In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Need Help opinions

kenneth and melissakenneth and melissa Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I won a p89 the seller and i have emailed each other i asked him can i send a postal money order and asked for his information, i want to do a postal money order because he has no feedback and is new to the site . He told me he wanted me to pay with paypal. Even after i told him they dont accept firearm payments. He has not even asked me to send a ffl ? Says he can ship after the paypal payment is made . I'm kinda of worried about doing this transaction. Kenneth

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let people have guns ...why should we let them have ideas? --Joseph Stalin

Comments

• n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Dont do it his way....do it the way you are required by law and the way you feel most comfortable with....

Paypal wont accept it, so dont even attempt it..

cute_skunk.gif

Lil' Stinker's Opinion

Hudson.gif
  • kenneth and melissakenneth and melissa Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have requested his mailing address and full name in 4 emails and i still haven't got it .quote:Originally posted by BlackRoses
    Dont do it his way....do it the way you are required by law and the way you feel most comfortable with....

Paypal wont accept it, so dont even attempt it..

cute_skunk.gif

Lil' Stinker's Opinion

Hudson.gif

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let people have guns ...why should we let them have ideas? --Joseph Stalin
    edited November -1
    If its on GB, you can get the contact info pretty easy from what I remember....including his phone number if I remember right..

cute_skunk.gif

Lil' Stinker's Opinion

Hudson.gif
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Sounds very strange. I wouldn't follow his directions.

P89's are easy to find so don't risk it.

"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
    edited November -1
    Yes it is on gunbrokers quote:Originally posted by BlackRoses
    If its on GB, you can get the contact info pretty easy from what I remember....including his phone number if I remember right..

cute_skunk.gif

Lil' Stinker's Opinion

Hudson.gif

edited November -1
    Try phoning him if you have his phone number...He may be unaware of the law in sending guns, albeit hand or long or whatever...may also be unaware of the policy of paypal....Its much easier to talk on the phone than via emails....

Give it a shot, if nothing else, you can walk away....

cute_skunk.gif

Lil' Stinker's Opinion

Hudson.gif
  • SilverBoxSilverBox Member Posts: 2,347
    edited November -1
    Whats the timespan? How long has your communications been going on?

If its over 2 weeks I'd ditch the sell and leave the seller bad feedback. Sounds a bit too fishy.
    edited November -1
    I have got his number from gunbrokers just now im gonna try to call and see where that goes.I dont want to walk away and take a negative . quote:Originally posted by BlackRoses
    Try phoning him if you have his phone number...He may be unaware of the law in sending guns, albeit hand or long or whatever...may also be unaware of the policy of paypal....Its much easier to talk on the phone than via emails....

Give it a shot, if nothing else, you can walk away....

cute_skunk.gif

Lil' Stinker's Opinion

Hudson.gif

• Chaser11Chaser11 Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [?] Is that paypal policy only on Ebay? I think. Because you can send payment to any one and they have no way to know what it is for if its' not an Ebay auction. Fleaby doesn't allow firearms and now that paypal is part of the Fleabay ...i don't know it just seemed funny the first time I read PP would send money for a firearm..as they are only a banking /transfer enitity. I've sent payments with pal pal and never had to list what it was for ,where it says auction .ebay etc,just ck other.maybe i'm missing something if so help me out here. As for the seller,if after a ph. call you are not satified he is legit .bail out, ya might be getting a hot gun. [xx(]

American used to Roar like Lions for Liberty- Now they Bleat like Sheep for Security.
    Always Remember Security without Liberty is called PRISON! -
    edited November -1
    Or i might not get one at all !!!quote:Originally posted by Chaser11
    [?] Is that paypal policy only on Ebay? I think. Because you can send payment to any one and they have no way to know what it is for if its' not an Ebay auction. Fleaby doesn't allow firearms and now that paypal is part of the Fleabay ...i don't know it just seemed funny the first time I read PP would send money for a firearm..as they are only a banking /transfer enitity. I've sent payments with pal pal and never had to list what it was for ,where it says auction .ebay etc,just ck other.maybe i'm missing something if so help me out here. As for the seller,if after a ph. call you are not satified he is legit .bail out, ya might be getting a hot gun. [xx(]

American used to Roar like Lions for Liberty- Now they Bleat like Sheep for Security.
    Always Remember Security without Liberty is called PRISON! -

• He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,465 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    K&M, keep us posted on how this goes.

