In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

The Ballad of Carl Drega

flat8flat8 Member Posts: 887 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Anybody read this book by Vin Suprynowicz? If so, what do you think? I'm currently about half-way through it, and I have to say, this guy makes sense.

Comments

• IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've not read it, nor would I. As a native and resident of northern NH, I'm reasonably familiar with the case. Drega was about as nutso as they come, not withstanding the validity (or not) of his beefs with the town authorities of Colebrook. He murdered two State troopers in cold blood, then invaded the building where one of his antagonists worked and murdered some people there who had no dogs in his fight with the authorities. Then he fled over into VT, shot one or two of the LEOs who were chasing him and, if not for a K-9 unit, would have ambushed the rest from the rear. Before he left on his revenge spree, he set fire to buildings on his property - *after* setting up booby traps to take out the volunteer firemen he knew would respond. And he had tunnels & spider holes all over the place. He was a Class A fruitcake, a mad dog, a poster boy for the really kooky super far right (or left), and anything which portrays him otherwise is dead wrong. However legitimate his beefs with the town authorities (and in rural northern NH, the town officials tend to be very reasonable local folks), killing five (?) people in cold blood and attempting to kill many more wholly unrelated to his issues is not the act of a rational person. I'd take what you read in the book with a healthy dose of salt.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the French." (Mark Twain) ". . . And DemoCraps" (me)