In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I became a statistic in May.

BoomerangBoomerang Member Posts: 4,513
edited June 2002 in General Discussion
I will make it brief. On May 31, 2002, 9:15 am, while at my office, my truck was broken into and my power tools were stolen. I chased the thief and got to within 15 feet of him, but he was driving off. I called the police to report the theft in hopes that could catch him. (FYI, the police sub station is less than 1500 feet from my office.) It took them 20 minutes to respond. I gave them a complete description of thief, and the car along with license number. Get this, there were 6 witnesses to this theft, and no one did anything. Most everyone said that they could not believe it was happening in front of their eyes. The police took the report and have yet to follow up on anything.

This makes me mad, no wonder this country is in such a state. Essentially the police told me this happens all the time and they would file a report. They never had any intent to do anything about it. Now, in order to get the police report I have to pay $18. Talk about getting robbed twice, this is ridiculous.

Boomer

"Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as it is by the obstacles which one has overcome while trying to succeed."

Comments

• Options
    steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My truck was stolen a few years ago. The police called once to ask if I had found it and thats been it. The fact is there are so many thefts the police are buried and just can't investigate them all. I appreciate the local police but know that if a crime is happening it would be sheer luck that the police would arrive to stop it.
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm sorry to hear about your mishaps. However, why should the taxpayer have to pay for your police report?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ids, I don't understand your reply. First, why should a two page photo copy of a police report cost $18? This should be a free service to the victim, or $0.50 at most. Second, I am a tax payer and have been for 50 years. What have my taxes gone for all these years? Third, if I had known the police would have not done anything, I would never have called them begin with. This has been a complete waste of my time.

Lastly, no wonder the thiefs and robbers fear little, the police are so swamped they are not doing their jobs. That is with the exception of setting up speed traps for the honest taxpayers. If you are speeding, broke, driving without a license, your vehicle is smoking up a storm, you get a free pass.

Boomer, a pissed off taxpayer

"Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as it is by the obstacles which one has overcome while trying to succeed."

Edited by - Boomerang on 06/30/2002 12:32:10
  • Options
    thesoundguy1thesoundguy1 Member Posts: 680
    edited November -1
    Boomerang-I had a similar situation when my apartment was burglarized.
    Had eyewitnesses,tag number,all the stuff I needed to"help" the police
    make an arrest.There was a report, and nothing else.
    My only conclusion is that I was not an important enough person in
    society.I hold no political office,was not connected to anyone who
    was,and lived in a working class neighborhood.As an ordinary citizen
    you and I hold no power to force the police to do their jobs.
    I,and several of my loved ones over the years,have been the victim of
    burglary,robberies,and other violent crimes.(I have been victimized
    severl times myself).All of it ending with "law enforcement"telling
    me there is nothing they can do.So I make no bones about the fact that
    I have sought my own justice since that last incident that I descibe
    above.I haven't had to bury anyone(yet),but I have gotten satisfaction, and my property back!

www.waveformwear.com
    fighting censorship...with an attitude

Edited by - thesoundguy1 on 06/30/2002 12:45:54

Edited by - thesoundguy1 on 06/30/2002 12:46:27
  • Options
    NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have every right to be mad.First Im sorry for your loss.If I were you I would file a complaint with the Mayor,sometimes it helps.Hope you get your tools back.

Rugster
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:
    Ids, I don't understand your reply. First, why should a two page photo copy of a police report cost $18? This should be a free service to the victim, or $0.50 at most. Second, I am a tax payer and have been for 50 years. What have my taxes gone for all these years?

