In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Was I at the right Gun Show?

OtomanOtoman Member Posts: 554
edited April 2002 in General Discussion
Went to the Tulsa Gun Show today. Wow! took me 4 hours walking at a pretty brisk pace and just barely seen everything that I was interested in. Now I was at Aisle 16B2 at 3:05 Sharp and no one from Gunbroker Showed up. The guy at the booth had never heard of 5db or Accushot. I walked both Aisles on Row 16 and never seen any armbands. Was I lost or were you guys hidding from me. P.S. A case of 7.62 x 39 ammo sure gets heavy after a while! I tried to buy the Abbot 105MM SPG Tank for $34,975.00 but the guy said It would put me over my limit on my Visa Card!HA!

Comments

• Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ever heard of Snipe Hunting?There was a competing event in Oklahoma this weekend. It was a Rennaisance Fair that drew over 100,000 last year in the rain! 250,000 were expected to attend this year. www.sca.org
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well it looks like I got caught holding that gunny sack and the long walk back to town once again IDSMAN75, Along with a case of 7.62 x 39 for 88 bucks It would have been cheaper to order it by mail order and not have had to carry it to the car. Man there is a lot of difference in what a case of 7.62 compared to .223 weights if you have to carry it very far...Well the old loner still had a good time all by himself I was so busy I forgot to eat. I got up this morning and my wife was asking me if I met the Gunbroker buds and I told her the story. She said you don't know any of those guys you are talking to on Gunbroker, they might all be 14 year old kids. HA! There must have been some sort of Corvette Convention that weekend also, as I saw a bunch of em! Now I will probably end up getting embarassed over this if I find out that I was at the wrong place. but we will see. OTO
  • Options
    edited November -1
    IDSMAN75, That must be another reason why I like you. We both live in the kingdom of Calontir....OTO
  • Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oto,If you come up to the Des Moines Gun show Apr. 19-21, at the Iowa State Fairgrounds, I'll meet up with you and buy lunch....Idsman will be there also, promise you won't be stood up.....(unless you have green hair and look like Charles Manson.) RembrandtPS....I think 5db's booth was 16-D-2[This message has been edited by Rembrandt (edited 04-07-2002).]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Man that is a Righteous offer but I have all of my vacation planned for the year and it is about a 8 hour drive from here to Des Moines, Now if I was still living in Corning Iowa like when I was a kid it would be a cake walk. Now about my looks, I have been told that I look like Dick Butkess? but I do kind of have far away eyes? P.S. I will be in Knoxville Iowa for the World of otlaws Sprint Car Nationals August 7-8-9-10 The good Lord willing I may look you guys up then. OTO
  • Options
    5db5db Member Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Otoman, not to make tooooo fine a point here, but if you go back and read the thread about the show, where plans were being made, I think you'll find the missing clue. (Rembrandt is right though.) Only one gentleman walked by with the armband, I think he also was wearing a t-shirt with "I'm not lost, I'm from GunBroker" on it. A 10 Gallon straw Cowboy hat, boots with spurs that had little tiny bells on them. Complimented with a cross draw, double holster rig with a brace of nickel plated Jennings .32's. Gotta admit, I was tempted to stop him but he looked a bit twitchy. (I'm relieved to know that wasn't you, he wasn't carrying any ammo) Anyhow, If you had stopped by, I'd let you carried some of my ammo out to my car also....
    If you have one shot...Accu-Shot Website[This message has been edited by 5db (edited 04-07-2002).]
  • Options
    218Beekeep218Beekeep Member Posts: 3,033
    edited November -1
    Hey 5db....you don`t suppose that was Saxon Pig....do ya?.218
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Otoman--Did you know about the SCA before I posted the link? 13fister and I (along with a non-GB friend) did some dueling with the schlager blades and the rapiers last march during the legendary Oklahoma camping trip. I really need to get a scanner and post some pictures. You wouldn't get stood up at the Des Moines show. However, our First Sergeant is getting a little froggy like he did around Christmas time and is threating us with working on Sundays. We never know if we have the next day off or what our hours will be the next day until the very last minute.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    5db. That was a typo above. I was at 16D2 which was at the far N.E. Corner of the building. The north end of the second row. I kept asking the guy about 5db, gunbroker,accushot, meeting guys, He asked me why we were meeting etc. I think he thought I was a nut case. I will admit I didn't have my arm band on because it was a harley bandana and Mostly Black with a little red in it. But I did consider having one of those hooter girls tie it on for me. Aw quit that and I will break your leg...is what I would have told her....I was not inconvienced about it at all just having a little fun OTO
  • Options
    edited November -1
    218, nope Saxon walked right up grabbed a handful of them Jalapeno Peanuts threw them in his mouth and chewed them up shell and all and swallowed them. Then, looked down at me and said, Sorry, I must be at the wrong table.....
    If you have one shot...Accu-Shot Website
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Oto, Was there any peanuts where you went?I'm afraid you have me confused. North yes, East no. Row 16 is almost in the middle of the building one or two rows West of the front doors. It is possible if you were going by the numbers on the orange steel beams, you would have been in the NE corner. This is confusing and if I'd thought about those beams, I would have mentioned it. (In October I'll post my location by GPS.... ) I was there Saturday only, sold out and closed up around 6:00. Sorry we didn't get to meet. Cero didn't make it?PS. Accu-Shot is still a well kept secret, that's what keeps us 6-8 weeks behind.
  • Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Should have came to the show in Mt. Bethel PA. I met up with NJRETCOP, and IBTRUCKN. Want to meet up with gunbroker gang, you should go to the PA shows.
    Happiness is a warm gun
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Idsman75, I knew nothing about the SCA until you posted the link. And by the way I was not questioning your Character about meeting at the Iowa Show. I was just funn'n because of your post about the snipe hunt. I believe you to be a man of high standards....OTO
    KIMBER: Pistol du jour
  • Options
    edited November -1
    5db, no Larry said he was to busy building traps to go to the show. Unless he changed his mind and went with someone else? I did see Mike Murphy there and he is a friend of Larry's also but no Larry.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The Isle in the N.E. part of the building had metal signs in the Isles 17-16-15 etc from East to west so that is the confusion. Was you down there somewhere close to the guy with all of the High Dollar Shotguns? I came in the back door on the north. Oh and by the way I bought the ammo about 1/3 of the way through the show at the beginning of the top level at the north side. He held it for me until i was Ready to go...I couldn't have carried that ammo around the whole show you must have me confused with dano.OTO
  • Options
    wipalawipala Member Posts: 11,068
    edited November -1
    Ottoman the table was at 16 D 3 I was confused at first but found it Met Icconoclast and Saxon Pig as for me I forgot the bandana. It was a great show but I'm sorry you missed everybody. Maybe in October at the next big one we can get it better organised.
  • Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Otoman,Small world you being from Corning....I'm originally from Greenfield, you guys always seemed to have a good football and wrestling program.....Rembrandt
  • Options
    BoomerangBoomerang Member Posts: 4,513
    edited November -1
    Otoman - Don't feel rained on. I was there, but I thought it was row 12, table D, very bad memory. I hung out on the lower floor, but then gave up when I didn't see any one. I too forgot my red bandanna, but I kept scanning for red bandannas until I got a headache. I then asked one of the exhibitors and found out there were two floors with the same row and table numbers. Boy I felt dumb. I did manage to find the GunBroker Table. I met Beth from GunBroker. Nice people Admin.they deserve a raise. I was told Judge Colt was there, but missed him too. FYI, I managed to get an autograph signed copy of the Blue Book, nice fellow. Sorry I missed everyone. I don't understand why they did not have a map of the place, nor a message board set up. That would have really helped. Last words: Oh my aching feet, but I had fun! Boomer
    Protect our Constitutional Rights. [This message has been edited by Boomerang (edited 04-08-2002).]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Oto--I know you weren't questioning my character. I just think that gun shows are a great way to bring GB junkies from the same geographical regions together and meet. It's a way to keep the spirit of the gun show alive. I had never been to a gun show until 1997 (one year after I bought my first gun) and have been hooked ever since. I have been known to drive out of my way to go to shows that I KNEW would be mediocre just for the remote chance that I would see something that I have never seen before or meet someone that I hadn't met in a long time. I loved the gun shows in Tacoma, WA and Syracuse, NY. I am really enjoying the Des Moines, IA gun shows. I'll be the first to admit that I've never bought a gun at a gun show. I've made too many impulsive purchases. I get buyer's remorse and then end up selling the gun or trading it for something that I truly want and then find myself regretting the loss. There aren't many places where I can handle a wide variety of guns around here. Closest place is 90 miles away and the work schedule prevents that from happening more than a few times a year. I start to get the itch to browse and fondle every time another Des Moines show approaches. I know that I won't be buying a gun but it sure is a heck of a lot of fun and is worth the early wake-up and 3-hour drive to get there when the doors open.
  • Options
    218Beekeep218Beekeep Member Posts: 3,033
    edited November -1
    That`s the spirit!
  • Options
    wipalawipala Member Posts: 11,068
    edited November -1
    A lot of the Dealers at this show only do this show. They price their guns so high in hopes that someone will get frustrated at all the walking and buy theirs instead of go back looking for the better deal. A lot of those prices start really dropping on Sunday afternoon Saxon Pig it was nice meeting you and Iconoclast. We'll get it better organized next time
  • Options
    wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I didn't get to attend this one but have been to several. I am going to try to get to the Oct. show. It's fun to just see that many quality collector guns in one place. P.S. Oto, Did you spend your whole $200.00?
    "It's great to be great, but it's greater to be human." Will Rogers
    standard.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Wundednee, I bought a Case for my MAK-90 $25.00, a range bag $13.00, a Magazine and 2 Magazine extensions for my Kel-Tec P-11 39.00. a case of 7.62 x 39 Russian Wolf for $88.00, $10.00 for admission. So the Grand total is
    $175.00 ...25.00 left for seed..I got to slobber over (3) old Browing Hi-Powers but didn't buy them came home and won one on Gunbroker last night..Man I am living....And by the way guys the guy on row 16 told me that his booth was 16LD2and now it dawns on me the the L Stood for Lower Level..Man am I dummy or What, My apologys for being at the wrong place, See you all October 19th Now what is that Latitude and Longitude again....OTO
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Otoman, really sorry to have missed you. I suspect you were on the lower level? The tables had a similar numbering system there and unless one noticed the designation L preceding the "D", it would have been damn confusing. I was there the night before & it took me a good while to figure it out.

