discontent with both parties was at an all-time high back in 2000 and that's the environment where petty little ego-cases have their best showings.

My prediction is Nader will announce that he's running, saying, more or less, that he's the Christ himself reborn and that only he can save American politics.

And the backlash will be enormous. Democrats will chastise him for trying to split the vote. Republicans will all but endorse him, thereby ruining his credibilty with liberal voters. And in about three weeks he will fade from a view.
  • LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    Nader needs to check into the hospital for about ten years worth of electro-shock treatment.

Lord Lowrider the Loquacious.

Member:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets

She was only a fisherman's daughter,
    But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • H.S. 10-XH.S. 10-X Member Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Who are the Libertarians running as a Presidential candidate? Haven't heard anything from them.

10x.jpgFort_Smith.gif
    "If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"- Kansas
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, it will give some chuckleheads a candidate if he gets on the ballot - most of his supporters are so wasted they couldn't see straight to write him in. I doubt he will have the impact he had in 2000, but after the third party candidacies allowed Billary to win in '92 & '96, it seems only fair. I wouldn't be surprised to see a conservative alternative to the Republicrat President to pop up, either . . . and possibly get a lot of votes depending on how events unfold.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the French." (Mark Twain) ". . . And DemoCraps" (me)