I knew this would get interesting. First, I don't dispute the fact that $18 is a bit exhorbitant when they are probably only going to use a few cents worth of paper and a few minutes of some employee's time who probably only gets paid about $9/hour anyway. However, if it was a free service then they would have to raise taxes to pay for that free service. There is no free lunch. Your taxes all these years have gone to pay for many things. Your taxes all these years have already been spent. It doesn't take an accountant to figure out that they can't take a single penny that you paid in taxes in years gone by to pay for your services right now. They can lower taxes by charging individuals for specific services (i.e. copies of police reports). Actually, charging the individual for the individual's services is an incredibly conservative step. I'm actually rather impressed that they don't raise everyone's taxes so that everyone else can pay for your photocopies. The fact remains that there is no "free" lunch. It has to be paid by someone. Just because you are in the "VICTIM" block on the police report doesn't entitle you to taxpayer money. You've paid your taxes and, apparently, those taxes have gone to fund everything else that your local government needs to function. Simple accounting pretty much explains my previous reply.

Like many other activities (i.e. golfing, going to a baseball game, walking down the street) there is a certain level of risk assumed when you purchase a vehicle. That is why you buy insurance. That is why insurance premiums go down when you install security systems on your vehicle. Why should I pay the same insurance premium on my vehicle if I have a security system and you don't? If I don't drive a vehicle and choose to walk to and from work everyday or ride a bicycle, why should I have to pay more in taxes to pay for your police report when I don't even drive? You may laugh because 50 cents doesn't seem like much to you. However, you may be interested enough to ask your local police department how much they spend in paper and toner cartriges every year for people who need police reports. You may be surprised.

I will agree with you, however, that there is some serious price gouging going on at your police department.

Edited by - idsman75 on 06/30/2002 14:04:00

Edited by - idsman75 on 06/30/2002 14:05:24

Edited by - idsman75 on 06/30/2002 14:07:14
  • Options
    MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The cops are too busy chasing down "bad" pot smokers.

Good luck, they won't do anything.

Merc

NO! You may not have my guns! Now go crawl back into your hole!

"Tolerating things you may not necessarily like is part of being free" - Larry Flynt
  • Options
    Judge DreadJudge Dread Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Use the $18 to get the license plate registry ,then buy the get even
    book from paladin press and get even at the guy ....

Or just have your own Area "security team" deal with the stuff ,repo guys work sometimes for "free" just to get this scumm to the hands of the "law","check you local militia groups."

In My area we had one guy captured last week ...Car theft...In ten minutes ,police only picked him up ,if they dont they get fired.

JD

Good...? , Bad...? Who cares ? as long I am the one with the the gun.....
  • Options
    ghost614ghost614 Member Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sorry about your the loss of your stuff.
  • Options
    joeaf1911a1joeaf1911a1 Member Posts: 2,962 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Idsman: Dont know if you are real: Being a victim he should have at
    least a fair price of maybe $1.00 like we have here for any copy of
    a Police report. Being a crime perpertrator one gets a free lawyer
    if he wants. Just who do you think pays for this option? And this just aint like toner and paper costs. As far as insurance costs and
    alarms on vehicles, that does not enter into a crime factor. Seems
    like you, and many others, laugh at vicims of crime until it happens
    to you.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Did I not say that the $18 price was exhorbitant? READ MY POST!

I was making an analogy with regards to my bit about insurance. Apparently you didn't grasp that.

Okay, let's say the the price is $1. Why should I have to pay it? The perp has a right to the defense but the copy that Boomerang is requesting does not pertain to the prosecution. My guess is that he is getting that copy of the report for insurance purposes.

If someone is following me too closely on the road and rear-ends me, should I be entitled to a free copy of the report for my insurance purposes because I was the VICTIM of someone else's criminal negligence? They were breaking the law and I became a victim of that crime. No, I am not entitled to a free copy. Why should you have to pay for my copy even if it is just $1.00?

I don't laugh at victims. I just don't follow the mentality that it is the tax-payer's responsibility to take care of everyone that has a problem. That is what insurance is for. If you can't afford a simple paperwork fee (I already agreed that the $18 is exhorbitant) then how are you going to afford the deductible that you will have to pay in order to recoup your losses from the insurance company?

