In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

STill messing around with the 7.35 Carcano...

jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
edited March 2002 in General Discussion
When I want to do some serious shooting I leave the Italian thing at home, but just for tinkering...I bought a bullet mould in .300 and have tried some cast bullets. Round one: I tried the cast bullets (124gr) in a resized M-S Norma case with IMR 3031. I loaded 9 three round sets. Round one had 24 gr, adding one grain per trio up to 32 gr. None of them hit what they were aimed at, with no pattern to speak of. Worst shooting I've ever seen. So I'm going for a different powder. Next, I am going to try some Red Dot shotgun powder (great for cast bullets in rifles too), and something really old fashioned: a case full of Cartridge grade Goex blackpowder. Probably foul the bore after a few shots due to the small diameter, but it's worth a shot since I have the stuff. I WILL persevere!!! Incidentally, I've had it with my 6.5 1941 long rifle Carcano. Can't hit squat with it, either. So next gun show, it is going and will go to the best offer, within reason.
"...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conference in 1899.

Comments

• Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You've got to be doing something wrong. Using one of those 7.35 Tierni's, Lee Harvey Oswald killed JFK in a moving vehicle, with a head shot, from the 6th floor of an industrial building.
  • Options
    Hans GrueberHans Grueber Member Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah V, sure he did, all by his lonesome. I've often heard of the magic u-turn bullets he used to hit him from those differing angles.
  • Options
    the loveable rat...the loveable rat... Member Posts: 969 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    jonk- do you have a schmidt-rubens(the swiss deal w/ the ring on the end of the bolt) yet? i've heard that the first foriegn made military bolt rifle competition at camp perry(pendleton or? some such match locale) will be won by one of those...
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Yes, I have a Schmidt-Rubin 1911, and am getting a K-31 this week. To be honest, I haven't really messed with it too much yet though; it is sighted in at like 200 yards and I dislike that distance. It doesn't like the cheap 147gr pulled stuff that works so well out of my 03 Springfield, and I'm not going to shell out the money for the 168gr. Matchkings that the Swiss rifle gurus say works so well. Now that GP-11 surplus is showing up, I'll probably pick that up and try some of it. I suppose it is fair to say that Swiss rifles, in my experience, are finicky about their diet; but, for those who are really stringent loaders, they are probably the most accurate surplus rifles out there. They would be great in competition because they are so fast compared to turnbolt rifles.
    "...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conference in 1899.
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    v35, the weapon attributed to the greatest 20th century marksman was a 6.5, not the 7.35.Jon, wish I could help you. It's been 25 years since I messed w/ those two. They were a POS then and I'm certain the intrinsic accuracy has not improved in the interim. Still, while they were never tack drivers, mine used to shoot well enough to do serious damage to the side of the barn.