In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

30-06 sabot accelerators

Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
has anyone ever shot sabot accelerators in a rifle? I'd like to try 30-06 with a .223/4 bullet and wonder how the accuracy is with these things?

I'm going prairie dog hunting this year and thought it may be an ideal setup....must mention I've never hunted prairie dogs.

kabalogoshadowed.gif

Comments

• 925925 Member Posts: 441 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    my 3006 has 1/12" rifleing which is not fast enough for stability. haven't tried them.
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Red, depending on your set where your gonna hunt prairie dogs. I had a total blast shootin' 'em last year with a .22 (10/22) that wasn't even very accurate. With the quieter report from the .22 they don't run and hide as quickly as they do with high-power. A buddy that I went with was shooting a lot of .22 centerfires and of course the effects were a lot more instant but we still had a lot of fun and carnage.
    Here's the link to our hunt (there's some gun pics on there, along with some very graphic pics, so use discretion):

http://bambihunter.myftp.org/images/PrairieDogHunt/

The 10mm - either you've got it, or you don't get it...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • greeker375greeker375 Member Posts: 3,644
    edited November -1
    I have about 4 boxes left from a purchase over 20 yrs ago. As I recall, there was ZERO recoil and at about 50-70 yds they were moderately accurate, but, not enough for GH's...that's why they are still unfired.
    Good thought - a new giveaway item?

"the difference between the almost right word and the right word is like the difference between a lightning bug and a lightning bolt" - Mark Twain.
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Based on my personal experience and the reviews I've seen, the sabot .22 in a .30 don't shoot as accurately as the correct caliber. Increased velocity is the only advantage, but accuracy (and thus hit probability) starts declining somewhere below 100 yards, as greeker noted. I've never hunted paririe dogs, but it is my understanding it is unusual to have a shot under 200 yards. If you want accuracy with a .22 bullet, you need a .22 bore.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the French." (Mark Twain)