It is the job of the police to prevent crime, take reports, investigate crimes, gather evidence etc.... They already have the paperwork that they need in order to do this (yes, I know they are doing a crummy job of it). Then you walk in and request copies of that paperwork for purposes that are completely unrelated to their function as law enforcement officers. Why SHOULDN'T they charge a fee? I pay taxes so that the cops can do their jobs. I don't pay taxes in order to fund activity that is completely unrelated to the function of government. If you want copies and the cops are willing to lend you the original report so you can make your own, it IS STILL GOING TO COST YOU at Kinkos. Please explain to me why other taxpayers should be spending their money on functions completely unrelated to the basic activities of the police department?

Edited by - idsman75 on 06/30/2002 16:30:54
  • Options
    offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think the point is that the cops sometimes don't have much bedside manner when it comes to dealing with the citizens who are victims of smaller crimes. When you can buy a xerox copy for a dime in any store, it is irritating that they couldn't help him out. You can bet if he had a friend on the force he'd have a copy of the report for nothing, and no one would have been excessively put out by it in terms of either time, energy or the cost of paper stock. I'm with Boomerang -- at least they could have gone through the motions of doing what they can for the poor guy, since they could apparently do so little. I'd say, take that license plate number and figure a way to find the guy. The likelihood that he bothered to steal a truck to steal your tools is low, though possible. Once you find the guy, see what you can see when the garage door is up, maybe call the cops and ask an officer to meet you at the location about some stolen property. A guy like this doesn't do this just once. He's probably got a lot of people's stuff by now. But he may not keep it; he may sell it. So who knows if he'll be in possession of anything when you do find him. Tricky business.

- Life NRA Member
    "If cowardly & dishonorable men shoot unarmed men with army guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary...and not by general deprivation of constitutional privilege." - Arkansas Supreme Court, 1878
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just so you can grasp the analogy...let's break it down.

quote:
    Step #1 Introducing the Analogy: Like many other activities (i.e. golfing, going to a baseball game, walking down the street) there is a certain level of risk assumed when you purchase a vehicle. That is why you buy insurance. That is why insurance premiums go down when you install security systems on your vehicle. Why should I pay the same insurance premium on my vehicle if I have a security system and you don't?

Step #2 Bridging the Gap Between the Analogy and the Subject At Hand: If I don't drive a vehicle and choose to walk to and from work everyday or ride a bicycle, why should I have to pay more in taxes to pay for your police report when I don't even drive? I will agree with you, however, that there is some serious price gouging going on at your police department.

Here's the point. If I choose not to drive why should I pay more in taxes for your paperwork just because your VICTIM status "entitles" you to free paper and ink? I choose not to undertake the risks that you undertake when you decide to be a vehicle owner. Owning and operating a vehicle is not a right, it is a priviledge. When you embark upon the exercise of a priviledge and assume risks along the way, why should I have to pay for it?

I drive. However, there are plenty of taxpayers that don't. That is why I was trying to make the point. It wouldn't take much of a tax increase to pay for the cost of this type of paperwork when you spread the costs over the entire taxpayer base but it is the principle of the matter that I am trying to hit home.
  • Options
    will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    Here's how you buck the system. When your insurance company requests the police report, get them to send a copy. Most often they will be glad to do it. Insurance companies are the only people silly enough to pay $18 for a silly police report. That's way outta hand, an admin fee of no more than $1 should be required.

