In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Best deal you ever got?

SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
What's the best deal you ever got on a gun or gun's?

Mine would be when I was 14 I did farm work and yard work for two sisters and their brother. None of the three had ever married and all three lived together on their parents homestead. The year their brother past away the two sisters decided to give me all his guns which included two very old flintlocks and a 20ga, 16ga, & 12ga Ithaca model 37 featherlites plus they gave me his horse. I still have all of them minus the horse[:D]. I sure did a lot of extra work for them after that.

I also picked up a winchester 94 at a garage sale for $50 with the original box & packing slips. It wasn't a plain jane either.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent

Comments

• DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought two SIG 550s and two SIG 551s for $1500 each; I sold them three months later for $4500 each.
  • kriskris Member Posts: 973 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    well my cousin passed away..so i have been taking care om my aunt his mother who just turned 88!!..she gave me a 1897 winchester 30 takedown...44 ruger mag carbine...25 auto pistol..double barrel hamerless 12 ga....german derringer 22 cal....20 ga pump...410 single..12 ga single..marlin 22 cal semi auto rifle..plus all the ammo for each one...not only did i get the guns..but more inportant i got hours and hours of hunting stories from her about the old days with her and my uncle hunting trips

it is good that we meet in the struggle of life or death.. .....it shall be life!
  • Cyberdyne systemsCyberdyne systems Member Posts: 427 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    a WWII veteran gave me his German Luger and I also bought a Soviet SKS in un-issued condition all matching numbers for $100 cash
    no paper work, he just handed it to me and it was mine[:D]
  • LeveractionLeveraction Member Posts: 85 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just bought a Savage 99c 243 for $300 in mint condition, Ive been looking for a nice lever action 243 for a while now and this seemed to be a very good deal.

A buddy offered me $550 for it last week.
  • gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A 1980 cadillac coupe deville for 300 dollars turned around and sold it the next week for 1800. [:D]
  • gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A 1980 cadillac coupe deville for 300 dollars turned around and sold it the next week for 1800. [:D]
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    S&W 457--Excellent condition. $125 cash-and-carry
    Ruger Blackhawk (357) with Houge mono-grips--Excellent condition--$225 + S&H
    Para-Ordnance P-13 (NIB)/Stainless--$450
  • njretcopnjretcop Member Posts: 7,975
    edited November -1
    See my post: Thank You Neighbor, LOL!

vic.jpg

Charlie

"It's the stuff dreams are made of Angel"NRA Certified Firearms InstructorMember: GOA, RKBA, NJSPBA, NJ area rep for the 2ndAMPD. njretcop@copmail.com
  • BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    Besides having my Great Grandfather's
    Stevens mod.44 handed down to me about
    30 years ago,I have a Browning semi-auto
    .22 rifle(Belgium)that I traded a Rossi
    .38 snubby(Doorprize at a Ducks Unlimited thing
    and the company paid for the ticket)and an old
    beat-up .410 bolt action for.I paid $5 for
    the .410,so that means I have $5 in the Browning.[:D]

BW

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    njretcop, now how in the world did we manage that? I thought about my question yesterday, but never posted it till this morning.

[:)][:)][:)]

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • kuhlewulfkuhlewulf Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got a .44 rimfire colt revovler on a bulk trade with a guy who bought an auction lot of guns at an estate sale. He traded me all of the old "junk" including the 44rim, a S&W 41 mag and two Ruger stainless 375's (speed 6 and a security 6) for an NDM-54 and a MAK-90. I didn't realize what I had and traded it to another collector for an HK91. Oh well. The HK was stolen later that year.[:(] This had huge potential for "great deal" status, but now its just a heart breaking memory.[V]

James
    royalthaiarmy.gifrtaflag.jpg
    Do your troops train with live cobras? ROYAL THAI ARMY DOES!
  • duckyducky Member Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My father was looking for an older k-bar, and I gave him mine. In return, he gave me his galil, complete with a dozen 35rd mags.. [:)]
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    Two weeks before Kalifornia passed their assault weapons ban, I went to Portland's big annual gun show - about a 2 hour ride. A guy there with a table said he was paying $1800 each for NIB Steyr AUGs. Drove back to my local gunshop and bought the 2 they had for $800 each - with a bad check. Drove back to the gun show and sold them for $3600 cash, deposited the $1600 to cover the chack and walked off with 2 grand profit for basically 3 hours of extra driving.

If I knew then what I know now about AUGs....

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I repaired water damage on 7 long guns for a guy and he gave me a 1874 Sharps Business Rifle that belonged to Teddy Roosevelt.
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A friend was getting a divorce. Sold me all his guns. I won't say for how much, lets just say he did not want his (soon to be ex-) wife to get "anything" out of them. The deal was that I hang onto them for a year, so he could come back and buy them back for the same price. He never did.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    TRAP55 you being serious? Now that is something I would love to have..got any pictures you could e-mail me ?

• DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bought a Zephyr Uplander 28 gauge sxs for $100.00....sold it for a large profit.

