In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Computer help - anyone!

IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
OK, nearly have sys back to normal (recognizing this is a relative term). I use MS for my browser, NS for my email and third party apps for other purposes. My problems stemmed from NS so I bit the bullet and downloaded the newest version, against my desires, but necessary. Of course, it immediately installed itself as the default across the suite of apps. I've fixed that, but one detail is driving me nuts. At some point, it appears to have fried the MS icons for various file formats associated with the Internet. I've corrected most of this, but cannot find good icon for .jpg and .gif files. The MS version is gone and I spent the best part of three hours searching my system and the net in the wee hours of this morning trying to find some decent substitute . . . unsucessfully. Can one of you post the MS (or a third party) .gif or .ico files so I can copy and proceed with the associate function so my directories display distinct and intuitive images.

Can't believe all the "cute" icons out there in electronic la-la land, but I just want something simple . . . preferably the originals.

TIA!

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the French." (Mark Twain)

Comments

• bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Icon, one of the easiest ways I've found to re-allocate the correct program and/or icon is to go to windows explorer and choose tools, then folder options then select the File Types tab.
    From here you can fix them various ways, but what I normally do is simply delete the extension from the list. In other words, scroll down to find the *.gif extension then delete it. Then open a file with the *.gif extension and it will ask you what program you want to use to open it. I'll assume you know what program you want to use.
    If you don't want to do that, you can scroll down to *.gif like you would have done above, but this time you would choose advanced, then choose Change Icon. The filename of the icon on my XP pro machine for both the *.gif and *.jpg is "shimgvw.dll". It actually has several icons within that file. On my machine the default location for this file is: C:\WINDOWS\system32 if you don't have it drop me an email and I'll send it to you.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jeeze, bambi, where were you at 0130 EST? I didn't think of simply deleting the offending association, but I tried all sorts of convoluted exercises and searches, both on my sys and out in the wide world of the net, finally playing french at 0400 or later (then couldn't sleep because I was so PO'd with MacroCrap OS and Netscape's usurption of the file associations!).

Thanks, amigo.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the French." (Mark Twain)