~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • Options
    dandydandy Member Posts: 221 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry for your loss and the frustration with the police. I know how you feel. About 6 months ago my daughter let in some of her new friends. She was out of school because she had been very ill. She fell asleep on the couch and while she was out they ransacked the house stealing jewelery my knife collection all my cd's and a NAA pistol. One dropped his ID out of his pocket and I found it later. I turned in the names to the police and they said it was a well known group of gang bangers and this was how they operated. They showed me at least 10 reports like mine that had happeded in 10 months. I later found a witness to the fact that one still possessed my pistol. I would call the detective frequently but nothing was happening . They had even picked one up for a PI and just let them go.It became evident that other than having a hard talk with my daughter nothing was gonna happen. Well a couple of months ago one called my daughter wanting his ID back!! He came to the door and raised hell with my daughter's boyfriend and quickly left in a loud pickup. It would scream by my house every few minutes. The boyfriend and I went outside( it was nighttime) and I hid behind my pickup . They saw him and locked the brakes up and stopped and began yelling at him to come out in the street and fight. He tried to get them in the yard but they wouldn't. THen the passenger got out with a bat coming at him. He never saw me slip to the side and I yelled at him to drop the bat.He paid VERY close attention when he saw the Glock , dropped the bat and raised his arms up like the Dallas cowboys had juat gotten an Emmit Smith touchdown!!!I stuck my pistol to the back of his head and told him my intentions if he wasn't friendly.Meanwhile the driver just looked on in fear. The boyfriend covered the outside punk while I went to the driver door and opened it and stuck the pistol to his head. He was the one who had ripped me off my daughter told me and the other one was his brother who had just gotten out of prison.I started telling this punk the riot act when he started crying and TOLD ME HE WAS GOING TO CALL THE POLICE ON ME!!! I completely lost it and began pistol whipping 5-6 times before I came to my senses.( I wished I had grabbed the Ruger Mark 2 instead of the polymer Glock)I told him I would wear his ID around my neck so anytime he wanted itjust come get it,and let them go. So far he has not taken up my offer. I was furious, mainly because I knew that if he had called the police I would have been the one going to jail. Sorry for this being so long I just started venting
    Dandy
  • Options
    joeaf1911a1joeaf1911a1 Member Posts: 2,962 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Idaman 75 : You still go back to the insurance company. Well great
    for you. It is a wonder why insurance goes up and up with people like
    you? We pay the police plenty, for protection which we never seem to
    get when we need it. Is your idea to have insurance insead of protection from the police? Then why pay for both??? Just allow
    them to rob, rape and kill and then sue them. Defination of NEW
    conservative is: "old liberal whose mother has just been assaulted".
  • Options
    edited November -1
    joe--

You totally missed the boat man. Whiny "conservatives" that expect the police to be everywhere at all times and stop all crimes as soon as they have a window broken and a tool or two stolen just crack me up because then they start whining when there are cops all over the place and they start calling it a "police state". Suddenly we don't have any freedoms and we are always getting pulled over and boo hoo hoo. I know exactly what a cop's job is. The fact of the matter is that these types of crimes are INCREDIBLY difficult to solve. It ALL comes back to insurance!!! Why do you think he wanted copies of the report? To keep in the bathroom in case the toilet paper ran out? It's INCREDIBLY liberal to expect the taxpayer to foot the bill just because I'm a "VICTIM". I'm not making excuses for the cops but his beef shouldn't be about the fact that he was charged for the paperwork. His beef should be with the AMOUNT he was charged but not the FACT that he was charged. That is the ONLY point I was trying to make! I was talking about stinking photocopies!

Anyone who expects the police to be everywhere at all times and does not carry insurance because they expect the police to protect them is a moron! Police do not have a responsibility to "protect" individuals. They have a responsibility to the GENERAL PUBLIC. What are you going to do? Sue the police department because they didn't stop someone from smashing your window and stealing your stereo? Get real! The courts have determined that the responsibility of the police is to the general public and not to individuals. Hence, individuals can't sue the police department for not preventing a crime because it is impossible to prevent ALL crimes.

Also, I never implied that the police should be replaced by insurance or that they shouldn't have to do their jobs because we have insurance. My point was that the taxpayer shouldn't have to pay for report copies that are being sent to the insurance company when something like this happens because the insurance claim has NOTHING to do with law enforcement activity--THAT'S what I'm paying taxes for!
    BTW. Stop griping about how much police get paid. The average welder gets paid more than the average cop does around here.

Edited by - idsman75 on 06/30/2002 19:38:25
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,009 ******
    edited November -1
    At our house, a crime report copy will cost you $.20 per page. Five pages for a buck. Fee defrays the cost of photocopying. Accident reports cost a lot more, but that is set by state law, and we can't change that.

In most jurisdictions, breaking into a truck and carrying off some tools is still a misdemeanor, unless those were some REAL EXPENSIVE tools. I know it is a big deal to you, and it should be a big deal to the cops, but there are LOTS of unsolved misdemeanor crimes out there, and yours is just one of the lot.