"I AM MY OWN WORST ENEMY"
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Suspension, I had a shilen match barrel turned to the same specs and rebarreled it so i could shoot it. Original is packed in grease.People freak out and tell me i have ruined the value, i tell them it will never be for sale so it doesn't matter. Nothing but the barrel has been changed, and it can be put back like it was with no problem. T.R. gave it to Bill Grinell, who gave it to my friends dad along with his Colt lightning in .44 russian. The Colt has R.C.M.P. on it with their ser.#,and Colt ser.#877. It's in 95% condition too! I'm still working on him for that one. I'll try to e-mail you some pics in a week or two.
  • deerhntrdeerhntr Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got a New Remington 7400 off a Frustrated shooter on the range
    because it was shooting "all over the paper",I Gave him $200
    for it Because i just happed to have that on me to pay a Bill.
    The Rifle had loose scope mounts! once i properly mounted the scope it shoots 1 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards.

use_deer.jpg
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Colt Series 70 38 super for 80.00 and a Ruger Blackhawk for 90.00.

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"
  • rmeyerrmeyer Member Posts: 566 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Best deal I ever got was from a neighbor. I loaned him my utility trailer so he could move. He used it for 3 weeks and when he finished he gave me a nib Colt 22 auto for the cost of the ppt. It is a stainless bullbarrel with scope rail. It is my favorite plinker. Accurate and smooth shooting.
  • TazmuttTazmutt Member Posts: 862 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bought a "like new" Mossberg .410 pump for $125 from a classified ad out of town. The guy sent it to my house in a cut down carpet roll, wrapped in an old pair of leans. As I unwrapped it, I was dumbfounded ... The barrel was deep, deep, mirror blue. Stock and forend high grade walnut w/ cut checkering, etched reciever, jeweled bolt, raised checkered rib. I called my father who was collecting mossies at the time and he came right over. Turns out it was a Pederson, hand made in Mossberg custom shop in 1970, unfired. Funny this came up .... I just traded that gun for a Desert Eagle [:D][:p]

"A Fear of Weapons is a sign of Retarded Sexual
    and Emotional Maturity" Sigmund Freud
    "MOLON LABE !"
  • interstatepawnllcinterstatepawnllc Member Posts: 9,390
    edited November -1
    Oh you really don't want to know.[;)]

JC

Ted Kennedy's breath has killed more people than my car.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was admiring the collection of an old man, now gone. He said "take two" so I took a 44-40 Merwin Hulbert Pocket Army and an excellent 1903 Colt New Service revolver in 38-40.
  • beachmaster73beachmaster73 Member Posts: 3,011 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I was a kid we lived in Spain and my Dad went to the local flea markets...and they were real flea markets back then. This one guy in Seville used to have some amazing weapons. One of them was a First Model Remington Rolling Block pistol. It didn't have a trigger guard protecting the trigger. My dad knew what it was and told the guy he couldn't pay full price for a gun missing its trigger guard. the guy lowered his price to about $17.50. My dad bought it and sold it in the 60's for about $230 or so...good profit. I still have an English Sea Service Tower flintlock(c1780) that my Dad bought for the enormous sum(at the time) $50. It's actually in better condition than the one I saw at the Tower of London collection. My Dad tried to sell that pistol in the 60's at gunshows across the midwest for $295 and never got a bite. I figure that it's going to my youngest son when he's old enough to appreciate just what it is. Beach
  • crosshaircrosshair Member Posts: 635 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was at a fellows house installing floor covering several years ago and he was going to have a yard sale the following day. He asked me if I would like to have first looks at his items. Joking I asked if he had any guns for sale and he said as a matter of fact I do. I bought from him an old Ivor Johnson 12 guage single shot and a H&R 22 mag. revolver. I got both for 35.00 a piece. Not worth a whole lot more but was the cheapest I ever paid for two guns that were in such good shape!

Believe nothing that you hear and only one half of what you see!!
  • HUNT WALKERSHUNT WALKERS Member Posts: 362 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Best deal I've found was about ten years ago on a NIB ruger red hawk 41 mag for $275 and a Henry 22 rifle off of a $2 raffle ticket about five years ago
  • wipalawipala Member Posts: 11,067
    edited November -1
    Mudge got a new gun for his wife. I wonder who made that trade[:D][}:)][:D][}:)][:D][}:)][;)]

Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: And he that hath no sword,let him sell his garment, and buy one
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Right after I'd paid $25 for a specimen for my own collection, I saw an ad in Shotgun News for some .223 Caseless ammo @$20 a box. Called the guy and asked how many boxes he had - I bought all three for $50. Traded off a dozen of them to the dealer who'd sold me mine, retail for retail, against more goodies, have sold others over time for prices ranging up to $60 each, traded a few others for some really exotic CSA combustible cartridges and still have about thirty left. Then there were the two $150+ rounds I picked up last weekend for $1. Not as a big a score as some of the firearms deals above, but really floated my boat.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the French." (Mark Twain) ". . . And DemoCraps" (me)