In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Going to Maine-need fishing advice.

salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
edited July 2005 in General Discussion
We are leaving for Maine tomorrow, going to be staying on a Lake in the down east region.
I want to bring a fishing pole, I have no idea what to get-specificially, do I get a "light" rod, or a "medium rod"-what kind of test should I have 4,6,10,20- I have no idea about freshwater fishing. what about lures? What kind of fish should I expect to catch? I am really goin about this very casually, I dont plan on spending a lot of time devoted to fishing-just looking for something to use when Im hanging out in the backyard.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
-Jimmy the cheese man

Comments

• Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    what lake Salzo? Maybe I can look it up, and see what kind of fishing is best on that particular lake.

Ben

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
    Play Ball!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ben- It is called "West Grand Lake",

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • Options
    woodshermitwoodshermit Member Posts: 2,589
    edited November -1
    http://www.state.me.us/ifw/fishing/index.htm

This is a pretty comprehensive source of information. Dig around and you will find depth maps, etc.

If you are into smallmouths, you can fish lightweight to ultralight for them and have a blast. They're off the beds now, but, you still be able to find plenty of action. One thing for sure, while you will have a near impossible task getting the locals to reveal their favored salmonid secrets, most anybody will let you know where to find bass. Enjoy your trip. Bring your bug dope! The watch out for moose signs you see on the highway are for real.
  • Options
    woodshermitwoodshermit Member Posts: 2,589
    edited November -1
    West Grand is a premier bass lake, although most widely known for early salmon fishing.
  • Options
    jdyerjdyer Member Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My friend, as a former ProAm Bass fisherman I can say that fishing is a science and an art. You ask many questions that have no easy answer. Since you aren't seriously spending time and money on it here's what I'd do:

Buy a Zebco rod & reel combo from Wal-Mart for under $25.00

Buy a small tackle set for about $7.00 (hooks, sinkers, bobers, etc)

Fish with crickets, worms, weiners, bread, paper, livers

Catch whatever bites - like sunfish/perch.

Screw Allah & Have a Great Day!
    faces.jpg
  • Options
    BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    I've never fished smallmouth bass, but I know they catch em on crank baits (bandits), and on soft plastics (tubes). Correct me if I'm wrong. Thats what they use on TV (hey what can I say? I'm from the South and we don't have any smallmouth).

Man's last hope... The Star Wars Kid.. Jedi Master!

axF69201.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I would get an Light Spinning rod w/ an open face reel spending no more than $35. I would use a 4lb "vanish" or "invisible" type FLOUROCARBON line. I would buy 2 kinds of clip bobbers. One a little smaller than a golf ball, and one about the size of a superball. Get a multipak of split shot. I would purchase size #4 and #2 aberdeen gold hooks. Total cost should be about $45.

That's a good start.

Maybe somebody else can suggest a good spinnerbait and/or rooster tail for you to use on the small mouth bass. I am not much of a smallie fisherman.

Ben

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
    Play Ball!!!
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,635 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My passion in the summer and fall is bass fishing. Here in Northern Illinois, this time of year I use 4 basic lures for smallies.

1. Inline spinners, generally Blue Fox, Silver with white skirt. These can be fished at different depths. I also have good luck with them fishing so that they ripple on the surface.

2. Roadrunners or other small jigs. When the fishing is slow, casting and letting them bump on the bottom.

3. Floating Rapala....3-4"

4. Spinnerbait, two blades, generally white but sometimes green or yellow if the water is stained. If there is anything feeling aggressive out there, they will usually hit one of these.

With the exception of the spinnerbait, the first three will generally work on Trout also.

Good luck, I hope you catch a stringer full...

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Liberals....
  • Options
    rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    I fish Meddybemps Lake not too far up the road from there.
    I use a light rod and any kind of medium sized spinner
    and you can't keep the smallmouths off the line.
    One after another for hours except they're all small
    10-12" but still a blast. I use 6lb ot 8lb test.
    "transplanted Pembroke boy,itching to go back"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ps:
    actually a 12"'er is not too common.
  • Options
    hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bring lots of bug replellant. i have fished for trout in Maine quite a few times, lot of mosquitoes and horse flies that will eeat you alive.