He Dog
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    PayPal is owned by eBay now, and their policy is general, not limited to eBay auctions only. They don't pay for guns, as I understand it, and they won't insure them if you do sneak a payment through and lose your money. There are too may P89s in the world to take any risks. As a member on GB, he is bound to follow their directives as you are, not to mention the law regarding shipping and reciept by an FFL dealer. If he won't deal because you're not willing to break GB rules, it's his problem. Sellers don't make the rules; not when they conflict with the auction site.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
    edited November -1
    I'll keep you all posted in what happens . I tried to call but he's not there i left a message. I'm gonna try to call again tonight.quote:Originally posted by He Dog
    K&M, keep us posted on how this goes.

He Dog

• Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What did he list as payment options? Unless he clearly stipulated PayPal only (which we know won't work unless you dummy up the nature of the transaction) then you have the right to pay by other options that he said he would take, and if he did not stipulate his payment options then the field is wide open.

This sounds totally "hinky" and I suggest that you don't go there. From time to time you get twits that are either running scams, or they are just playing games and really don't have anything to sell.

Assuming you have established f'bak on GB and I hope you've saved your emails with this guy so you can simply put together an email to GB documenting this BS and get the twit kicked off w/o your ending up w/ a negative.

Remember, most scammers are long gone to another address before the Postal Inspector arrives in response to your complaint.

If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
    edited November -1
    I have 9 positives A+ here to date soon to be 10 , and 174 positves with no negatives on ebay . I always pay fast and im easy to deal with quote:Originally posted by Contender Man
    What did he list as payment options? Unless he clearly stipulated PayPal only (which we know won't work unless you dummy up the nature of the transaction) then you have the right to pay by other options that he said he would take, and if he did not stipulate his payment options then the field is wide open.

This sounds totally "hinky" and I suggest that you don't go there. From time to time you get twits that are either running scams, or they are just playing games and really don't have anything to sell.

Assuming you have established f'bak on GB and I hope you've saved your emails with this guy so you can simply put together an email to GB documenting this BS and get the twit kicked off w/o your ending up w/ a negative.

Remember, most scammers are long gone to another address before the Postal Inspector arrives in response to your complaint.

If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!

• competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just pulled up the auction--I'd spend a little time before walking away from it--the price is very good. He doesn't sound unreasonable in his description--but that can be faked.

Have you run a reverse phone look-up to make sure his phone, name and address match?

The auction does have all payment options choosen--including the "money order."

He talks about selling the gun to get a smaller one for concealed carry, so I expect he understands shipping must be to an FFL. Maybe he's thinking he set the Buy Now price too low and wants you to back out of the deal? He could probably get that much in trade at a dealer; he may see this "payment issue" as a way to kill the deal?
    edited November -1
    Yeah i dont want to walk away from it thanks quote:Originally posted by competentone
    I just pulled up the auction--I'd spend a little time before walking away from it--the price is very good. He doesn't sound unreasonable in his description--but that can be faked.

Have you run a reverse phone look-up to make sure his phone, name and address match?

The auction does have all payment options choosen--including the "money order."

He talks about selling the gun to get a smaller one for concealed carry, so I expect he understands shipping must be to an FFL. Maybe he's thinking he set the Buy Now price too low and wants you to back out of the deal? He could probably get that much in trade at a dealer; he may see this "payment issue" as a way to kill the deal?

edited November -1
    I talked to him on the phone seems like a really nice guy . We worked it out . I sent him a copy of my ffl transfer and a postal money order [:D]

• MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,823 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sending a postal money order DOES NOT PROTECT YOU FROM FRAUD!!!!!!!!

UNLESS THE AMOUNT IS $10K OR MORE, THE POST OFFICE WILL NOT HELP YOU!!!!

Merc

Insignia?

Nos nullus habitum rancidum insignia!

"Tolerating things you may not necessarily like is part of being free" - Larry Flynt
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just as a point of information, the PayGenitals will not allow payment for virtually anything related to firearms, including collector ammo, shooting ammo, and many other items, including C&R items, antiques, etc. eBarf is so far left PC they fell of the edge of the earth. There are other, albeit less convenient, ways of handling payments. In fact, given their absurd processing charges, it makes no sense to use this "service" unless one is dealing in an international transaction which always entail currency hassles. BTW, it is possible for Canadians to obtain PMOs from Canada Post denominated in $US which the USPS will honor without question or hassle.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the French." (Mark Twain)