In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

The last straw...

concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I've been working for a public-sector entity for several years now, first as a networking engineer (consultant) and now as a permanent employee (union-exempt director). The person for whom I work is such a racist and know-it-all that it takes all I have from quitting. Some of you may remember that I've posted about my situation before and how unhappy I am where I work. You may also recall that I can't quit because I am the sole breadwinner for our family.

Well, over the last several weeks I built, tested and customized a web-based help-desk package for the enterprise. I spent long hours working on this product to get it just right. I scheduled a demonstration for my boss and several of my colleagues but after waiting for an hour the boss never showed up. After the demo where the IT Director didn't show up I sent an e-mail asking if he'd like another demo or what he wanted to do next. I never received a reply; unfortunately that is typical as he rarely ever replies to any voice or e-mail messages.

I just found out that the director demonstrated the help desk software to the board as his own work and never advised any of the IT staff of his presentation. He still hasn't told anybody about it. Yet another slap in the face from a person who doesn't have the technical ability of a gnat and whose only skill is being a clever thief and liar. Several times now I have worked to create solutions for which he takes all the credit. When something goes wrong, usually because HE failed to listen to my warnings or respond to my requests, I get blamed and reprimanded.

@$% [:(] [:(!] [:(] [:(!] [V]

G36

Gun Control Disarms Victims, NOT CriminalsThe 2nd Amendment; America's Original Homeland Security

Comments

• dongizmodongizmo Member Posts: 14,477 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kurt,
    Can you write a timer into your software like a shareware product has?
    when it expires, let the thief explain what happened.[}:)]
    I would also try to befriend one of the board members, give them the questions to ask to expose the rat.
    Good luck!
    Don

eng.JPG
    Welcome to America...Now speak English.
    ````````````````````````
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    You are a better man than me. I'd rather my family do with out some things for a while than to make them put up with me being miserable. Can you send a virus through that program and let the thief fix it while you're out sick? Or rewrite it with improvements and submit it directly to the board saying "I've improved on MY previous work and thought you'd like to see it first."

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • tajjntajjn Member Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A simple password to kick off any demo of the software should be a snap for a programmer. If anyone asked why the password, just say it was to protect from inadvertent damage until any bugs were worked out of the program. Chumming up with a board memeber could be playing with fire, sounds like your boss knows how to play political games. A password on new work would force him to at least recognize you and come to you for the information. Your name displayed on a tile page for the software might not be a bad idea if it as not too blatant. Good luck.
  • concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good feedback all, thank you.

First, I refuse to stoop to the level of this guy. I don't want to infect any of the systems or otherwise abuse my "power". I have been the administrator for a long time and I would never do anything malicious.

Second, I think BDJ may be onto something. My wife has officially given me the green light to quit as my tremendous stress has really been causing serious problems within my family. I usually am so depressed by the end of the day, what with the challenges at work and then the ridiculous commute, that it is all I can do not to drink myself to sleep and yell at my family.

Finally, yeah, I could put my name on the work I do or otherwise password protect stuff but that would just get me in more "trouble". The IT Director would certainly figure out a way to explain the passwords to whoever he was attempting to show my work to until he got me to disable the protection.

Anyway, it doesn't matter. I have personally spoken with the the Vice President of Human Resources, the staff attorney and even the President. The problem? I'm white, the person I'm having all the trouble with is black. This is despite the fact that I have the college degree, the industry certification and the experience and the "boss" has his skin color and a talent for lying. For those of you who don't know, Detroit is probably one of the most racist places of all. In this city it is OPENLY known that "minority" contractors, vendors and employees are given preferred status and, in fact, even when the minority is much less qualified he/she will get the work long before a white person does. If a white person does anything against a black person he is labeled racist and extreme punishment is forthcoming. If a black person does the same or worse thing to a white person it is ignored.

Dang, I almost wish I didn't have a family just so I could beat this guy to a pulp. It would be worth it to go to jail for assault knowing that I broke all his teeth in right before breaking his jaw. [V]

G36

Gun Control Disarms Victims, NOT CriminalsThe 2nd Amendment; America's Original Homeland Security
  • ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If one person is the only reason you are depressed, you should definitely try and solve the problem, and stay. Talk to his superiors if he has any, and talk to employees that aren't always sucking up to him.

GWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifErie.gif
    banner-small.jpg
    www.awbansunset.com
  • concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks ruger, but I've already spoken with all the people in authority. They don't care.

Also, unfortunately, the nepotism here is so bad that everyone is either directly related to this guy or from the same "tribe". And, I am being serious; these people apparently belong to a tribe. So, regardless of the facts they have and will continue to support their "brother" and their family member. I'm screwed.

G36

• bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    Leave today. No two weeks notice. Just tell them to kiss your white crack and go take your wife to lunch somewhere nice. Quit drinking for a while, get some exercise and good meals, after a week or so start to look for work. Don't ever try to work for someone you can't respect. Your much better off poor and happy. I'm living proof.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You and other like minded set the fool up to fail.

If this person does not have the smarts to tell good from bad then you folks come up w/ something that looks good but will really bite the IT Dir. on the butt and as your settin things up for them to steal it leave email that indicates that a meeting is needed to go over the possible "problems".

Then once the shista hits the fan and the toad tries to blame you there is an open door to go direct to the senior folks and lay things out.

Bad way to live? Yes, but if you've got no immediate option to go to, then fight it out. Get the fool to do what comes natural to them ... foolish things!

2470099-S.jpg
    If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
  • TOOLS1TOOLS1 Member Posts: 6,133
    edited November -1
    Ditto Bigdaddy[;)]
    TOOLS

General TOOLS RRG

Don't go blaming the beer. Hank Hill

So much Ice, So much Beer. So little time. Shooter4

I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem. Hank Hill

When I was a child, I thought as a child. But now that I am grown, I just wish I could act like a child and get away with it.
  • bigtirebigtire Member Posts: 24,800
    edited November -1
    Document everything! See a Lawyer about a possible "hostile work environment" lawsuit. Start looking for another job right now. When you decide to leave, tell the board/president exactly why you have made that decision. If they value your work, they may do something about it to get you to stay. If that is the kind of company it is though you probably would be happier elsewhere.

When you go, leave the guy in a real mess.

From85-01.jpgTosoftair-eagle.jpg
    And everything in between.
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kurt, your ethics are your ethics and I admire you for them. In your shoes, however, I'd set things up as others suggest, with some sort of timer or other hidden subroutine which, while not permanently damaging to the application, would cause it to crash in such a way that it would expose his inadequacies. Mean time, I'd be looking . . . hard. Above all else, DOCUMENT everything which has happened with hard facts. Usually there comes a time when it is ripe to drop the bricks, hard, on someone like this, and it's nice to have the heaviest load you can build. Damn, but I hate back-stabbing incompetents!

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the French." (Mark Twain) ". . . And DemoCraps" (me)