I think the best lure that will work anywhere in maine on trout is the Daredevil. Brook trout, lake trout, they go crazy for anything red. One of the best wet flies will be the Parmachinee Belle, again red and white, or a Micky Finn with a red streamer/ribbon
  • Options
    edited November -1
    remember, if using mosquito repellant not to get it on your bait or hooks.

Ben

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
    Play Ball!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishermanben
    remember, if using mosquito repellant not to get it on your bait or hooks.

Ben

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
    Play Ball!!!

Dont get it on the monofilament line either!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Both you guys have good points about the "bug off".
    I ain't no Charlie Moore but I don't use much caution
    when it comes to bait and bug spray and I do pretty good,
    of course maybe the fish I do catch aren't too fussy.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I donno, Used to do a bit of fishing in the Rangeley region .
    The more serious I was, the bigger the trout and landlocked salmon.
    Never had much luck in lakes during summer but worked streams and rivers. Those that did, trolled deep with wire lines during hours you want to be sleeping.
    Don't have expections if you go at it casually.
    Mid summer isn't the best time for trout and salmon. Ice-out in May is.
  • Options
    ginmartiniginmartini Member Posts: 250 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dynamite & net = dinner
  • Options
    ghotie_thumperghotie_thumper Member Posts: 1,561 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bring a nice fishing pole, leave it in the trunk, find an even nicer microbrewery. Sit down at a booth, order up some Maine Lobster, Drink Beer, Eat Lobster, Go fishing when the grunion run.

Common Sense is an Uncommon Virtue.
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    salzo, two more insect alerts - the Maine black flies can swarm in choking clouds and breed on moving water. If you find them where you are, you will want a mosquito net for your head, as the foolish things will go places you will never put repellant - up your nose, in your mouth, etc. - they have a substance in their saliva to which some folks have an allergic reaction . . . pretty rare, but it happens. At night, if there is any grass around your sleeping quarters, be careful to keep the light to a minimum - the gnats (noseeums in our local vernacular) can be ferocious and are small enough to pass through a standard screen.

Unless you are after landlocked salmon or going deep for lake trout, 4 to 6 pound test will do all you need. Some of the smaller trout species will produce some lunkers, but your odds of catching one fishing "casually" are damned low. I rarely try for smallmouth, but when I do, I've had good luck with minnow and crayfish imitations. Interestingly, I had a neighbor who had excellent luck with dry flies at dusk along the lake shores, but she was quite the angler, as well.

Someone else pointed out that the "watch for moose" warnings along the roads are serious. They are. We have a lot of moose in the north woods now. They are dumber than Ed Rendell and will total anything short of an M1A if hit. Fun to watch feeding in shallow water along the shore or in the marshes, though.

Last, but not least - welcome to God's country and enjoy your stay!

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the french." (Mark Twain)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Let's just suppose salzo can survive the black flies, moose attacks, Stepehn King story plots (rabid skunks) etc.

I haven't fished in Maine for almost twenty years, I'd rather talk fishing than mose attacks. I have fond memories of my years fishing the land where lakes are named by Indians and hard to pronounce. You can tell where someone is from by whether or not he can pronounce Passamaqouddyum.

I met a number of native new england fisherman that use some interesting techniques that seem unique to Maine and New Hampshire. These were usually old guys who use fly rods but not dry fly fishing techniques.

The old guys would swear by using a fin from a trout as a lure. these old guys will trim all the fins off of trout and save them for future use as lure, I guess you could call it bait. Several used a bright gold hook along with dried pice of trout fin.

These old guys always caught brook troot on this bait. Usually by letting the line drift down current. They would use fly rods, but wouldnt use traditional fly fishing techniques. The same guys would often use a worm on the end of a fly rod/line rig, something which seemed blasphemous to me as a "purist" fly fisherman. They would let the worm drift down a small stream for a hundred yards.