5db - returned to your table later in day and found you gone; now I know why. Sunday it was full up w/ some entirely different goods & dealers, if you can believe it. And thanks again for your hospitality. My wife was very impressed w/ you, FWIW.

Nice to meet SP, wipala & 5db. Sorry to have missed the rest of you folks (duckhunter, Boomerang & Oto) . . . don't know if I'll make it out there again. Certainly not in October - that's duck season in NH!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Otoman, If I'd known that they repeat the row numbers for the upper and lower levels I would have made that distinction. Sorry. Yes, Murphy stopped by, his tables are only about 3 rows west of were we are. October, I plan on being at same spot 16-D-2 (trust me on this wipala :) ) I'll have my three sided sign up about 12-14' shows the butt of a .... rifle with an Accu-Shot. If you can't look up, look down. When you see peanut shells, your close, look for them on the table in a wooden bowl.

Iconoclast, I enjoyed meeting you and your wife. I found your wife interesting in that through her, I got a glimpse of what those early immigrants must have felt about America. You guys make a great couple! (I have no clue what FWIW means) I'm going to try and find that article about the photographer I was telling you guys about. If I do I'll let you know the particulars. I'm glad you made the trip and found some goodies to haul back. Ducks in October?

• Options
    edited November -1
    I will try this one more time in October now that I know where to go, but by then I will probably have all of the guns that I will ever want so will probably go just to look, meet the gunbroker people and bring home some ammo. OTO

KIMBER: Pistol du jour
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    5db -

FWIW = "For What It's Worth"

Absolutely ducks in October! Also an early goose season in late September. We still have some snow on the ground in the woods, despite the mild winter and the last ice in the lake will be gone today. Reciprocal is true in the fall; usually ducks start moving through by Oct. 5th +/-. The split season is interrupted for deer and by the time the riflemen quit, most of the inland waterways have ice skims so about the only action is down on the coast. We're off the main flyways hereabouts, so it's mostly jump shooting from canoes, which doesn't work real well when you're breaking ice.