I feel for you, just as I feel for crime victims I deal with every day. There just is no solution to the problem. There ain't enough of us to go around, and if there were, you wouldn't want to pay the taxes to make it so.

Interestingly, in Texas, the law allows the use of deadly force to stop someone from getting away with your property at night. I don't recommend it, but it is allowed.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com, the best gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net
  • Options
    RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Tools are the only way of me making a Living and putting Food on the Table.
    My Truck is the only Transportation I have to get to the Job Site.
    Without These I can't survive.
    In my Eyes that gives me the Right to use Deadly Force.
    I can do that in FL. in PA. you can't.

"At our house, a crime report copy will cost you $.20 per page".

NUNN,
    You must live and work in a very small town if the Police Station is in your house. Is your Jail in the Basement? Do you hold Court in the Kitchen?
    just kidding

Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Nunn -The bast#$d got away with about $1,500 worth of my best power tools. What gets me the most is the police made no attempt to do anything that I am able to ascertain, that is other than take a report. I understand they are over worked, but to not do anything really gets me. It is almost like a unspoken deal exists between the criminals and the police. The criminals steal, the police make a report, and they both prosper off the misfortune of the victims / honest taxpayers. Sorry for the bitterness, but this is the way I see it.

Saxon, if their job is not "To protect and serve", then take it off the cruisers. In Memphis, they don't even keep the peace. Hell, they didn't even want to take finger prints.

Boomer, still pissed

• Options
    sodbustersodbuster Member Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Several years ago this guy I know had his new Harley stolen while he was touring the Harley plant in Kansas City. He ran his cell phone batteries down trying to get a cop to respond. It was parked in the parking lot at the plant not far from the security guards. I don't know exactly what this bike was called but it had a springer front end leather saddle bags and lots of gold and chrome plating. If I remember right even the seat was leather with fringe and chrome or gold buttons. Well the bike wasn't replaceable so his insurance bought him a dresser. Luckily our Harley Dealer had a bike there for him to ride home.
    As far as police reports go it cost's 2 bucks for us to get one in these here parts..
    Boomerang, the loser probably stole your stuff to get a FIX. Man its just sick, a scumbo steals a person's livelehood, sells it cheap just to get HIGH! And nobody cares. I'm sorry for your loss!

"Just my opinion."
  • Options
    AlpineAlpine Member Posts: 15,054 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Boomer: What you didn't see was that a broadcast was most likely made at the first units getting the info from you. That would alert all units to be on the lookout for the description you gave them. If you can identify the crook, and the agency does not have access to a computerized fingerprint system, dusting for prints becomes less important, and getting serial numbers of stolen tools is more important. Let your insurance company pay for the report (that what they are there for), but you will not get much out of it. It will only lay out the elements of the crime. But please check the property list to make sure it is complete. The real work comes after the dust settles and the detective works on the case. He may not share what he learns, as this might comprise his investigation.
    Good luck on getting your stuff back.

"If you ain't got pictures, I wasn't there."
    ?The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other people's money.?
    Margaret Thatcher

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics."
    Mark Twain
  • Options
    4wheeler4wheeler Member Posts: 3,441
    edited November -1
    I live in a small community and sometimes my brain works a little slow. Will someone please explain why with the license plate number they cannot be caught? I UNDERSTAND THAT PLATES AND OR VEHICLE MIGHT HAVE BEEN STOLEN BUT THIS WAS NOT MENTIONED.

"It was like that when I got here".
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Boomer, I truly feel your rage. But the problem is, as nunn said, too many crimes, not enough assets, at least in metro areas. I rather like the deal going on in southern Mass right now where one of the sheriffs is charging the prisoners for room & board to defray the cost to the taxpayers. It may - likely will - be tossed out, but it makes a lot of sense to me. Hard to believe anything so logical could happen in that political cesspool, but with so much fertilizer about, I guess anything is possible. The weird / scary thing is that JD's post made sense, also. I think I need to check my meds. But then, I always liked those Bronson flicks where he played vigilante.