I saw enough of these old guys fishing and catching fish like this to make me believe that at one time, maybe a hundred years ago, it was probably accepted as the correct way to fish for trout in small new england streams.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Some of the best spinner baits for new england trout are the Mepps spinners. Mepps makes a whole serie of spinners designed for light tack spinning rigs. My favorite was the bucktail Mepps spinner with the deer hir tail and the red beads. I used to buy a dozen of these a year because I would lose so many but they worked so well that it was worth it to keep buying them.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    FCD,

I also like the Mepps spinner with the tiny rubber trout just above the treble hook. It's those treble hooks that make these lures so easy to lose, but they work real well snagging fish too.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    FCD / hughbetcha: yeah, but . . . salzo said "lake" fishing.

• Options
    edited November -1
    Lake fishing? What is a lake, if not but a river traveling round and round but going nowhere?

This is why they have canoes. Just paddle quietly around the edge of the lake after sunset and watch the trout starting to rise. Usually they will start rising in a linear pattern and you can predit where they will rise next...that's where you want to drop your #24 mosquito.

In the daytime you can canoe around the lake looking for sand bars and downed trees that make good cover and find bass and trout, sometimes giant pike or muskies that will swallow your lure slice your steel leader and almost swamp your canoe when they start thrashing around.

If you want to fish out in the middle of the lake, its a real pain. You have to set up trolling rigs going down a hundred feet or sometimes a lot more cause a lot of lakes are real deep and the lake trout live in the deep cold water. Some guys use lead core lines and exotic shiny rigs with baitfish or lures
  • Options
    edited November -1
    FCD - Das ist verrrry interestink . . . never seen a hint of interest in a Mepps on still water. But by the same token, I always carry several no matter what sort of fishing I'm doing . . . when the fish go for them, they *really* go for them! [^]

Hugh, where salzo asked about line test in the context of "very casual" fishing rather than patterns, I figured the fine details of presenting tiny dry flies were probably not on the radar - nor those involving deep water trolling in glacial lakes. Not disputing what you say, by any means, because you are correct.

• Options
    edited November -1
    A few years back I was up in the 3rd Machias lake off of
    Stud mill road and wearing one of those netted up hats.
    The black flies would somehow crawl up inside and bite the hell
    out of you.Had to keep taking the net off to get
    rid of the bugs trapped inside.We tried tightening the draw string until we damn near choked ourselves.We used so much bug
    spray we got kind of sick. It was miserable.
  • Options
    springer1springer1 Member Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From a boat or shore
    Get a 6' med rod
    say 8-10lb line ,Fish the creek mouths
    with spinners and tube baits
    soak some cut fish for cats
    at night
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all of the replies. Just got back after twelve hours on the road- Had traffic trouble near boston and Hartford.
    The place we stayed at was out of this world. What I saw of maine was truly amazing. I stopped off at Kittery trading post on the way up. I could have stayed there for ten hours.
    Turns out my wife bought me a fishing pole for our anniversary-it worked well. I used several diferent spinners(including "mepps"), and used these scented frog looking things. I caought a lot of fish, AND THEY WERE ALL LARGE MOUTH Bass. Everyone told me that small mouth would be the fish I catch, I guess they stock the lake. Most of them were small, but I caught a few legal ones also.
    My 10 year old niece got a bass., and my two year old daughter caught one on her pink barbie fishing pole(I had to help her reel it in).
    I lost a bunch of lures on the rocks-I guess you pro fishermen types got a way of avoiding losing your lures-not me. But I used the rowboat quite a bit, which worked well casue when a lure got stuck, I just reeled myself and the boat to the lure.
    Didnt see any moose- we were going to go on a guided trip, but no one was into getting up at 430 in the am-saw a few deer and lots of road kill porcupine.
    Went into the woods quite a bit, lot of them. I cant believe how thick it is-I cant imagine how Maine hunters cope with that stuff-so many pines. Also saw quite a few bald eagles fly right over our cabin, and saw porpoises, seals, and a few whales while in St. Andrews in Canada.
    Man what a trip. What the hell am I doing in Pennsylvania???

-Jimmy the cheese man
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My Aunt in Pembroke lives on Ox cove
    across from burnt island and puts chicken legs
    on a fashioned podium and the bald eagles
    swoop down and grab 'em.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by salzo:
    What the hell am I doing in Pennsylvania???
    Shhhh . . . northern New England is supposed to be classified "Top Secret" so it will stay that way!